Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 PM

Really newbie question!!

Sorry to ask what is likely a stupid question, but you have to learn somewhere, right?
Just bought a nearly new 04 Wrangler. Took it out to play and promptly got stuck in sand in hi-range 4X4. Seemed to have pleanty of power but just spun rt front and left rear wheels in the sand. Other wheels were stagnant. Shifted into 4X4 Lo and she pulled right out!
Question: when you go to 4X4 Lo, does that put power to all 4 wheels regardless of slippage? Is that why she came out so easily?

Just trying to learn about this incredible vehicle.
do
Old 10-17-2005, 06:13 PM

The lower gearing when you shifted into 4-lo kept you from spinning your wheels, so you managed to get unstuck.

BTW, nothing on your jeep transfers power to all 4 of your wheels unless you've installed traction devices of some sort in your axles (or you have a rubicon).

Your transfer case locks the front and rear axles together with regards to transfering power to the drivetrain, but unless you have a traction device in your axles, power gets transferred from one side of the axle to the other depending on traction.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:34 PM

Thanks, Speaceman. I was just suprised how easily she pulled out in 4-Lo.
Got a lot to learn.
do
Old 10-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Reggae

Some Jeeps come from the factory with limited slip rear differential that helps a little. Such limited slip can be made more effective by applying the parking break a click or two.

But we'd need to know exactly what jeep you have, and what it had installed aftermarket, to make specific recommendations.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:08 PM

Like I said, really newbie. I hope you guys have as much patience with me as I do with new sailors, something I do know about. We bought the Jeep to use in the NC mountains during winter snows and to play with on some trails in the area in the summer. Maybe get to some secret trout streams I know about. So I really don't know much about the vehicle. It's an 04 Wrangler, 4cyl, 5 spd. Not many options. How can I find out about the limited slip rear differential?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
jack up the rear axle so both tires are off the ground. spin one tire, the other tire will rotate one direction or the other. report.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 AM

Ahhhh...the great myth of 4 wheel drive - it will go anywhere.

If its a 4 banger 5 speed that means you have a Dana 35 and I don't think those came with a traclok but you can check by looking at the axle. There is a metal plate afixed, usually tot he diff cover with some numbers on it. Write those down and call a dealership to find out what they mean. Most likely what you have are open differentials which are great for driving on the street or forest service roads but as you found out, not all that great for serious 4 wheeling.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:54 PM

I had a 35 with 3.55s and a traclok.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:03 AM

You also have a 6 cylinder.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:40 AM

yup, I guess I do.

not only that... it passed smog today!!!! :yay: :cactus: