Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2003, 12:36 AM
Reggae

Thumbs up Fall 2003 Fall Season Opening

The season opening was fun. We run the Sledgehammer.

On Friday, mrblaine, JeepKat, Chris L, and I hit the rocks for the first time after the hot summer. Getting back in the grove was definitely nice, and long waited. For Chris L it was the first Hammers run, and you could tell he loves this stuff.

For the second day, the attendance was the same, minus Chris, plus sethmark, plus Tommie with a white YJ on colovers. Andrew_TJ, rode the shotgun in my Jeep, talking pictures and video. The fun was served again in hefty portions. The Sledgehammer was as challenging as it has ever been, and seems very difficult after the season break.

My steering box is leaking. Oh well, it's gona need to be replaced one of these days?

What would be the highlight of the trip... Probably that the guy, who broke a Detroit earlier, broke the Ox locker, this time around. Yea, gimme a locker, I'll break it. I have yet to break an ARB, but I am working on it.

Thank you to Andrew_TJ, for the reality check. I was bragging on Saturday before the trail run, on how I never seen a tire damage that couldn't have been successfully plugged, to finish the trail, and that was why I wasn't carrying a spare tire, with benefit of compensating for the added weight of the corner guards.

First I ripped another hole in the sidewall of the tire that was damaged the day earlier. And then, I got an "L" shaped rip in the passenger side rear tire, that kept spitting out the plugs every time the jeep was put in reverse and the rocks got a grip on the garland of plugs sticking through the plugged tear. Man, we had to start with the plugs all over three times, and the tire would still not hold air.

Driving back home was definitely an experience; I would do anything it takes to avoid in the future. On my spare rack I had the tire that was no good. My Passenger side rear was the double plugged tire that showed pretty good spirit on Saturday.

Well, that tire decided to quit, on Interstate 15, just as I was approaching the Cajun pass downhill. Fortunately, by mrblaine's advice, I borrowed Andrew_TJ's spare tire, just in case. So I called up Blaine and Kat on the cello, and they came back with the spaare.

After the plugged tire was replaced, five or so miles down the road I was trying to figure out why was it my jeep feeling like there were gusty winds outside, but I couldn't see any evidence of significant wind on the tree tops and power lines. Until, a driver gestured me off the road with a look oh his face, as if he saw something scary.

The driver side rear was completely flat. Couldn't figure out the reason, and didn't have any spares left. The two tires that were not touching the road were dead. So we just had to put some CO2 in the flat tire, and stop to refill it several times. The pathologoanatomical study on the leaking rubber showed that the culprit was in fact damaged valve steam.

Anyway, my rims are going to be sent for beadlocking as the first measure, and I definitely want to be one of those guys who just bring their jeep the trails, unroll it, wheel, roll it back, and don't have to worry about driving it to and from the trails. Working on it.

The Sunday afternoon was spent figuring out what broke, and what needs to be replaced.

Next weekend there is going t be a lot of wrenching. Help needed. Sagged springs, all around, will be replaced with a fresh set. Bump stops are gonnna be replaced with Currie units, for more precise suspension travel dialing. The rod ends in the upper control arms need to be replaced. Steering needs to be taken out and straightened. A couple of control arm brackets will have to be welded because for the cracking. If I get the Advanced Adapters transfer case shifter bracket, it would be nice to install that too.

I am hoping to get an ARB locker in my front axle running this week, if John at All 4-wheel Drive can squeeze my jeep in.