Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
speaking through it's speakers

been scratching my head over this one for a couple of years. maybe someone has a better knowledge of what is going on.

going back a few years in moab, the old uniden c.b in my tj was acting funny and i could hear my voice over the soundbar and dash speakers. being almost 15 years old that c.b had enough so i replaced it on the run with a compact cobra about the same size.

the antenna tuned well with our swr meter (it was tuned before also) and the c.b. worked great for the rest of the run. i still had to turn off the stereo because my voice would come over all the speakers.

it must be the coax.

replaced.

could it be the press on coax conector??

replaced x 2

removed the cobra and installed it in my dodge

installed new uniden in the tj, checked tunage of antenna and swr shows great settings.

still hear myself talking. cb works great otherwise and really gets out..

a year goes by and i decide to replace the coax once more....

a painstaking surgical install of the coax and a solder on end like stu features in his site. near perfect tunage of antenna and i can still hear me over the radios speakers fm/am/cd....

do i care about the on board entertainment? nope.. sweet loving bride does as do the lad and lass.

anything anyone can think of that might cause this other than coax?

over the course of the last two three years the antennas location has been moved around, multiple swr meters used, many different coax cables and ends exchanged, i even tried to wrap the coax in foil adhesive tape. i am about to call a witch doctor and go to town on it with a chicken.

could my power lines going to the c.b. cause this?
Old 08-07-2008, 01:02 PM

Why does it not surprise me that you hear voices...hopefully they are all friendly ones

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutch View Post
Why does it not surprise me that you hear voices...hopefully they are all friendly ones
lol!!!
now, next week i should be hearing voices with all the fancy drugs they want me to take after they get done cutting on my arm
Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM

Tim, it's real hard to keep a CB transmitter's audio out of a car radio... hard enough that I just shut my TJ's am/fm radio off when I'm using the CB.

Sometimes that kind of interference can be cured by making sure you don't have audio and coax antenna cables running parallel to each other, by making sure they cross over each other only at 90 degree angles. It's also an issue commonly caused by the am/fm radio itself where its "front-end", where all the RF detection takes place, is too easily overloaded by a local transmitter's signal. Better quality radios are more immune to interference but I don't know if there are any particular brands of car radios that are less suceptible but I doubt any cheapy am/fm radio like I run would help... odds are it'd have to be a fairly high-end am/fm car radio to help, if it did at all.

There are a few things that can sometimes help like installing a "high-pass filter" into the CB's coax antenna lead like at http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamacc/2914.html but I wouldn't even trust that to do anything other than suck a few bucks out of your wallet. I installed a similar but bigger filter onto my 100 watt ham radio transmitter in hopes of my signal not bleeding into the TV but it didn't help. I only use my ham transmitter when no one is watching TV.

My best advice is to just accept that your CB will bleed over into your audio system unless you find that you can improve the situation by moving the cables around like I suggested above. Good luck with it, or just keep the am/fm car radio off when you're using the CB.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Reggae

Maybe the problem is in the AM/FM radio...

You can't really 100% shield the CB, because that would interfere with its main function. So, then, you need to find a way to make the AM/FM radio stop from picking up what it's not supposed to.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:57 PM

it could be. it is an alpine cd player that has been in there for 5 years or so. it is hooked into the stock wiring via plug adapter. no amps. basic...basic...