Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-01-2006, 12:53 PM

Bilstein 7100- Ford shock mounts- RE 3 link

I'm thinking about upgrading shocks, I have been looking at the 7100 remote reservoir short body. According to Bilstein's website, they recommend 161/72 digressive for the front, 162/66 digressive for the rear. Anyone have any experience or know anything about these shocks?

I have the Ford shock mounts in the rear, will I be able to use a shock with a spherical bearing?

For the front, I want to get rid of the JKS adapter. The lower shock mounts were moved down about 4", so all I need is to change the top mount, not move it up. Can I use a Ford shock mount instead of the Polyperformance mount?

I currently have the standard RELA 5 link in the rear. When I cycle the suspension the shocks clear the mounts by about .25". I have been thinking of upgrading to the RE 3 link, but I read on another thread Blaine made a comment that the bumpstops don't contact each other under compression with the new uppper arms. Will I have clearance problems if I upgrade to the 3 link? I would hate to ruin a set of $400 shocks.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:00 PM

I can't speak for the RE tri-link but on my TBT, I find that my bumpstops contact only at the very edge of each other under full stuff. I am pretty positive that if I had less than the 3" of bumpstop I currently have (including an additional 1" on the top), they would not contact each other at all. This hasn't impacted my shocks (ford bracket mounted) luckily and I figure its due to both axle rotation for pinion angle and lift along with arm length/wheelbase.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:20 PM

161/72 seems pretty soft, but that might be a good thing.

I wish I better understood the relationship between valving and spring rates, but I'm starting to think that people with soft springs need a stiffer shock valving and vice versa.

I'm running Bilstiens front and rear. 360/80 valving rear with a 181 spring rate and 275/78 front with a 131 spring rate. My Jeep is relatively light (2000 lbs front, 1960 lbs rear).

My shock valving feels a little too stiff around town, but just right when hitting whoops at speed.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:42 AM

Bilstein 7100 w/ reservoir

Anyone else have any feedback with 7100 Bilsteins.

I'm about to purchase some 7100's w/reservoir w/ 275/78 valving (got them cheap cause he ordered the wrong length). I think the valving is off but need some feedback.

I'll try Shane at Bilstein Off road dept. on Monday.

Thanx