Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Expedition Build TJ

I'm in the process of assisting Lawrence with his conversion to an Expedition Rig taking into account as many factors as is remotely feasible.

During this process, we had occasion to deal with a Dropped RE Trackbar issue. It won't work with a 4" lift height because the bracket will run into the tie rod during articulation.

So, I opted for a Currie Trackbar due to it's simplicity and ease of install. But, I wanted the 5/8" bolt and Currie's 2.5" Johnny Joints use a 9/16's bolt.

So, I asked John if he had ever drilled any out for the larger bolt and it turns out they do for the JeepSpeed stuff.

Lawrence now has a Currie trackbar with a 5/8" bolt holding the frame end of the trackbar nicely in place.

This would make a good replacement for anyone who ruined the hole with the Currie 9/16" bolt or anyone who has drilled the mount out to 5/8" to run the standard RE trackbar.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

So, I had been gathering parts for the past 8-10 months, and now the transformations have begun. To recap, here is the way the Jeep (‘04 Auto) was setup before the tinkering began:

35x12.5x17 Tires on 17x9 OMF beadlocks
D30 Front, 4.88 gears, ARB locker, 15” Vanco big brake kit
D44 Rear, 4.88 gears, ARB locker
Rubicon Express long arms
Front: 4.5” RE springs, ACOS, RE monotube shocks with reservoir
Rear: 5.5” RE springs, RE monotube shocks
RE Front adjustable track bar
RE Rear adjustable track bar
Currie HD steering
Currie Antirock
Body Armor rear bumper and tire carrier
Hanson Front bumper
Warn 9.5Ti winch
Durango 4x4 rockers
Various skids
And a bunch of fluffy stuff

Some items will be replaced by the following:
33x12.5x17 Tires
HP D30 Front, 4.88 gears, Super 30 kit with ARB locker, Vanco 16” big brake kit, Johnny Joints.
4” Currie springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks with on-board controller
Poly Performance rear outboarding kit
Currie Front adjustable track bar
ORO dual rate manual SwayLoc
Hanson rear bumper and stock tire carrier
Currie rock rails
Setrab transmission cooler with fan defeat switch and dual trans temp gauge.
Some more fluffy stuff

Rear Bumper:

A few months ago, the first thing to come off was the Body Armor rear bumper / tire carrier. While it is an OK unit that was on the TJ when I bought it, I had to consistently adjust it to keep it from rattling. It also put a nice bend in my tailgate, but most importantly, it was really heavy.

I ended up buying a Hanson rear bumper to match the front one I already had. It is a very nice unit, adjustable in height to cover unsightly gaps, and it comes with a really good bracket system that sandwiches the frame. The instructions suck, but after identifying all the parts, install was a breeze. This bumper will allow towing the Kimberley Kamper without any worries and its design will also allow us to be a little creative with some future projects, like a water-to-water heat exchanger (stay tuned for a future thread on this).

The stock carrier will be reused for the spare and it will be modified to keep the spare as close to the tailgate as possible while making sure it rests on the rear bumper to alleviate any stress on the tailgate.

Tires:

As mentioned in an earlier thread, I tested a set of 33s to see how the TJ would perform with the 4.88 gears and the 4-speed auto. I was fairly pleased with the results at that time.

I ended up selling my 35s and got a line on some 305/65/17 Pro-Comp Xtreme MTs. Although generally not a fan of anything Pro-Comp, I figured that at that price it was worth a shot. I haven’t taken them offroad yet, so I can’t comment too much.

Anyway, since having the 33s on, I am even happier with the performance results. The Jeep is a lot of fun to drive and, on grades, it pulls really hard without wanting to downshift. It is very responsive and the steering feel is a lot nicer.

Front suspension:

Last weekend, I went down to Blaine’s to find out he already had put the Currie springs and the Rancho’s up front. It looked great but the TJ’s rear end was now way up in the air with those RE 5.5” springs and shocks. So, it was my turn to work on the rear by taking the rear shocks and springs out and temporarily installing the Currie springs. Wow, what a difference, the TJ now has great proportions.

We also installed the on-board controller for the Rancho shocks. This is a nice looking unit and we made a bracket to position it on the lower part of the dash , just forward of the shifter. We stepped into Blaine’s alfresco paint booth, placed the part on the coat hanger hanging from the rope tied between two trees, and we used some black wrinkle finish paint on the bracket. If I remember well it was a Krylon brand type paint and it matched the Rancho unit very well. Now, by resting my forearm on the shifter, I can change the shocks settings from the comfort of the driver’s seat.

Tech Tip of the Day: If after drilling through the lower portion of your dash, you find yourself staring at a blinking “n0 FUSe” display on your odometer, you’ve probably hit the Accessories #2 wire. The other giveaway is that you don’t have the “key in the ignition” chime and your courtesy lights don’t work anymore. Guess how we found out . Pop the hood and replace the 10A fuse in the fuse box. If it holds, you’re good to go, if not, it’s time to take the dash apart and fix your boo-boo.

Rock rails:

When I bought the TJ, it had the Durango 4x4 rockers, and this transformation was the perfect excuse to get something different.

Blaine’s way of installing rock rails is way beyond what any normal person would do. If you blew the Jeep up, I’d be willing to bet that the only piece of body left, would be the one sandwiched between the rock rails and the aluminum backing plate. After asking me a bunch of nonsense questions like what is 3 & 3/8th minus 7/16th plus 5/8th divided by 1/16th (you guys have to start using the metric system, sheesh ), we drilled many holes, used a bunch of nutserts, preloaded each rock rail before bolting them into place, and used a 1/2” thick piece of aluminum as a backing plate. They were finally in place. The funny thing is that while torquing the hardware, it slightly bent the rock rail around the bolt head while the aluminum backing plate didn’t even flinch. Who says aluminum is not as strong as steel? My rock rails might look funny, but they are not going anywhere, period.

Front track bar:

Because of the RE drop bracket, there were going to be some clearance issues. We talked about a solution and I told Blaine to go for the Currie track bar. Since I had to go to work, Blaine installed the Currie adjustable track bar in place of the RE, see post above for his comments.

I apologize for the lack of pictures. I will take some next weekend and post them up.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

sounds like a fun build, and a nice write up.
i'm looking forward to seeing it.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 AM

Hey sounds like a great project!

I just wanted to let you know that the Pro-Comp Extreme MT's have been holding up great on Heather's JK. We've been thrashing them for about 12,000miles, and lots of trails so far. The 3ply sidewalls are holding up great and the tread depth is holding nice too. The only thing we have managed to do to the tires is some chunking on the tread blocks in a few places, but I'm sure it has to do with running them on a 5400 lb JK.......... This wasn't my first choice of tires to go with, but Goodyear didn't have a 35 on a 17" wheel. I figured I would give them a shot. I had to have a 3-ply sidewall, and there wasn't much else to choose from except BFG which I have used before and didn't want on the JK. After wheeling these on the rocks and trails for sometime now, I'm really happy with them. Aside from JV where the JK hasn't gone yet, I would have to say that I am as happy with these as I am the MT/R's on my TJ. And I'm probably the last person who would have run a Pro-Comp on my Jeeps. Snow, Ice, Mud, Dirt, Rocks, Street, it's all been good!

You should be really happy with them! I'll keep you posted on our's
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Thanks guys.

Quinn – Glad to hear about the Pro-Comp. I was having a hard time deciding between tires and I saw that Terry from All Pro Offroad was blowing out a virtually brand new set in the size I was looking for. I had heard that the Xtreme Mts were a decent tire, so I took the chance. I can’t wait to try them out. When the TJ is done, I plan on coming up to BB for a run or two, hopefully we can hook up and get some other folks to join to make it a fun day.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Thanks guys.

Quinn – Glad to hear about the Pro-Comp. I was having a hard time deciding between tires and I saw that Terry from All Pro Offroad was blowing out a virtually brand new set in the size I was looking for. I had heard that the Xtreme Mts were a decent tire, so I took the chance. I can’t wait to try them out. When the TJ is done, I plan on coming up to BB for a run or two, hopefully we can hook up and get some other folks to join to make it a fun day.
Let me know when you are coming up. I'll go out with you, I've been having a blast up here. We have guys up here going out almost every weekend somewhere. I'm always looking for a good reason to go wheeling
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 01-15-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
During this process, we had occasion to deal with a Dropped RE Trackbar issue. It won't work with a 4" lift height because the bracket will run into the tie rod during articulation
I'm having trouble picturing this. Are you saying when the driver's side is stuffed, the tie rod was hitting the drop bracket?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:21 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeeper View Post
I'm having trouble picturing this. Are you saying when the driver's side is stuffed, the tie rod was hitting the drop bracket?
Exactly. After switching to the Currie 4" springs, the distance between the drop bracket and the tie rod was smaller than the distance between the front bumpstops.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeeper View Post
The drop bracket mounts forward in it's entirety of the OEM trackbar mount. In fact, directly over the tie rod.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The drop bracket mounts forward in it's entirety of the OEM trackbar mount. In fact, directly over the tie rod.
It seems like I've done so many mods over the years I forget things. I ran into this issue back when I flipped the tie rod. Currently on my Jeep the tie rod just clears the bracket (back in the stock location). I believe my front axle is bit too far forward though.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM

Sounds great Lawrence!

I want a pic of that Rancho bracket - I need to put that controller in my TJ as well - much easier then crawling under there and turning knobs.

Jeff
Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiddle View Post
Sounds great Lawrence!

I want a pic of that Rancho bracket - I need to put that controller in my TJ as well - much easier then crawling under there and turning knobs.

Jeff
Here is a quality picture for you.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Here is a quality picture for you.
Thanks Lawrence - great photo. If I take my glasses off it's perfectly clear!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Sounds great Lawrence!

Jeff
Jeff, I think I have one of those rancho systems in the shed, if I can find it it's yours. You would need new air line for it. Otherwise I think it would be complete, I'll go check.

EDIT:::: I found the control panel with the gauges and buttons(9-way adj) and the little compressor. I'm missing the line and the little tube connectors. Like I said if you want it it's yours. Let me know.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 01-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Thanks Lawrence - great photo. If I take my glasses off it's perfectly clear!

LOL... Actually I'll take some pics this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
Jeff, I think I have one of those rancho systems in the shed, if I can find it it's yours. You would need new air line for it. Otherwise I think it would be complete, I'll go check.

EDIT:::: I found the control panel with the gauges and buttons(9-way adj) and the little compressor. I'm missing the line and the little tube connectors. Like I said if you want it it's yours. Let me know.
I know someone who has the tube connectors
Old 01-18-2008, 05:24 PM

I found the doohickeys that go on the shocks too!! Some tubing and a couple of t's and you would all set.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 01-19-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I found the doohickeys that go on the shocks too!! Some tubing and a couple of t's and you would all set.
I'll take it - what do you want for it?

PM me.

Thanks a BUNCH!!!

jeff
Old 01-19-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I'll take it - what do you want for it?

PM me.

Thanks a BUNCH!!!

jeff
It's your's, you can have it You just need the line and fittings. One of these days I need to get my gears from Blaine, so I'll make sure it gets down that way.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
It's your's, you can have it You just need the line and fittings. One of these days I need to get my gears from Blaine, so I'll make sure it gets down that way.
If you don't get them before the BB run, I'll bring them to you.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
If you don't get them before the BB run, I'll bring them to you.
When is that jeep of your's getting done so we can go play
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
When is that jeep of your's getting done so we can go play
Some duct tape here and there and it’s ready

So, I was on my way down this morning and right around Disneyland I spotted this on the freeway…. Flux Capacitor, yeah that’s the ticket.
I'd love to see the look on the referee's face when that guy shows up for a smog test.

Anyway, here is a pic of the controller. As mentioned before it is a really nice location, easy to read and to access.
A transmission temperature gauge will go to the left of it, in place of the big green switch.

Here is a shot of the HP 30. Notice the rotors for the 16" kit, the Currie track bar, the Johnny Joint conversion on the control arms, and the flipped tie rod
The bungee cords will actually be reused to hold the calipers in place. Bolts are for pussies.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Administrator

I have to say that I've really enjoyed the common sense and practical approach Lawrence has applied to this whole process.

Eliminate weight where it can be readily done.

Downsize tires to keep away from expensive and ineffective engine mods and or buying another axle to be able to regear lower.

Nice transmission cooler with dual senders to keep the information flowing and the temps in check.

Lower lift height and several suspension tricks to keep the handling nearly on par with stock.

Overall I think it's going to be an outstanding overall solution to being able to pull a trailer for extended lengths of time and maintain offroad ability for any place you'd really want to take a trailer.

I'm really looking forward to driving it a bit just to see how everything works together.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
i really like your build. mine seems to be going in the same direction at this time and i am very happy with it for once.

looking forward to more updates on your rig
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Thanks Tim. The Jeep was fine before but nothing to be totally excited about. I really thought about was I was doing with it and how I could make it work better. The fact that we recently bought a Kimberley Kamper also factored into some of the decisions. The goal is to have an outstanding all around rig and so far, I am very happy with the way it is turning out.

We got some more work done between yesterday and today. We finished up the front end by completing the install on the brakes, installing the SwayLoc, and hooking up the air lines for the shocks. The Rancho kit is quite nice, as simple as plug and play, the only thing to watch out for is routing the lines properly so that they don't get caught in anything.

Since my battery was not doing too well, it was replaced in favor of a Sears Platinum Group 34. This is a sweet battery, which has a 4 years full replacement and a prorated replacement for up to 100 months.

As mentioned before, one of the mods was replacing the Vanco 15" big brake kit with the 16" one. Since I got smaller tires, I had to compensate somewhere else. Here it is in its permanent home, very sweet looking.

After the front end was all done, we moved on to the rear and started on the install of the Poly kit. It takes a lot of measuring and a lot of items make it a difficult fit on the passenger side. Add to this the new Rancho 9000XL which have a bigger body than their predecessor, and it becomes very tedious to position everything correctly. There is a height limitation for the tower because of the evap system inside the rear corner on the '03+, and we also had some issues with the rear track bar mount. As you can see in the pic, it got chopped off, but the good thing about it is that it will be redone so that it doesn't bind anymore.

More to come...
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Since my battery was not doing too well, it was replaced in favor of a Sears Platinum Group 34. This is a sweet battery, which has a 4 years full replacement and a prorated replacement for up to 100 months.
I installed one of these in my wife's GC last fall. This morning it was -5F when she started it up and she said it started on the first crank. My red top (albeit a few years old) didn't start as well in my garage which was 20F.

Lawrence- keep up the documentation, I've really enjoyed reading about your progress. In a lot of ways our Jeeps have been built with similar thoughts and goals in mind.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Sorry for the lack of update, but with the heavy rain we've been having, there hasn't been much going on.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to newimage Send a message via Yahoo to newimage
So when are you going to put a Gen-Right enduro (24.5 gallons)tank in. I know Quinn probably has one at the shop for you.
Youll need the extra capacity when you are pulling around the kimberly kamper!

Its a Rock......get over it!
Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newimage View Post
So when are you going to put a Gen-Right enduro (24.5 gallons)tank in. I know Quinn probably has one at the shop for you.
We thought we'd just do the AT thing and put a 100 lbs of fuel on the tongue so we make sure we have enough tongue weight to stop trailer wag.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newimage View Post
Tell Tony to send one my way, I promise I'll pimp the hell out of it I am sure he has a "defective" one laying around and I can even pick it up on my way home from work I think Quinn sold his to Jeff.

Seriously though, I thought about it and I'll see in due time. I'd like to run the TJ as-is to see what needs to be addressed if anything.

BTW, when I am all setup, I'd like to hook up with you and talk trailers and all. I have the Kimberley and a custom military style one, and I wouldn't mind seeing the ones you build for comparison and perhaps a writeup.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
We thought we'd just do the AT thing and put a 100 lbs of fuel on the tongue so we make sure we have enough tongue weight to stop trailer wag.
Then I'd also have to relocate my water tank to the tongue.