Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 03-24-2006, 05:54 AM

3 inch budget lift (fabricated)

3" suspensiom lift 97-06 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) $75.00

I seen this "lift kit" on ebay it appears to work like a budget boost at least I think it does. I couldnt get the pic to load for you all. I did see something similar on this forum a long time ago someone had made thier own.
What problems will this pose if installed, ie would I need a trans drop kit, longer shocks, maybe the steering column is a problem like a BL, everything else I would think just sets under the spring spacers in its original position like a budget boost.

I was looking for a regular budget boost and found one with shocks for around $200 but ran across this, it just seems to easy to put these in instead of the $600-$2200 dollar suspension kits. How high can you go with these before you are sitting on top of a couple metal posts swinging back and forth on the stock springs like a bobble head jeep.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:32 PM

What do you do for longer shocks in this kit, if everything only costs $75 to fabricate?

That's the only thing I don't understand.

Or are the stock shocks somehow recycled as part of the fabrication? (although, right now, I can't picture in my mind how that would work).
Old 03-24-2006, 03:00 PM

The add does say you need shocks but what about disco's just like in a rubber budget boost. 3in seems alot because all the ones I've seen are only 1.5in unless you use the coil pads already in the jeep for the 2 in and they come w/shocks sometimes.

heres the link cut and paste this to see a pic.
3" Wrangler Lift Kit 97-03 is the name used the link is not working for some reason.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Wra...QQcmdZViewItem

heres the add for it:

They are made from "6061" T6 aircraft aluminum. The kit comes with four aluminum coil spacers.
This kit is designed to work with your factory suspension. You do not need to change anything on your stock suspension except your shocks. Any shock that will fit your year vehicle that is 3-4 inches longer than stock will work.
If you like the way your Jeep rides now (stock) you will like the way it rides with this lift. It takes approx 3 three hours to install with basic tools.
Your stock suspension stays the same, you are just enhancing it.
* This kit lifts your Jeep a FULL 3" in both the front and rear *
SUGG RETAIL $ 209.00
Old 03-24-2006, 03:59 PM

Well, if you have to buy shocks, it's really not that much of a better deal than the all in one budget boost kits that come with shocks.

I'm not an expert on this stuff at all. The knowledgable people will be back at the end of the weekend.

But at 3 inches, you could start running into issues like vibes from the rear drive shaft and you'd certainly have the axles shifted over a bit at ride height, due to the trackbars.

You'd certainly probably want to get longer swaybar links, at least, or disconnects for up front.

I know people don't have issues at all at 2 inches.

I'm not sure how much your % for issues increases at 3 inches. I honestly don't remember.

Hopefully someone will be along to help you.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:46 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by LArry 200 TJ

heres the add for it:

...If you like the way your Jeep rides now (stock) you will like the way it rides with this lift...
That statement is bogus. All other things aside, you will need new shocks, and if you get crappy or mismatched shocks, you will hate the ride.