Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 11-22-2003, 05:13 AM

Rausch Creek. Friday after Thanksgiving

There is a small group headed for RC the day after Thanksgiving. This will be my first trip to RC so I have no clue what trail to run. We'll just get a map and do our best. Anyone who wants to join in is welcome.
Old 11-22-2003, 09:12 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
What types of trails will you be running? What other vehicles will be going? Lifts/lockers/tire size....

I am interested but also don't want to hold anyone back.

EDIT: Here's a link... http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.com/maps.asp
Old 11-22-2003, 05:11 PM

Well, I was going to work on Friday, but if there are some of you wheeling, especially at RC, I may have to take a day....

Jamie, come out. Even if they are running higher trails, I will make sure you get some wheeling in. You can see the park sans snow.

You guys let me know what you want to run, and I will get you there. Jim, I saw on the creeper board that you hate mud. Well, you are in luck, because there are MANY trails with just rocks. We actually took a lot of grief from people because of our early lack of trails without mud. Well, we found mud, but I hate it too, so anything I cut, is without mud.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:21 PM

Upon further review, I have to work on Friday. I will be there Saturday though if you want to tag along Jamie. I am going up there with a couple other guides and we are going to pre run all the stocker trails before our open ride on the 7th (which, if you want to wheel, you can come up that day too).
Old 11-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Mark,

I'm going to try (for this Saturday too). I haven't been out for a long, long time and I wouldn't mind getting my Jeep dirty again. Lynn going to be there too? I haven't seen her in a while.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:22 PM

Wheres this Place

I some one tells me where it is i will try to come too and maybee
bring some friends
Old 11-23-2003, 10:38 PM

Duh

Its really late so thats why i went right by da link, its just south of paragon, not making any promises but i will try to make it, what time are you meeting saturday?????
Old 11-24-2003, 04:34 AM

I'm still on for Friday. Sorry the rest of you can't make it that day. Friday is my wife's baking day and her sister will be over all day. I get a free pass so I take advantage of it and bug out.

Mark, this will be my first trip there. Any "must see" trails I should work into the plans?
Old 11-24-2003, 05:25 AM
Arizona Chick

Now Jim, I never said I wasn't going to attempt to get there Friday too. With my track record though.... you'll never know.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:00 AM

Jim,

Not sure what your vehicle capabilities are, but regardless, you need to see Rock Creek. It is on the west side. It is an 1800 foot glacial deposit with huge rock, most part void of trees.

On the east side, we cut open a new small rock garden this weekend. Lockers and 33s minimum.

Trail 5, 33s and one locker (and good spotting) is fun. Trail 2, 31s, locker for optional lines, is one of my favorites. My absolute favorite is trail 13. Runs parallel to the Rock Creek. I have dragged TJs on 31s through, but there is one tricky section.

Trail 6 is fun too. There are 4 parts, from bottom to top. The middle two sections are fun for me, the top and bottom sections are a little hard for me (TJ with 33s and one locker), but pick your poison.

Have fun and take some pictures.

Jamie-- Lynn will be there.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:58 AM

Those trails sound tame. I'm in a TJ, 35's, double locked, flat skid, armored, low geared, and trailered. I used to guide at Paragon back in the day. I prefer trails like Pick Your Poison, M, etc. Just rocks, no mud. Thanks for the reccomendations.

I'll see what we can find. Of course, we will be trail limited by the least common denominator. So depending upon who shows up, trails will be selected in kind. It's all good to me, I just lke being out in the woods in my Jeep. I'll check with Lynn when I get there.

C'mon Jamie, get your junk together and get out to break some stuff.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Yea, yea, yea... I hear you. That whole break some stuff would be very bad though.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Those trails sound tame. I'm in a TJ, 35's, double locked, flat skid, armored, low geared, and trailered. I used to guide at Paragon back in the day. I prefer trails like Pick Your Poison, M, etc. Just rocks, no mud. Thanks for the reccomendations.

I'll see what we can find. Of course, we will be trail limited by the least common denominator. So depending upon who shows up, trails will be selected in kind. It's all good to me, I just lke being out in the woods in my Jeep. I'll check with Lynn when I get there.

Alot of our trails were cut with clubs in mind, to help eliminate the 'least common denominator' factor. There are bypasses for tough obstacles. Trail 2 is an awesome club trail, and the upper section of 3, and the second section of 6 parallel each other, and are very close in sections. It is nice for the stockers to see the hard core guys that way.

I did M, or at least part of M, last weekend. All those trails along coal road have taken a beating since NUEROC. They are all blown open, but still fun.

The other nice thing about Rausch, no coal buggers. If you have wheeled at Paragon (and Jim I know you have), you know what I mean.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:00 PM

How far south of RT80 is it???
Old 11-24-2003, 01:02 PM

coal bugger

Whats a coal bugger ,elaborate, please the suspence is killing me
Old 11-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by Makatak 350
How far south of RT80 is it???
Isn't it about 10 miles to Paragon from 80 and I believe Rausch is another 20 past Paragon.

I believe there are directiosn in the link above, but you'llhave to find it in there as I'm not sure where exactly it is on the site.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:43 PM

Cool

Im going to try to get there on saturday, do you have a time or exact location where you are meeting???
Old 11-25-2003, 04:43 AM

The MX park of Rausch Creek is where everyone meets to pay, and to fill out waivers.

Take 81 south to exit 107. At the exit, make a left onto 209. Go up a hill and the next left about 3/4 of a mile up the hill you will see an MX park. Pull in there, you will see us. I drive a black TJ with red Rausch Creek stickers on the windshield.

From there, we will hit the trails. We typically meet around 8, and are on the trails by 9, but that is flexible.

Coal buggers are what is made when you mix coal dust with snot. Nice, black, buggers.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:34 PM

Thanks Marc

I would really like to come and i'm currently planning on it
Old 11-26-2003, 04:17 PM
Arizona Chick

I'm bailing for Friday.

1. I'm still sick and don't need to get wet on top of it. I've almost kicked it but I don't need to be soaked and bring it back to full illness.

2. Long lost friend of mine is back in town for Turkeyday, didn't know about it until today and he's looking to meet up to catch up. So it'll be a late night on Thursday as we always just talk and talk.

Mark,

I am planning to make it for Saturday. Time still 8-9am and at the MX area? 10 dollar one time fee and 20 bucks to run making it 30 bucks total correct. I may get in contact with Lynn to see if she wants someone to ride with her as it's been a long time since she and I have talked at all in a long time. That will then be 5 bucks right if I go as a passenger?

Jim sorry to bail again, I suck...
Old 11-26-2003, 11:18 PM

Jamie,

You cut trails before, so you should have a free ride coming..... Check with Lynn, we can work something out. Bring our rig.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:27 AM

RC

Where is this place at. Here in Arkansas we have the Superlift Park at Hot springs. I this anything like that. Is it woth the drive.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:41 AM

It is in Central Pennsylvania. I think it is worth the drive, but I am biased..... It is very close to Paragon (35 miles), so many people coming from a far, try to do both parks.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by mark99tj
Jamie,

You cut trails before, so you should have a free ride coming..... Check with Lynn, we can work something out. Bring our rig.
Yea that's what she told me. I'm going to get there around 9am (maybe a little before). Lynn says she diesn't noramlly get goign till colser to 10 due to office stuff.

She also said I could also be a "slut" for the day.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer
Yea that's what she told me. I'm going to get there around 9am (maybe a little before). Lynn says she diesn't noramlly get goign till colser to 10 due to office stuff.

She also said I could also be a "slut" for the day.
Ok, see you there.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Arizona Chick

Jim, did you make it out?? What did you think?
Old 11-28-2003, 06:33 PM

I made it. It rained all day. Since it was wet it was muddy and the rocks were absolutely impssible to hold a line on. Mud was everywhere, and I HATE mud. I bent my oil pan, busted the bell housing and generally just beat the hell out of the Jeep. The day was fun, the people were good , but the park and the trails were no good in the rain. I'll try it again when it's dry, as I had to pass on a lot of obstacles due to the poor conditions.

I only got to see two trails (6,2) before my fuel pump died, but it seemed that the obstacles were pretty far spread out. It was also a lot of off camber creeping through the woods with no obstacles in sight.

Overall I was not impressed, but I realize the weather conditions were a large factor. This year of wheeling is over for me, but I will definately go back next spring when it's a dry day and check things out again.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:16 AM

Well, you saw two trails, and never made it to the west side.

Sorry you feel that way, but we don't have a hotline to god to stop the rain, and since you hate mud, I pretty much figured you would hate the park, when you go on a day when we get an inch of rain, during a year where they are over average by 14 inches this fall.

Come back in the spring, and I will personally keep you out of the mud, and on the rocks.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:28 AM

Mark,

Relax, I said the weather was a major factor. I also realize the park is still in its infancy. I could see some really good obstacles, but couldn't run them. The comment about the hotline to God was a bit sardonic don't you think? My observations were totally accurate and not at all out of line. I posted my opinion based on objective observations and tempered it with a desription of the weather.

In a brief conversation with Lynn yesterday we talked about some of the areas of the park that have yet to be developed. She told me of some large rocks formations that are tottally untapped. I expect it to take a year or so to get those areas cut and open for use. I used to build a fari number fo trails at PAP and if time permits I'd like to help build some at RC.

You have a personal interest in seing the RC park do well. My interest in seeing success lies in having another area to wheel my rig. With so little available land on the east coast another park opening its gates it a big deal. If you would like to talk further about some of the observations I made and are open to some suggestions from a first time visitor, I will be happy to do so out of the public eye via email or PMs.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:50 PM

I would welcome any comments you have for the park. mlecher@att.net

You are correct, I do have a vested interest in the park, but you must also see my side-- you went up on a totally miserable day, and unfortunatly, you were not able to see a lot of the park, because of the fog and the rain.

You are also correct in me wanting to keep discussions like this private. But, there are so many rumors floating around about us, that I feel I must defend the park at every corner. I do apologize for that. And my comment about the weather-- it was total sarcasim and, well, there is really not much I could do about the weather. If you would have gone to Paragon, you would have been faced with the same rain.