Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-10-2002, 11:18 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Engine Pre-Oilier / Auxiliary Oilier System Design

Engine Pre-Oilier / Auxiliary Oilier System

Over the last couple of weeks I have had more then the usual amount of time available to be to give some design thought to a Pre-Oilier / Auxiliary Oilier System for my Jeep.

I have done a bit of research on the Web and in the standard High Performance catalogs and have found many units already available for purchase, but the costs are a bit to high for my liking. This one isn?t rocket science and it shouldn?t command rocket science pricing either. With that is mind here is my overall high-level design plan.

Performance Requirements

System will use only existing engine oil to perform its functions. No additional oil reserves will be used. (I do not feel comfortable in managing 2 or 3 extra quarts of oil in my engine like many other pre-oilier / Accumulator Systems require.)

Pre-Oilier

Engine will be pre oiled to 10 PSI prior to starting to eliminate dry starts and wear associated with dry starts.

Starter Motor will be ?Locked Out? until 10 PSI has been reached. (A bypass switch will be installed to defeat this lockout if desired.)

Pre-oilier will shut off after a preset period of time (Selectable from 5 to 10 seconds.)

Auxiliary Oilier

Auxiliary Oiling will occur whenever engine oil pressure falls below 10 PSI as indicated by the factory Oil Pressure Sending Unit.

Auxiliary oiling will stop when engine oil pressure reaches 15 PSI or more.

Diagram of my thoughts

Obviously this is not to scale, but you should be able to get a decent idea of what I want to do here.

How this will function

When the ignition key is turned on the Timer/Pressure Control board will close the 20-amp relay, which will turn on the 12 Volt DC motor pump.

The pump will pull oil from a fitting located in the oil pan drain hole and pump the oil under pressure through a one-way check valve to the Oil Pressure Sending unit hole in the side of the block.

The Oil Pressure Sending Unit hole will be fitted with w ?T? fitting to allow for the Pressure Sending Unit to also be mounted at this location.

Once the system has pressurized the oil galleries of my Jeep?s engine to at least 10 PSI I will be able to start my Jeep.

After 5 to 10 seconds the Motor/Pump will automatically shut down and go into standby mode, waiting for an oil pressure drop to occur.

If the engine oil pressure should drop below 10 PSI for any reason the timer/pressure control circuit will turn the pump on to ensure a constant supply of oil, under pressure is available to the engine.

What I need help with:

I clearly need your thought and ideas on this. Suggestions on how to improve it, any drawbacks you see.

Most of all I need your help in identifying parts that I could use. Motor/pump, valves, ECT.

I have several lines on motors/pumps, but I am trying to determine their operating temp ranges.

Let me know what you think, and any ideas you want to contribute.

Frank
Old 08-11-2002, 09:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to JEEP_TJ_FREAK Send a message via Yahoo to JEEP_TJ_FREAK
Sweet, I have been wanting one of these too.

Tires, Axles, Lockers, Gears, Suspension, Armor, OBA, Recovery, Communication, Navigation and some misc. other gadgets.
www.BigRedHeep.com
Collin@BigRedHeep.com
---------------
2000 WJ Limited 4.7 Q-drive for daily use, bone stock.