Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-18-2004, 07:33 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Vapor-ware finally turns into hardware

Well, I finally got a chance to put my hands on a pair of Ox u-joints.

Details at http://www.stu-offroad.com/ox/ox-uj-1.htm
Old 01-18-2004, 06:46 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Stu,

As always another great write-up with pictures!

Thanks for taking the time to put it up.

Please let us know how your friend finds the Ox U-joints to hold up.

If you don't mind I'd like to post a few pictures of the Next Generation of Ox U-joints.

They come complete with Axles. Very very strong Axles. (Innies and Outies).

While not available to the general public yet, I can assure you this is hardware. This U-jpint Axle System is currently being tested, but no date on when they will be available.

Here are a few pictures that I can post.

Sorry they are all a bit over exposed, but they are the best I can post right now.

Frank
Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Hi Frank,

Thanks for sharing the pics on the upcoming product. Those are very interesting looking. I look forward to hearing more about them.

I was hoping to get some discussion on this topic . Plenty of views but no comments but ours.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:03 PM
Reggae

Does it have an AGP slot?

Edit:

Ok. A serious question: what happens if the U-Joint goes dry (runs out of grease), do the friction surfaces offer any kind of self-lubrication, like brass material would?
Old 01-19-2004, 03:17 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I don't know, Sergey. I do not know what the body or trunion pins are made from.

Given the ease in which one can grease the joint, I am thinking one has to be a pretty lousy mechanic to let it go dry.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Hi Frank,

Thanks for sharing the pics on the upcoming product. Those are very interesting looking. I look forward to hearing more about them.

I was hoping to get some discussion on this topic . Plenty of views but no comments but ours.
Sorry Stu, my take is that I have spent all my discussion on their stuff and it has left me with naught but a bitter taste.

While I welcome the competition to the market and enjoy their ingenuity, I don't like they way they have ignored their customers in the past.

That leaves me without much to say. I did read your write-up and enjoyed it, and as I suspected the first time I saw how the pins were installed, wondered how the setting depth would be controlled.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I must admit that putting the trunion pins into the Warn shafts was MUCH easier than my putting a standard u-joint in the Warn shafts.

By the time we got to the 2nd u-joint, it wasn't so bad to set the depth. (learning as we went) We found that we could visually get them quite close and then we used the retainer for the "final fit" as we tweaked which ever pin need some adjustment. There was a certain amount of play in the retainer when all 4 pins were seated and you could feel it with your finger tip.

The doumentation was too typical of many aftermarket parts vendors....and 7th generation copy of a copy.

I believe it was pretty chicken **** of them to not include one of their extractors. However, if I remember correctly, Warn recommends using full circle clips on their shafts but yet they don't supply them either. I guess if one does it, they can all do it!

I wish I could fast forward things ahead to a couple of years from now so I could see how they hold up. Since Mike as Warn hubs, the joints won't see any highway miles. I would expect them to go for years and years without any issues, given the actual number of miles they will see.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:16 PM

I saw these locally here the other day. Very nice, heavy construction. But if I remember right, they were $150.00 ea.?