Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-14-2002, 03:05 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Digital Picture of Digital Camera

Hi folks,

Yesterday while walking around Wal-Mart I came across what I think is the neatest little Digital Camera on clearance for $39.00

It is called the AIPTEK Mini PenCam 1.3 Maga

It can take and hold 160 pictures at XVGA quality

or

40 pictures at 1.3 MegaPixels!

It can also take and store up to 120 seconds of video at 10 fps.

This thing is so small. It measures 1-Inch square and 3 inches tall and weights less then 2 ounces with the batteries.

Picture transfer to the PC is via Plug n Play USB port.

While there are no bells or whistles such as a digital picture display (There is a LED screen to control camera functions), or even a flash, for it's size you can carry it around in your pocket and never know it's there.

Thought I would share this "find" with you for those who may be interested.

Here is a picture.

Frank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camera.jpg (8.3 KB, 279 views)
Old 09-14-2002, 07:39 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Frank,

Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting something like that for the TJ for trail pics....something that I won't get #$%&^!* over should it fall on the rocks and go boom.

I've got some time today....I shall visit the local Wally World and see if I can get lucky!
Old 09-14-2002, 08:30 AM

Hi Stu,

I do hope you get lucky too.

That is my intention as well, to leave in the glove box of the Jeep and not worry or cry if I drop it on the rocks.

I'm going to take this little thing out to JV next week and see how it works taking some pictures of the RCAA event.

Frank
Old 09-14-2002, 02:04 PM

Frank, don't let that be your only camera you bring. Last year I took over 600 pix at that event.
Old 09-14-2002, 02:25 PM

Hi Don,

WOW you do take a lot of pictures!

Thanks for the reminder. I too take a ton of pictures whenever I go to events like this. Being I will be out that way for a week or so I plan to bring my ThinkPad so I can download them at night.

(Reminder to oneself, pack USB cable!)

I need to test this little thing out some more to make sure it works well enough. So far so good but I would hope not to build a dependency on it and have the picture quality be to low.

Maybe I'll bring a 35 mm with me just in case. Guess I'm trying real hard to to have to hump too much stuff around the rocks with me.

Frank
Old 09-14-2002, 09:21 PM

Frank, a small backpack similar in size to what you see students using is quite handy. You might well be 300-400 yards or more from where you can park and it is convenient to have the things you may need with you. I carry H20, snacks, camera goodies, sunscreen, etc.
You can get caught up in the excitement and not want to run back to your vehicle. I am not talking a full blown Alice pack here!
Good & comfy, hiking type shoes are important. Along with a decent sun shading hat.
Yucca Valley weather forecast for Wed-Sat is mostly clear, locally breezy, low in 60's and highs from 92-100.
If you have one of those neck cooler scarves that is filled with water absorbing stuff (dessicant?)bring it along. They work well when it is quite hot.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:29 PM

Thanks Don,

Not knowing the logistics of the RCAA event at JV your pointers are very helpful.

I ran out to Wal-mart before and picked up a smallish back pack to take with me. I need to keep it on the light side so I forced the smallesh issue.

While I plan to start the day there with plenty of water and gator aid and snacks I am assuming there will be a vendor or two who will also be selling water? How about food? Or will I have to pack my own lunch prior to going in the morning.

When I went to Vernal they had two vendors selling eats and stuff. I am hoping JV will have a similar set up.

Once again thanks for the advice, it has been helpful.

Frank
Old 09-15-2002, 07:28 PM

Frank, Thursday is no problem in town for food etc. Last year the Victor Valley Four Wheelers set up a hot dog tent for food & drinks.(At the course) I assume they will do the same for both Fri and Sat.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed
Frank, a small backpack similar in size to what you see students using is quite handy. You might well be 300-400 yards or more from where you can park and it is convenient to have the things you may need with you. I carry H20, snacks, camera goodies, sunscreen, etc.
You can get caught up in the excitement and not want to run back to your vehicle. I am not talking a full blown Alice pack here!
Good & comfy, hiking type shoes are important. Along with a decent sun shading hat.
Yucca Valley weather forecast for Wed-Sat is mostly clear, locally breezy, low in 60's and highs from 92-100.
If you have one of those neck cooler scarves that is filled with water absorbing stuff (dessicant?)bring it along. They work well when it is quite hot.
Good advice Don. I'll be taking my son out to watch this event too, so I'll do what you're suggesting.