Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 06-06-2002, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Calling all contestants-

I tried to get our local rock God to post this, but it appears he chickened out on me.

There will be a series of competitive rock racing events held on the Wooden Nickle Ranch located in Menefee. Just north of Temecula off of the 15.

Go to the website http://www.californiarockcrawlersassociation.com/ , read all about the events, and come on out and play.

Garry and I did it last year and had more fun than should be legal.

There is something for everyone and I hope to see some stockers competing. Watching that class was most enjoyable. I am happy that an organization has the understanding to know that the sport goes nowhere without a venue for new blood to enter.

To top it all off, this is a fairly low pressure event. You make it as tough as you want it to be.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:32 PM
Banned

I'm thinking about it, problem is that I can't run in the stock class, & I don't know if I want to go up against the big dogs in the modified class, not to mention that I haven't a competitive bone in my body. On the other hand, I am always up for more fun than should be legal.
Robert, are you entering?
Paul
Old 06-06-2002, 03:38 PM

Well Paul,
I would like to enter - I figure I should do quite well in the stock class but frankly, I am a bit torn. Big monthly payment on the Jeep does not help my decision making process at all. I know some folks (gee Garry - who would that be?) can ignore this tiny aspect but it does affect me. Given all that, right now I figure to enter the first competition and then take it from there.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:51 PM

Help me understand... What is the attraction to competing in this sport? I see it like ice skating... there's never really a clear winner. Sure, if you jump through all the hoops you win, but I'm missing something. Points accumulation is mostly subjective and I always felt that it was a vehicle vs terrain thing, not a vehicle vs terrain vs other vehicles.

I'm serious. I just don't get it.
Old 06-06-2002, 04:09 PM

Re: Calling all contestants-

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

To top it all off, this is a fairly low pressure event. You make it as tough as you want it to be.
Yes Blaine, I think this would be the right attitude. Have fun and let the results speak for themselves.
I desert raced motorcyles with that attitude for a couple of years and was surprised how well I did. I couldn't commit to this until October as I'll be in CO through September but it sure sounds like fun!
Old 06-06-2002, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
Help me understand... What is the attraction to competing in this sport? I see it like ice skating... there's never really a clear winner. Sure, if you jump through all the hoops you win, but I'm missing something. Points accumulation is mostly subjective and I always felt that it was a vehicle vs terrain thing, not a vehicle vs terrain vs other vehicles.

Seth,
I hope I don't get another flame thing going here but the truth is I think rock crawling and 4 wheeling in general is a lot more competitive then we like to think. When you're out with your buddys and they all cruise over a tough obstacle, is it you against the terrain or is it you against your ego 'cause you don't want to look the fool? Do you feel good when you do the obstacle better than the rest and a bit ticked at yourself when you do the worst? If so, that's a bit of a competitive nature. If you were by yourself on the same obstacle you would probably be happy to just make the obstacle or follow the intended line.
In a fun competition like this, at least for me, the idea would be to see how I do under pressure, conquer my fear of making an ass out of my self, brag a little bit or take a razzing and except the results for what they are, not much!
I guess what I am saying is I would be scared silly and that would pump me up!
Old 06-06-2002, 04:44 PM
Banned

Robert, I figure that as long as it is not an ARCA rock buggy type course I'll go for it, on the other hand, if I get there only to find that it is a make it or kill your jeep trying type course, I'll be the first to back out & watch the carnage from the sidelines.
Seth, I feel the same as you do about competitions & 4 wheeling in general, but I figure this event is local, cheap, & as Blaine said, it's low pressure. I am looking at it as a 1 time only deal.
Paul
Old 06-06-2002, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON

Seth,
I hope I don't get another flame thing going here but the truth is I think rock crawling and 4 wheeling in general is a lot more competitive then we like to think. When you're out with your buddys and they all cruise over a tough obstacle, is it you against the terrain or is it you against your ego 'cause you don't want to look the fool? Do you feel good when you do the obstacle better than the rest and a bit ticked at yourself when you do the worst? If so, that's a bit of a competitive nature. If you were by yourself on the same obstacle you would probably be happy to just make the obstacle or follow the intended line.
In a fun competition like this, at least for me, the idea would be to see how I do under pressure, conquer my fear of making an ass out of my self, brag a little bit or take a razzing and except the results for what they are, not much!
I guess what I am saying is I would be scared silly and that would pump me up!
Ron,
Definitely not a flame thing. I was serious. I understand the competitive itch, having scratched it repeatedly through a number of differnet outlets over my very few years.

But the Rock Racing thing (yes, I agree with Ned Bacon) is a bit more subtle. Scoring is somewhat subjective and the challenge has changed. For me, the name of the game is smooth. It a bit like an akward ballet, and the goal is doing it smoother and cleaner. The state of competition rewards not the smooth, but the quick and precise, be it uglier than hell or not.

I haven't seen anything in the current competitions that emphasizes vehicle control. Much of the hardest obstacles emphasize throttle.

My thoughts... and I'm mostly rambling publicly.

Oh, and yes, I am definitely interested in doing it better than you, or anyone else on trail.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:

If you wanted to compete, then you would surely get it. It's one of those things that if you want to do it and are compelled to enter, then no one needs to explain it to you. If you are not inclined to do so and don't understand, then no amount of reasoning, logic, or explaining will be able to make you understand why we do it.

It is strictly something you do for your own inner reasons. If you have competed in other things, surely you can understand.

I won't drive my rig, but I am a pretty fair spotter and like to see how we stack up as a team against the terrain, the clock and other teams. Besides, just how many times and how many lines are there on Sledge?
Old 06-06-2002, 05:28 PM

Quote:

For me, the name of the game is smooth. It a bit like an akward ballet, and the goal is doing it smoother and cleaner. The state of competition rewards not the smooth, but the quick and precise, be it uglier than hell or not.

I haven't seen anything in the current competitions that emphasizes vehicle control. Much of the hardest obstacles emphasize throttle.

My thoughts... and I'm mostly rambling publicly.

Oh, and yes, I am definitely interested in doing it better than you, or anyone else on trail.
Let's both continue to ramble as motivation here is important (to me anyway).
I'm one of those guys that winning is not everything (but surely would be nice). I would try to be smooth and precise. The quickness part for me would be not getting stuck or break my stuff. I would try my very hardest to ignore the clock and try and complete the coarse with as few penaltys as possible. If I clock out, so be it. Like desert racing, they ain't gonna pay me a dime for my efforts so just doing the best I could would be satisfying to me.
There is a lot to what Blane says. Why do it? Because you can.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON

Why do it? Because you can.
I hope I don't step in the wrong circle here. (I'm not trying to be the pendatic guy) But Ron, I think it's more a "I want to" type of deal than an "I can". I like swimming, and I'll swim against guys in the lap pool when really we are practising. We don't say much (I find it difficult to talk to a guy in a speedo), but.. you wait for the top of the clock and launch. Why do I swim against some Navy Seal who probably could do 30 miles, have a martini, jump out of a plane and be home for dinner? Not because I can, because.. I want to, and it's fun to compete. Think it's less capability, and more inner desire to strech it out.

BTW, I've been beat everytime so far, but I'm close, and I don't do flip turns.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Ron, it's pretty hard to clock out at this event. That is until you get into the final five. Then you can if you exceed the slowest time posted by the guy in front of you.

I think the stock class has a 15 minute time limit and you will have to get really really stuck to not complete the course in that amount of time.

It truly is a rock race. You are penalized time assessments for flags and that bumps your completion time up. I like the fact that the rules are fairly simple, no penalties for backing up, stopping, any other BS.

Just a simple point A to point B maneuvering of the course and to top that off, the competitors are allowed on the course to plot strategy for a lengthy period of time before the event starts.

How cool is that?
Old 06-06-2002, 08:51 PM

Ahh Ssooo!
I read the rules instead of just the classes. I see what Seth is talking about now. I agree, I don't think that would be for me either. Sounds like fun for others though!
Old 06-07-2002, 06:29 AM

Well if my interview on Tuesday goes well and I can get some 33's or 35's to be considered stock I will go for it. that is if you are available as a spotter Blaine.

Scott
Old 06-07-2002, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
Well if my interview on Tuesday goes well and I can get some 33's or 35's to be considered stock I will go for it. that is if you are available as a spotter Blaine.

Scott
At this point Scott, I can only spot one vehicle. We are in contact with them about the intent of that rule and trying to see if it can be stretched to allow me to spot in two classes.

If that turns out to be the case, you are almost 6 months late. I promised Robert I would spot for him if it were allowed when we were at the last event.

If he backs out or can't attend, then I will be more than happy to spot for you.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:05 AM

do you think I could compete in the middle class??? I guess it is a nonpoint until after tuesday anyway.

Scott
Old 06-07-2002, 07:12 AM
Administrator

You can compete in any class that is higher than the one you belong in, just not vice versa. Clearly stated in the rules.

Were I you, that would not be the route I would pursue. The mod stock class is tough. You will be heads up against guys like Garry.

Fortunately, you won't have to compete against Ron Schneider. He is tough and if he hadn't broken last year, would have walked away with it hands down. Am I ever glad he has tubes on his buggy.

I am not sure where the rules put Geiger this year. If I remember correctly, he has no tubing on his Toy and that would put him in with us unless steps up his tire size a bunch.

I also would be very cautious about hitting that course with stock front axles.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Well, it looks like Robert gets an easy out on this one. Garry and I received a clarification on the rules and they are adamantly sticking to the "spot once" rule.

They feel I would have an unfair advantage if I were to spot in the stock class first and get a first hand look at how difficult it is to get a rig over the rocks.

I already have an unfair advantage, so I fail to see the relevance.

But, them there be the rules and we will abide by them. Sorry Robert.
Old 06-07-2002, 09:51 PM
ghall

Ahhhh you didn't quote the whole text. They did mention that a driver from another class could spot for Robert. This could be the ultimate challenge, working with with the spotter from hell.
Garry
Old 06-07-2002, 10:42 PM

Well my other thoughts where Garry or Kat who both spotted me over stuff with confidence.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:36 PM

The guys who run that event are actually some' wheelin buddies of mine...cool people.
Old 06-08-2002, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by pumpkingpr
The guys who run that event are actually some' wheelin buddies of mine...cool people.
I'd have to agree, they treated us perfectly when we competed there.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:08 PM

Question Is this event still occurring???

Wanted to bring this back up for those interested. Time is drawing near.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Re: Is this event still occurring???

Quote:
Originally posted by lexbernier
Wanted to bring this back up for those interested. Time is drawing near.
It's a pretty sure bet that those interested won't need a reminder. I do thank you though.

We are still in at this point.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:19 PM

Blaine, Kevin and I will be there, for sure! Should be a whole lot of fun!
Old 10-02-2002, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepskickass
Blaine, Kevin and I will be there, for sure! Should be a whole lot of fun!
Well, the only good thing about that is we don't have to run against you guys.