Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-29-2004, 07:46 PM

towing

Can anyone help insure that my Warn rear bumper will be able to withstand towing my 500 lb. fishing boat? I'm thinking tow bar, but it seems redundant with the bumber having a receiver...

I'm sure more than one of you have thought the same thing...so was Murphy's Law working with or without you on this!?

FYI - Murphy lives vicariously through me and my recent Jeep project! I can't make it two weeks without a repair or upgrade. I may run out of money to own a Jeep and a boat! - JB
Old 01-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Re: towing

Quote:
Originally posted by backpack1
Can anyone help insure that my Warn rear bumper will be able to withstand towing my 500 lb. fishing boat? I'm thinking tow bar, but it seems redundant with the bumber having a receiver...

I'm sure more than one of you have thought the same thing...so was Murphy's Law working with or without you on this!?

FYI - Murphy lives vicariously through me and my recent Jeep project! I can't make it two weeks without a repair or upgrade. I may run out of money to own a Jeep and a boat! - JB
Would you have any issues putting a tow strap in the receiver tube and towing your buddies rig up a hill?

I know that I wouldn't and haven't with many non-rated receiver bumpers.

It's your comfort level. Personally, I have used my Currie non rated bumper on some pretty hard pulls and that was on rigs weighing 4000 lbs. plus. I don't think a 500 lb. boat would bother me in the slightest.

If it bothers you, slap on a tow receiver and be done with it.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:59 PM

I just need to hear that!

I just needed to hear that from someone whose out there using it! Am buiding my rig up for multi-purposes.

mrblaine - great website! I checked it out upon joining several weeks ago. We weep here in the midwest for terrain you have in your back yard! - JB
Old 01-29-2004, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Re: I just need to hear that!

Quote:
Originally posted by backpack1
I just needed to hear that from someone whose out there using it! Am buiding my rig up for multi-purposes.

mrblaine - great website! I checked it out upon joining several weeks ago. We weep here in the midwest for terrain you have in your back yard! - JB
which site?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:08 PM

site

http://justaddrocks.com/

I think I'm the sh#t running my Baja Claws in three inches of snow around here! - JB

(Although they did come in super handy the other day when I used them to break up a layer of ice on my driveway in order to make shoveling/clearing more easy!)