Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Reggae

TJ Larger Oil Filter

I did an oil change today. Instead of a regular size oil filter I installed a larger one. For no particular reason, other than when I fill the jeep with fresh oil to be right on the full mark, I still have a little less than half a bottle left from the 6-quarts with a regular-size filter; so I thought, with a larger filter I will just dump 6-quarts with no worry about overfilling (not that I was worried about dumping six quarts in there before). Got you confused yet?

Anyways, the filter I installed is Hastings LF115. Cross-references: AC ? PF2, NAPA ? 1515, FARM ? PH8A, WIX ? 51515, PURO ? L30001, Ford D9AZ-6731-A.

It fit just fine, however due to a much longer can it was touching the starter power wire loom. Not a biggie, I drilled a hole in the battery tray and zip tied the loom out of the way.

I?ll keep this thread posted on how the filter works out. I plan to run it for 5000 miles, as I regularly do with full synthetic oil (unless I see that the oil starts to look bad, then I change it sooner).
Old 06-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

The Fram PH-8A, and undoubtedly the others you listed, are for a small block Ford, 260, 289, 302, 351W. Aside from extra capacity, have you heard of extra filtering benefits? Having owned several vehicles with these engines, I can tell you that they'll never be out of stock of this filter at the parts store!
Old 06-14-2002, 12:48 PM

Why, do you suppose, they put the small filter on when there's room for a larger one? Could there be a reason? I can't think of a single one unless they didn't want something that fits on a Ford.
Thanks Sergey!
Ron
Old 09-11-2002, 11:13 AM

Thanx for the search Sergey

Q for you - has it worked out ok? Any negatives?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Still running that filter. So far so good. I did not notice any negative effects.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:37 AM

Thanx. Its maintenance time - one will be going on my rig this Saturday then
Old 09-15-2002, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
I can't think of a single one unless they didn't want something that fits on a Ford.
Ron
Ron. that should be enough reason for anybody!!

HB

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 09-15-2002, 07:59 PM

Dumb question of the day/week/month

Ok, I submit what could be the dumb question of the day/week/month.

IF the filter is changed regularly enough so it's not close to being clogged (and I doubt anyone here doesn't), of what benefit is installing a larger oil filter that has essentially the same filtration ability? I can't see its slight additional oil capacity making that much difference so far as cooling goes on an engine whose temperature pretty much runs where it should be.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:27 AM

Well Jerry,
In answer to your question, the needles on the temp and oil pressure guages in my Jeep haven't changed from their normal operating positions so did it affect my Jeep short term? No, but instead of 5.5 quarts, I now get almost 6 in it, have a larger filter that fits perfectly (didn't have the same wire loom issue Sergey did) and the cost difference was insignificant. So my question back to you is why not?
Old 09-16-2002, 09:37 AM

Jerry,

here are some reasons I can think of.

1) ability to find one in timbuktu on a sunday evening.
2) lower price since it is a very common size.
3) always instock
and
4) good aftermarket support for this size.

# 4 to me has the most interesting spin.

If you read up on aftermarket filters and the benefits they claim you may see some interesting things about the stock filter. You might also wish to look at some of the racing synth oils and the types of filters they suggest for "best performance". I'm not suggesting we need the same filters for our applications, but read how they compare the filters to a stock type filter and you might see some aspect that makes it worthwhile.

One aspect to look at is how quickly a filter goes into bypass. Again, for our applications this may not happen very often, but...

So, given all the ford V8s out there, the aftermarket support is there along with a wide variety of choices other than the traditional OEM style filter.

- Dan
Old 09-16-2002, 10:22 AM

Good answers, thanks, especially since the larger more common size would likely be in stock more often. The DuraGuard from AC-Delco and the Purolator filters I like always seem to be out of stock at my two closest auto-parts stores so this is good news for me.

One more question... I always add six quarts exactly to both my 4.0L and my wife's 4.7L engines. I thought that both of the owner's manuals say six quarts is what they hold. Am I overfilling them with six quarts? It seems like the dipstick always says they're exactly full after filling them with six quarts.

And Robert, there's no reason not to go to a larger filter, I was just curious why a larger filter was such a good thing... especially since without this thread I wouldn't have even known which larger filters would fit.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:32 AM

I have never had a problem getting the appropriate Purolator Pure One Filter I usually run (pl14670) but I did notice that in going to the larger one (pl30001), there were 4 rows of this filter stocked in the bin at the parts store as opposed to just one of the smaller size.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbender

Ron. that should be enough reason for anybody!!

HB
Gee Brad, should I chuck my Jeep now that I have a set of Ford shock towers grafted into the frame and a Ford style oil filter? To make matters even worse, you can still see the crappy little Ford script logos on the towers
Old 09-16-2002, 01:58 PM

I could swear the PH8A was the filter I used on my '68 Ply Road Runner w/383cid.

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I just did the oil/filter swap in my wifes 4.7 yesterday. A slightly larger filter would have worked OK.

BTW, the factory filter was on WAY TOO TIGHT!
Old 09-16-2002, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard
BTW, the factory filter was on WAY TOO TIGHT!
Heh, wait till you get to the spark plugs - I needed to use a breaker when I swapped out the factory plugs on my first tune
Old 09-17-2002, 05:14 AM

Robert, add a 9" rear and you'll be set! One of my biggest complaints all through the years is that the factory installs the oil filters too tight (darn near every new car I've owned). And the owner's manual says "1/4 turn past hand tight". Go figure....
Old 09-17-2002, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates

Gee Brad, should I chuck my Jeep now that I have a set of Ford shock towers grafted into the frame and a Ford style oil filter? To make matters even worse, you can still see the crappy little Ford script logos on the towers
Yes, definately, but wait til I come out again this fall, I'll be flying, so I'll need something to drive

I've got a whole Ford rearend under mine AND a domelight, but I carefully removed all the incriminating Ford logos from mine.

HB

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 09-17-2002, 11:01 PM

research has shown that blue ovals are the primary cause of oil leaks.

think that image will cause this thread to start leaking
Old 09-18-2002, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
think that image will cause this thread to start leaking
Sounds like a personal problem to me Dan. Ever hear of "Oopps, I crapped my pants"?
Old 10-23-2002, 10:35 AM
Reggae

Thumbs up

I did an oil change last night, and replaced the original Hastings LF115 larger oil filter.

I think, I figured out why Jeep engenders decided to use the smaller filter. While removing the larger filter, I had to turn it on the side, to squeeze between exhaust and the frame, and poured some hot oil down my sleeve. It would probably be a better idea to remove the used filter from the top. Which, on my jeep requires a bucket to stand on.

Other than that, that Oil Filter survived every day driving, trip to the Rubicon, and had been Hammer Trails tested. I did not notice any differences in the engine performance. Although, logic suggests, that larger is better; at lest in the aspects of cooling and flow. Which is most likely true, but not normally noticeable in the jeep. The used oil looked normal. I still have it, and if there are no requests to send it for analyses, I?ll drop it for recycling tomorrow.

To be on the safe side, I do not recommend using oil filters other than specified by your vehicle manufacturer. But, really, man!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
I think, I figured out why Jeep engenders decided to use the smaller filter. While removing the larger filter, I had to turn it on the side, to squeeze between exhaust and the frame, and poured some hot oil down my sleeve.
Sergey, thats what the Jiffy Lube grunts are for

Me: I want an oil change and use this filter.
JL: OK, that willbe $27.95 seeing how you supplied your own filter. We have a special on a tranny service for $89.98......
Me: Don't touch anything other than the drain plug and the filter. I do all my own maintenance.
JL: Check your diffs?
Me: No. Don't touch anything.
JL: Are you sure sir, we have this 14 point check list....
Me: Just change the oil and filter please and BTW, I have this discount card for an additional $8 off
Old 10-23-2002, 02:13 PM
Reggae

Wink

If I had a shop I trust near buy, I would not do oil changes myself. Every time my jeep has to go to a mechanic, I almost have a heart attack; I am so worried that they would screw-something up...

My mom takes her car to a shop for oil changes. Guess what, last time she did an oil change ? they cross-threaded the filter, and it leaked ? ass-holes.

I use more expensive filters, and Red-Line Oil. I like red line oil, every time refill the jeep, you can feel the difference ? jeep runs like it is full of butter. No other oil I tried does that, including Mobile 1, and Torco Racing.

BTW, Robert, you know, it is kinda hard to put fresh oil in the jeep through the drain plug. Have to roll it over first.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
BTW, Robert, you know, it is kinda hard to put fresh oil in the jeep through the drain plug. Have to roll it over first.
....and don't forget to scratch its belly
Old 10-27-2002, 04:30 PM

well, I decided to swap back to OEM oil filters. I know the OE filter has the right drain back valve and bypass valve for the engine. I also know they have been tested and approved by the OE.

As for aftermarket filters, there are some that are great and others that are terrible...... and I have read the reviews and such, but I still trust the OE on this one.

I have also swapped back to OE air filters, plug wires, thermostats (OE thermostats make a big difference) and things like that too.... when I can get them for my different vehicles.

Best regards

John
Old 10-28-2002, 07:53 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

On my last oil change (a couple of weeks ago), I joined the bigger is better oil filter club.

Since then, my last gas mileage check was up by no less than 19.8%, my engine runs about 10 degrees cooler when going up hill, and young chicks now flock to my rig when I park it in front of McDonalds.

Why I didn't do this earlier in life is still a mystery!
Old 10-29-2002, 09:07 AM

I was a little concerned about warrenty, but the McDonalds thing has got me thinking.
Old 10-29-2002, 12:33 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Did I mention that my last trip where I checked my gas mileage was more than 50% down hill (with a tail wind), or that the 110+ degree summer days are now gone, or that I had my 4 month old puppy with me when I last went to McDonalds?

I suppose one or two of those things may have slightly influenced the results I witnessed since putting on that big filter.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:43 PM
The king of shotgun debate

That was good Stu!

You get a tip of my hat for that one my freind,

Frank
Old 10-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Old 11-03-2002, 10:30 PM

Can I borrow the puppy?