Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-05-2002, 03:48 PM

Pictures of Rock Krawler Track Bar & Bracket......

While wheeling in Montrose, CO, I ripped my front track bar bracket from the frame. Actually it was the frame that ripped off at the welds. Jim B was there to weld it up for me on the trail and then I took it to a welder in Montrose to beef up Jim's work.
On JU, I came across a post about Rock Krawler's track bar and bracket and I ordered one. I'm very happy with the bracket. It bolts to the old bracket where the track bar used to be and then two more bolts through the frame. I think I'm all set but I'm wondering if I should finish it off with some welds?
BTW, I think the reason my stock bracket broke was due to me running the stock drag link with the binding TRE way to long.

I like the direction they put the heim.

This picture I took laying on my back looking up:

I've had a drop Pitman arm for some time. It'll probably work better now:

Old 12-05-2002, 05:31 PM
Administrator

A few things Ron. I would not weld it. First thing I would do is get some fine thread bolts to replace the coarse thread ones in grade 8.

I would tighten up the jam nut on the rod end at the frame bracket. (looking up pic)

I would only be happy with that set-up if there were welded sleeves in the frame for the bolts to run through just like the steering box.

I would still brace it to the other side of the frame. It's not TRE bind that broke your original bracket off. Too much leverage of that sort would have taken out your TRE's very quickly and they would have been popping like crazy.

Other than that, it looks like a very good solution to your original problem.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:43 PM

Tightening the jam nut is easy.
Fine thread grade 8 bolts is easy.
Welding would be easy as someone else would do it.
A support bar is fairly easy with this new bracket.
Welding sleeves in? I don't know how to go about it. Get some pipe and drill some big holes?
Thanks,
Ron