Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
General vehicle question ~ squad is looking for a "utility" vehicle

Anyone that can help, I'd appreciate it. Today at our monthly meeting our Captain brought up getting a "utility" vehicle for our squad. This vehicle has to perform a variety of functions.

1. Needs to fit a flat board (patient) in the back for removal from a house that a ambulance might not be able to get to in inclement weather (mainly snow and unplowed driveways) down to the ambulance.

2. Needs to be able to have a plow attachment (so we can plow our way in if necessary during the winter).

3. Needs to hold at least 4 people, including driver, that we can transport to the scene of a highway accident after the ambulance(s) have already left the building.

The vehicle will probably jump from crew chief to crew chief every evening so they can use it as the response vehicle to the building or to the scene (yet to be determined).

What I'm asking is, what would make a good "utility" vehicle? He mentioned that a Ford F250 Extended Cab would be good, the bed is long enough to hold a flat board, it can hold the plow and can hold 4 people.

What other vehicles should we look at?

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 08-05-2003, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ary'01XJ
3/4 ton suburban My buddy has one, and it's amazingly powerful and plenty big. Keeps the storage space climate controlled too, not sure if that matters though. It's what they use at Philmont Scout Reservation for emergency duties. For those unaware Philmont is in the back country of New Mexico and has many remote places that are only accesible by 4 wheel drive during foul weather. HTH

Ary
Old 08-05-2003, 07:24 PM

How about and old military 4x4 ambulance. Our local Sheriff's Office picked one up thru DRMO (or is it DMRO)?

Anywho, just a thought.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Darrell,

While that would be cool, I think he's looking for something within a couple of years old. He'd love to get an XJ but you can't fit a board in the back.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 AM

Jamie,

If the Ford truck route is considered make sure to get the 350, not the 250. The cost difference is minimal, but the payload difference is 1100#. Also, a crew cab would work, but and extra cab is not practical for four people on a regular basis. Bed length is a point for discussion. The short beds will easily hold a person, and are more maneuverable. The long beds will hold a person, plus plenty of gear. Consider a good shell to keep the weather at bay.

I won't get into the gas versus diesel debate, but make sure the engine is a PSD or the V10. The V8 is ok, but far from exemplary. I know the PSD can be bought with and ambo prep package, at least the old ones could. Blaine maight have more specifics, but I seem to recall the package included dual alternators, an idle controler (?), and a heavy service suspension to start.

Dodge and Chevy also make crew cab trucks; why not consider those? again, I refuse to engage in arguments, but the Fords are far and away more popular for the type of use you describe. It might just be the availability of parts, or perhaps there are financial incentives, but the Fords are more popular for department use. I hope this changes soon.

As mentioned, the Suburban is also a great choice if climate controlled storage is called for. Last time I checked the Suburban was only available in a 3/4 ton model, not a 1 ton model. Make sure the anticipated load is within the specs for a new model. Along these same lines is the Ford Excursion. Still only available in a 3/4 ton apllication.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
Unimog?

Tires, Axles, Lockers, Gears, Suspension, Armor, OBA, Recovery, Communication, Navigation and some misc. other gadgets.
www.BigRedHeep.com
Collin@BigRedHeep.com
---------------
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 Q-drive for daily use, bone stock.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JEEP_TJ_FREAK
Unimog?
Can they be bought in the states that are only a couple of years old?
Old 08-07-2003, 01:53 PM
Reggae

Lightbulb

Get an elephant. They are environmentally friendly, and can carry a lot of weight.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Can they be bought in the states that are only a couple of years old?
Brand spank'n new if you like.

I didn't see any age or cost limitations...

Tires, Axles, Lockers, Gears, Suspension, Armor, OBA, Recovery, Communication, Navigation and some misc. other gadgets.
www.BigRedHeep.com
Collin@BigRedHeep.com
---------------
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 Q-drive for daily use, bone stock.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Get an elephant. They are environmentally friendly, and can carry a lot of weight.
Never let it be said that Sergey doesn't come up with ideas and suggestions that are "outside the box".
Old 08-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Arizona Chick

Sergey,

Hehehehe, cute but I think that elephants aren't very good in the cold and are too slow to be all that effective. Then you have to think about the maintance and clean up costs.

Thanks for the suggestions... I'll be printing this post out when the time comes. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:00 PM

I'd look for a low mileage early '98 Ram with a Cummins(or should I say Cummins with a ram?)4x4, quad cab. But you probably won't find one...