Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 07-16-2006, 08:05 PM

Welding Stainless?

Mostly just out of curiosity, what is the correct method of MIG welding stainless?

I was in a pinch and needed to repair a broken stainless mirror bracket and was pleasantly surprised that my MIG with steel wire did a beautiful job welding it. It's just that the weld has now rusted. Do they make Stainless wire spools?
Old 07-16-2006, 09:05 PM

Yep, SS wire is available.

http://www.toolking.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=4316

Plus, you may want to check out this link too.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl.../migweldss.asp
Old 07-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Re: Welding Stainless?

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
Mostly just out of curiosity, what is the correct method of MIG welding stainless?

I was in a pinch and needed to repair a broken stainless mirror bracket and was pleasantly surprised that my MIG with steel wire did a beautiful job welding it. It's just that the weld has now rusted. Do they make Stainless wire spools?
I'm 99% sure I have a small roll of s/s .023 here somewhere if you want to give it a try.

The only reason you need Stainless wire is so it won't rust instantly, it will still rust though unless you electropolish it.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 PM

Thanks guys

Blaine, That is exactly why I wondered about stainless rod. So even with stainless rod you still need to have the finished part plated? I'm thinking about boat stanchions specifically.

I spent some time at a shop that built custom aluminum tuna towers. After they welded the tubes they used, what looked like, a paint pen to clean up the welds.

Not so easy with stainless?