Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 PM

Cold Air Intake

I have a swapped-in Dodge Magnum 5.9L V8 in my 2000 TJ, and like quite a few other folks with either the 5.2L or 5.9L engine, I've got a fairly persistent case of pinging. I don't really want this to turn into a "how do I get rid of pinging" thread, as I really want to focus on cold air intakes (and I exclusively use premium gas, re-routed my spark plug wires per the TSB, went with colder plugs, etc., etc.).

Anyway, here is a shot of my engine compartment showing my current intake:

While the above intake flows great (it has a special air hat that is totally open inside), it still delivers hot air from the engine compartment, especially from the passenger side headers, which only aggravates my pinging problem. I have looked at a number of aftermarket CAI systems, and they either don't effectively get air from outside of the engine compartment, or if they do, they draw from areas that worry me about potential water or mud incursion off-road.

With this in mind, I am getting interested in drawing cold outside air from the air box/plenum area behind the upper firewall that feeds air to the in-cab HVAC system from the air vent intake/cowl grill just in front of the windshield:

I know that some guys have done this mod in the past for the stock I-6 engine, but I have never heard of anyone doing it for a swapped-in V8 (although I wouldn't expect that much would be done differently except to perhaps go with a larger diameter air tube for a V8).

Has anyone done this mod for their I-6 in a TJ? If so, have you been happy with the results? Also, what did you do for a filter with this approach?

TIA,
Don