Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-29-2004, 01:37 PM

Ready Welder is here...

Showed up this last weekend while I was out wheelin'.

Case is larger than I expected, so I'll experiment with other packing options such as a smaller case. TJ's aren't noted for lots of storage room. Couple questions for others who've played with this device.

Has anybody developed a slick method to power the unit without having to remove batteries from rigs? I'm brainstorming some kind of battery disconnect system to isolate the battery(ies) from a rig while using jumpers to get a series hookup.

Has anybody used the 50' extension leads? And any problem with voltage/current drop?
Old 06-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

At one point, one of the guys in our group had a ReadyWelder. To make life simple, we all put wing nut terminals on our batteries. It takes about 15 seconds to disco the vehicle's leads and attach a jumper cable to another battery.

Probably not the most hi-tech manner by which to accomplish the task but it worked and was low budget.

Old 06-29-2004, 03:58 PM

Thanks Stu. Good idea. I'm only running one battery, and can't convince myself (yet at least) that I need two, so another vehicle will have to contribute to the repair.

My regular wheelin' buddy from Modesto might be willing to do something similar which would make for quick (and hassle free) change overs.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:16 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

what is a good price for one of those?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-29-2004, 07:36 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Darrell,

The wire guage is pretty heavy and I'm sure they've probably sized it accordingly so I wouldn't expect any problem. That said, the 50' extension is not going to pack up very small. My dad bought two 20' extensions which seems to work well. They roll up in about a 6" diameter x 3" 'wheel'.

As for a quick setup, nothing beats the dual battery's with quick disconnects. My dad also wired in a knife-blade disconnect so that the welder is only hot when needed (it is always hot once connected). It's not really needed but seems to work nicely.

I've used heavy duty jumper cables between two vehicles parked next to each other, though never on a trail. I imagine that would be next to impossible in most cases.

Good luck, I know you'll enjoy your welder.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341
what is a good price for one of those?
If your asking about the Ready Welder (and not Stu's wing-nut terminals ), I ordered from Welding Depot. I looked around and they seemed to have decent prices, were very friendly, and shipped promptly. Package arrived when stated in good repair.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Darrell,

The wire guage is pretty heavy and I'm sure they've probably sized it accordingly so I wouldn't expect any problem. That said, the 50' extension is not going to pack up very small. My dad bought two 20' extensions which seems to work well. They roll up in about a 6" diameter x 3" 'wheel'.

As for a quick setup, nothing beats the dual battery's with quick disconnects. My dad also wired in a knife-blade disconnect so that the welder is only hot when needed (it is always hot once connected). It's not really needed but seems to work nicely.

I've used heavy duty jumper cables between two vehicles parked next to each other, though never on a trail. I imagine that would be next to impossible in most cases.

Good luck, I know you'll enjoy your welder.
Jeff, when you say, "They roll up in about a 6" diameter x 3" 'wheel'", are you referring to one cable or both?

The dual batts is an idea, I just can't find the room for something simple, and not sure I want the extra weight. I'll play around with it and see what happens.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
Jeff, when you say, "They roll up in about a 6" diameter x 3" 'wheel'", are you referring to one cable or both?
Each one is about that size.

As for the dual batteries, it is nice, but not a necessity. When Blaine welded up my trackbar brace on Outer Limits, we borrowed a battery and placed it in my engine compartment right next to my battery. This only added about 5 minutes to the total repair time and wouldn't, in itself, necessitate dual batteries IMO. If you're wheeling with buddies there is always a plethora of batteries to choose from.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:11 AM

FYI - the battery that was borrowed for Jeff's trackbar repair was my Odyssey PC1200 which is a much smaller package than a typical Optima or regular battery.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:01 PM

Thanks, Jeff.

Robert, you're not trying to start another "good" battery vs "bad" battery debate, are you?

Actually, my current battery, an Optima Blue Top, is going on 4 years old (and given great service I should add). I might consider switching to the "other brand" as they seem to run a little smaller.

Jeff's correct, though. When I tackle the harder stuff, there's usually other folks around I'm wheelin' with. When I'm solo, I take easier lines or trails to avoid breakage and being stranded.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:33 PM

darrell, your lucky, Ive gone through 2 optimas in the past 4 years, 1 red top and now I have a Yellow top dieing...
Old 06-30-2004, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by papromike
darrell, your lucky, Ive gone through 2 optimas in the past 4 years, 1 red top and now I have a Yellow top dieing...
Take it out and give it a good charge with a bench-top battery charger. Optima says that 90% of their returns are not really defective, that a simple complete charge will very likely return it to good condition again. The rep gave a plausible reason that I accepted at the time, though the reason escapes my geezerdly memory at this moment.

At least try it... can't hurt.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Take it out and give it a good charge with a bench-top battery charger. Optima says that 90% of their returns are not really defective, that a simple complete charge will very likely return it to good condition again. The rep gave a plausible reason that I accepted at the time, though the reason escapes my geezerdly memory at this moment.

At least try it... can't hurt.
My question to the Optima salesman would be why? I don't have to remove my Oddesy and bench charge it?

Playing devils advocate with you Jerry - how is the job going?

Jeff
Old 06-30-2004, 09:50 PM

thats not devils advocate as far as i'm concerned. I did exactly that with my yellowtop and guess what - pos still wouldn't hold a charge.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:07 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I once again managed to completely kill my Yellow Top to the point that it would not even spin the engine over (although the solenoid was clicking).

I left my 110V power inverter connected to the battery a couple of weeks ago. While the inverter's power switch turns off the 110 volt output just fine, it does not diconnect the unit from the 12V power source. There is a small idle current that the inverter uses although it is producing no 110 volt output. If I leave it connect for 6 days, it will kill the battery...it may even kill it in 5 days...not sure, but 6 is guaranteed.

I jumped started it from Donna's car and life was once again good.

This August, you all are invited to my Optima's 4th birthday party and it is a BOYB affair (that would be bring your own battery!)
Old 07-01-2004, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Darrell, I'm exceptionally pleased that you went the RW route. I've been more impressed with mine than any other welder for trail use I've seen and in fact, the folks around me on trail have always been impressed.

I doubt you will wish you had gone another direction.

At Sears one day, they had a padded bag for a big air powered nail gun on the discount rack. I picked it up for about 12 dollars or so and it makes a good soft case for the welder and a few accessories.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
This August, you all are invited to my Optima's 4th birthday party and it is a BOYB affair (that would be bring your own battery!)
We could make a double party, Stu. For our 4 y/o batteries. But I'm not going to Phoenix in August...to darn hot
Old 07-02-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Darrell, I'm exceptionally pleased that you went the RW route. I've been more impressed with mine than any other welder for trail use I've seen and in fact, the folks around me on trail have always been impressed.

I doubt you will wish you had gone another direction.

At Sears one day, they had a padded bag for a big air powered nail gun on the discount rack. I picked it up for about 12 dollars or so and it makes a good soft case for the welder and a few accessories.
Thanks for the nice words, Blaine.

I'm going to play with it some tomorrow. I'm heading to a friends house to help him build a rear hoop and spreader for his roll cage. Going to drag my Mig along and figured I might as well bring the RW and play around with that too.

I'll keep my eyes open for appropriately sized soft cases.