Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-19-2004, 10:35 AM

RE says my rear shocks aren't too long

When I swapped out the 5.5" RE LA parts for their 4.5" equivilents before installing the kit, RE said the rear shocks did not need to be changed. So I swapped the front shocks and all four springs and kept the rear shocks that originally came with the 5.5" kit.

I just discovered Friday night that the rear shocks are bottoming out after thinking it was just the rear bumpstops. I figured trimming the bumpstop would cure it so I wasn't all that worried. Was I ever wrong!

RE emailed me back to confirm the rear shocks I installed are indeed correct, suggesting maybe the RE shock brackets were welded on too high. (what a crappy welding job at that)

If I cut the mounts off and rotate them downward so the shock mount is positioned lower, does it seem possible that little bit of extra room will give enough additional room for the shock? I'm worried that rotating the mount down enough to give enough clearance will position the shock strut too close to the axle. What do you all think? I know it's hard to know without seeing it but...