Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-21-2003, 09:37 AM

Running a three link with a Dana 30 front and the cast pumkin mount?

Hey guys: I am currently running a three link with my Dana 30 front axle using a long upper arm that mounts to the pumkin side of the axle. I have been told that I will begin to twist the passenger and driver side of the tube. I have also done some force vectors and have found that I would really only have an issue when going down hill. Does anyone have any real world experince with running a three link and a modular type axle like the D30? I also wonder how rock crawler "gets away" with their torque arm setups and the D30 and not twisting tubes.......

Any insight would be helpful

Chad
Old 06-21-2003, 11:55 AM

Chad-

FWIW, i twisted a D35 tube in the housing with a 3-link setup in the rear (radius style arm on pax side, just one LCA on driver's side).

Also, the other thing i've learned about a 3-link setup like that you need to run something stiffer than rubber bushings on the single UCA. With rubber bushings on both ends of the UCA, the axle can twist way more than you want it to...in the front it messes with steering components causing them to get caught on stuff; in the rear it causes the axle to twist when accelerating and makes the whole vehicle steer to the side when you give it gas.

-Ron-
Old 06-21-2003, 02:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
Chad,

I haven't gotten any rock time on the setup but have done quite a bit of street driving/testing with this setup on the MJ. You can see what I did on the web site.

I am going to "Sleeve" the long side with a tube welded to the diff housing end and the rosetted to the 30 tube to spread the load out. This should give plenty of strength. I've watched a few JeepSpeed guys running this with great success.

The other thing I did was to increase the Bushing/joint size to the 2.5" JJ on both ends of the upper arm. I think long term this is going to work out for the best.

good luck

mark
orgs mfg
www.orgsmfg.com