Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-22-2004, 04:01 PM

Thumbs down GEICO Insurance can eat my......

I've been carrying auto insurance with GEICO for well over 7 years with ZERO claims, and as many as 6 vehicals at a time and only 2 drivers. Their rates seemed to be okay/competative & I've never had an issue. Well......that is....not till yesterday!!

I went to renew my policy & I started getting all sorts of questions concerning my YJ. They wanted to know everything about it - which I don't have a problem with. When I first began using them I had to have it inspected, pictures taken, and make a long list of items I've done to it for theft reasons etc, and keep all reciepts for future modifications since then. Over the past year - I've only put ~1,300 miles on it, almost all of it off-road.

To make a long story a little shorter - they refused to insure it. Their reason is that they will not insure it if ANY lift is installed AT ALL!! Any modifications as far as height goes - and they refuse to insure the vehical, period. They mentioned that this was a simi-recent change in the way they do "business".

Not only that...but they told me I fell into several different discount catagories & they needed to have one of their insurance underwriters mail me a quote....IN ~7 DAYS! They couldn't even give me a quote over the phone if I decided to stay with them!

Well, guess what?? They'll NEVER see another dime from me!! I'm now with AAA! I went from 30/60K coverage to 60/100K coverage for nearly the same cost!

EDIT: If this better belongs in the Black Label Forum, please feel free to move it.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Wow, Joe, that really stinks but at least you've got something better. Are you transfering the other vehicles too? I would assume you would.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:28 PM

Yep, Dodge, Tercel & Jeep are all insured by AAA.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:29 PM

I disliked Geico on principle after I found out a couple of years back, that they like making a gift of radar guns to local police and sheriff departments.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:59 PM

Geico quoted me over $1500 a year to insure a motorcycle I was looking at.

State Farm was $386 a year.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:18 PM

I've been real happy with AAA Joe, I think you'll like them. And I've never heard anything good about Geico....

A few here like Robert and Stu will remember the kid with the red YJ (where the curse of the red Jeep began) that wrecked it through simple abuse during our trip to Death Valley years ago. AAA just about completely rebuilt his trashed Jeep with a new front axle, transfer case, transmission, and new tires after they flat-bedded it out of Death Valley. No questions asked, they just took care of it even though they knew it all happened while this kid was offroading. That convinced me to continue hanging with AAA.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:11 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Joe,

Why in the world are you not using USAA?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:38 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
I've been real happy with AAA Joe, I think you'll like them. And I've never heard anything good about Geico....

A few here like Robert and Stu will remember the kid with the red YJ (where the curse of the red Jeep began) that wrecked it through simple abuse during our trip to Death Valley years ago. AAA just about completely rebuilt his trashed Jeep with a new front axle, transfer case, transmission, and new tires after they flat-bedded it out of Death Valley. No questions asked, they just took care of it even though they knew it all happened while this kid was offroading. That convinced me to continue hanging with AAA.
now this is something i need to know more about
i have heard of this "curse of the red YJ" but never really knew the story, nor its origination.
enlighten me
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-23-2004, 12:48 AM

Well, it all started out with a group run out to Death Valley to try out the "amazing" Lippincott Mine Road trail.

Which was very soon renamed the "Limpdick" mine road due to an overenthusiastic and overstated difficulty-wise (to put it mildly) web write up.

And the story continues......

(who would like to keep the story going?)
Old 12-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I just dumped Geico myself, after getting a quote from AAA for $200 less (per 6 months).

To make a long story short, I started with Geico about a year ago and they were most happy to ensure my lifted TJ. I filled out a separate form that had all of my big ticket items on it (lift, ARBs, bumpers, tirs and wheels, etc.) and that was all that was required. They charged me an extra $10 per month for it.

I was to renew with them on Dec. 2 of this year. I shopped around and then bought AAA that started on Dec. 2. About a week later, I got a notice from Geico saying my insurance would expire on Dec. 16th. hmmmm.....that doesn't make sense, but since I already had insurance, I called Geico to see if I could get a refund. Get this, they sent me a bill for the time frame of Dec. 2 to Dec. 7th (when I called them) for coverage. I called them back and ask how I could owe money when my policy ran out Dec. 2nd? They informed me that they automatically extended my coverage because they thought I simply had forgotten to renew with them. Yeah right....and I am sooooooooo sure that if I had been in an accident on Dec. 5th, they would have sent me lots of money to fix things! LOL I finally had to send them a copy of my AAA policy showing I was covered on Dec. 2nd. Geico finally dismissed the amount I supposedly owed them once I showed proof that I was covered by another company. Total bull ****!

Geico can go suck a mango root for all I care!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:42 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
Well, it all started out with a group run out to Death Valley to try out the "amazing" Lippincott Mine Road trail.

Which was very soon renamed the "Limpdick" mine road due to an overenthusiastic and overstated difficulty-wise (to put it mildly) web write up.

And the story continues......

(who would like to keep the story going?)
I was cleaning up an old hard drive (archiving to DVD) and found the directory with all of the Death Valley pics in it. I found you and your Dad standing by the Lippincott Mine Trail road sign.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mnjeeper
Joe,

Why in the world are you not using USAA?
That's a good/valid question! I'll PM you why.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:53 AM
dennisuello

i've been with AAA since last year, after i didn't like how Farmers handled my claim. Now, I've got two cars (will be three soon), house and life insurance through AAA.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:06 AM

i am using state farm. me had a claim a while back, and they handeled it great.
they kept me in a rental car until my truck was fixed, took care of all of the bills, and didnt raise my rate.
we have been with them for 17+ years.
all 4 vehicles are on it with full coverage, and 100-300 coverage.

no complaints so far with them. hell, they even covered a stolen laptop from my car, and didnt charge me a dime.

my rates may be higher than some though. i havent compared rates for quite a long time. i'm thinking for the level of service, and the length of time we have been with them, it is probably competatively priced.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:07 AM

now back to the "red yj curse."
i hear this on most every trail ride, because i drive a red yj. but no one will tell me the story.
lets hear it!
Old 12-23-2004, 08:44 AM

It a LONNNNGG story.

Carnage-
Red yj - 3, yes 3 BLOWN tires, 2 rims, all at different times.
IIRC the blow-outs, if you could call them that, would 'occur' about
a quarter mile after we fixed the one before.
Front axel, front spring, transfer case all bent.

The only other thing I can recall, is Art bending his tie rod, on the
first water fall in surprise canyon.

Lets just say this guy had issues. Spoon in the knife drawer.

I gave him an 'E' ticket ride back to camp then had to tell
him that he need to pay Dave for the tire/rim he bounced
off a rock at 50 mph.

We need a camp fire and a couple beers to properly tell the story.

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 12-23-2004, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Lets just say this guy had issues. Spoon in the knife drawer.

I gave him an 'E' ticket ride back to camp then had to tell
him that he need to pay Dave for the tire/rim he bounced
off a rock at 50 mph.
now, this explains a lot right off the bat. i thought it was a red yj problem, not a driver with a screw loose problem

more details.. more details.
this story has been a long time waiting
Old 12-23-2004, 09:02 AM

I?ve been happy with State Farm. After you?ve been with them for at least one year with no claims ask them to transfer you to State Farm Mutual. For some reason they don?t make this widely known but when I found out about it many years ago and asked about it they switched me with no problem and my rates went down by about one third. I?m not positive they still do it but it?s worth asking...

Brad
Old 12-23-2004, 09:11 AM

Hey Erik,
I like the 'coal cart' .
Hope you don't mind that me using that also.

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 12-23-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce David
Hey Erik,
I like the 'coal cart' .
Hope you don't mind that me using that also.
feel free...
Old 12-23-2004, 11:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
I'm all about TOP LINE in the LBC!

haha

I've got a great relationship with my broker. I'm horrible when it comes to using checks. I only use them for insurance payments, so I forget about writing the check and then spend my money and the check bounces and my policy is canceled. Then I get to go in and pay $150 to setup some new plan. The latest place I'm with will take a credit/debit card payment over the phone, that's my kinda company. Somehow my last payment got mixed up and didn't go through, the bank says they have no record of a request, the insurance company says the bank denied it. Had to pay double my payment to get it reinstated. They're pretty good about late payments and stuff though, which is cool as I'm ALWAYS forgetting to pay bills.

I had Progressive put full coverage on my Jeep just before I decided to buy the Dodge. I had screwed up my payment and thought if I'm going to pay to get a new policy, let's get some decent for a change. $200 a month for the Jeep, I got the Dodge, put the Jeep on minimum and covered the truck pretty well, and it was like $450 a month, MORE then my truck payment! Went back to Top Line, got setup with Bristol West and pay $230 for the same coverage, I can live with that. My record is getting cleaner and cleaner, and the next renewal should have everything negative wiped off. I can't wait!
Old 12-23-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad
I?ve been happy with State Farm.
Maybe you'd be happy with a kick in the nuts too? State farm will give you one someday.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Maybe you'd be happy with a kick in the nuts too?
That's possible, but I seriously doubt it. State Farm fixed my Camaro after someone poured gas on it and set it on fire. Also gave me no problem covering my claim in my only at fault accident. My entire family uses them and so far they have treated us well. You may be right about them but so far so good.

Have a Merry Christmas
Brad
Old 12-23-2004, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Maybe you'd be happy with a kick in the nuts too? State farm will give you one someday.
How long do I have to wait?
(Been with SF for 31 years now)

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:47 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff McRae
How long do I have to wait?
(Been with SF for 31 years now)
As little as one claim on your property?
Old 12-23-2004, 11:48 AM

I'm still waiting too.

Been with State Farm for 14 years and have yet to have any issues with them.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:27 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
Wawanesa all the way

I pay $763 for both the 02Jeep and the 03Stratus, full coverage for a year. I had one claim, in which they handled VERY well...it wasnt my fault, and they worked really well with the other insurance company, who DIDNT want to pay it.

When Dans rollover at Rubicon happened two years ago, (who coincidentally had Gieco...which they covered btw...a WHOLE NOTHER STORY) I thought Id check my coverage, they beat around the bush a bit about offroad use, but it was covered

The last time my insurance came up, I shopped around again. No one touched their rates. Suffice it to say, Im VERY happy with Wawanesas rates and customer service. I even make my payment online for free

Now, about Dan. Seems that they fully covered his roll...and didnt cancel him. Unfortunate for them. Because not even 6 months later, he had an extreme, end over end...airlift him to a hospital rollover out in Anza Borrego. Which again, (I believe ) they covered in full. Hes driving around another Jeep now. Maybe they re-thought their stance on 4wd vehicles because of him ???

Ya'll should check out Wawanesa. I think youll be suprised.

Tam
Old 12-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Reggae

We are using 21st century on all the vehicles. Remember my brother broke the Lancer a while back. Well it has not been fixed yet. It's been through two estimates already and it keeps on dragging on and on and on, no end in sight. Sure not all of it is the insurance fault, but they surly love taking their sweet time doing things.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:02 PM

i have to say the opposite about state farm. my truck was completely fixed in less than a week. frame damage, and like 3000 in body work on an old ranger.
i am a persistant bastard when it comes to getting service, but they took care of me. mind you, as i stated earlier, they had me in a nice rental while the truck was being repaired. i had a nice lincoln town car on their dime the whole time
Old 12-23-2004, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341
i have to say the opposite about state farm. my truck was completely fixed in less than a week. frame damage, and like 3000 in body work on an old ranger.
i am a persistant bastard when it comes to getting service, but they took care of me. mind you, as i stated earlier, they had me in a nice rental while the truck was being repaired. i had a nice lincoln town car on their dime the whole time
Oh, they took good care of me also for a few years. One accident and then a hail damage total on the same car a few years later. But....they turned all that around and screwed me later. The only bright side is I got about $1500 over what I could have sold my Mustang for when they totaled it (it was nice timing....I was already Jeep shopping), so I guess I broke even.