Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-27-2004, 12:17 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jays89YJ
Moving across the country

to Idaho. My parents are moving from Amherst, New Hampshire to Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. They're making the drive now actually. I'm having my Jeep shipped out there.

Anyone out there from this board? How is it? It's just 30 minutes East of Spokane, WA. I'm going to go out there on my next R&R and check it out.

My parents are downsizing houses, so there's not even enough room for my stuff anymore. I'm working overseas, so I'll store everything. Plus I don't plan on living with my parents anymore. My sister who is 21 is basically getting evicted though. LOL. She got a job overseas as well though...

Anyone know of some good spots to wheel out in these spots? Anyone know the tire coverage / lift laws in these areas?

-Jason
Old 08-27-2004, 06:50 AM

I am from the other end of the state, about 350 miles away.
That area is rich in silver mining history and forest service trails.
Tremendous fishing in that area, also. Lift laws seem to vary greatly by local enforcement, but are quite mild compared to NJ- I am sure. Pretty much keep the tires covered by a flare somewhat. I see quite a few rigs on 37's on the street. Might need mudflaps on the rear tires if it is really high. Only a few counties, Ada for one-where I live; have emissions tests required/yearly. Pre-OBDII vehicles get a sniffer only in the tailpipe. newer ones just get checked through the test port for OBD-II. And a visual for a Cat. converter. They did away with the annual vehicle "safety" inspection statewide-about 1980.
Insurance will probably be about 1/3 what you are used to paying. Sales tax is currently 6%.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:55 AM

Idaho

There is a 3-4 clubs in sourthern Idaho and I think north Idaho has a club called North Idaho Trail Blazers. I can't find a working site for them right now but I did find a little story about them in 4 Wheel Drive mag:

North Idaho Trail Blazers

Hope this helps, BTW Idaho is AWESOME for wheeling, just keep it low keyed we don't want everyone up here....LOL
D30 Lock-Rite
Skids
Lots more to come...
Old 08-27-2004, 07:22 AM
Banned

Awesome. I was looking into some property around Couer d' Alene. I've seen many pictures of the place, but still have not been there. I can't wait to go check it out though.

Do people from Idaho have an accent?

I was looking into Boise State University. They have a sweet engineering program there. I want to finish my degree in mechanical design engineering, but I should establish Idaho state citizenship first. Do you know about this university? Good reputation?

-Jason
Old 08-27-2004, 08:02 AM

Accent? LMAO no but people from the east do...lol I'm sure we talk a little different to some eastern folks but give it a month and you'll fit right in. Yes BSU and UofI are both great schools, BSU is more in the engineering side and medical, UofI has more Ag stuff. I have a feeling you'll love it out here, most people do. We have all 4 seasons but winter tends to run long sometimes. Anyway if you have more ?s just ask....
D30 Lock-Rite
Skids
Lots more to come...
Old 08-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TJandFSJ
Accent? LMAO no but people from the east do...lol I'm sure we talk a little different to some eastern folks but give it a month and you'll fit right in. Yes BSU and UofI are both great schools, BSU is more in the engineering side and medical, UofI has more Ag stuff. I have a feeling you'll love it out here, most people do. We have all 4 seasons but winter tends to run long sometimes. Anyway if you have more ?s just ask....
Cool. Yeah, I bet I'm going to be annoying with a Vermont accent. LOL. We don't say "Yall". I definitely have questions though.

I was looking at the Mechanical Engineering curriculum at Boise State University. I was actually very impressed because I've been looking at WPI, $40K/yr.

I'm used to long winters, but I've heard that the winters in ID are more mild than VT. I lived in NH for a few years and they had very icy winters. Just really crappy weather.

Is there a lot of work in Idaho? Engineering type work anyway? Is Boise a nice city? Hectic, laid back, crime rate?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:36 AM

The winters aren't as icy as in the east. We have wet winters and the snow stays around for a while (up north). Jobs?, well Boise area is your best bet for a good paying job. The Boise area is growing fast went from about 60,000 10yrs ago to about 300,000 now. All the little towns grew together so it makes it look like a halfway good size city. Crime rate is real low, if we have a murder it's on the news for a month. Cost of living is pretty low also, taxes are fair, real laid back area with lots of things to do. Traffic can be a pain, city grew fast and the roads aren't big enough but they are working on it. That and it seems like most families here have 3-4 cars..lol (I have 4 rigs, 2 drivers)
D30 Lock-Rite
Skids
Lots more to come...
Old 08-28-2004, 03:17 AM
Banned

It sounds like a nice place anyway... I guess I need to buy another vehicle. I don't think I want to drive my Jeep around every day.