Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-21-2004, 11:11 AM

4 link with Airshock ideas

I?ve been doing a lot of research on link suspension design and have decided to attempt a triangulated 4 link rear/SOA front conversion on my YJ.

My current plan is to run semi parallel lowers outboard with triangulated uppers inboard. Still playing with link length and front to rear horizontal separation. I?m finding that you have to make a lot of adjustment from optimum to make it all fit.

I?m seriously considering using Fox Airshocks for the rear, and here is my question?

Any reason that I couldn?t notch the frame like Blaines shock mod and run the airshocks outboard? It would sure make for a clean design.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 11-22-2004, 10:11 AM

Oh wise JeepBBS Borg.

Please help me assimilate my coal cart

Old 11-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
Oh wise JeepBBS Borg.

Please help me assimilate my coal cart

How 'bout picking up the Warn XCL off of Blaine and assimilating yourself with coils? It takes a bit to get it dialed in, but that lift works pretty well and has a lot of travel in those Fox coilovers.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:20 PM

Re: 4 link with Airshock ideas

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
I?ve been doing a lot of research on link suspension design and have decided to attempt a triangulated 4 link rear/SOA front conversion on my YJ.

My current plan is to run semi parallel lowers outboard with triangulated uppers inboard. Still playing with link length and front to rear horizontal separation. I?m finding that you have to make a lot of adjustment from optimum to make it all fit.

I?m seriously considering using Fox Airshocks for the rear, and here is my question?

Any reason that I couldn?t notch the frame like Blaines shock mod and run the airshocks outboard? It would sure make for a clean design.

Thanks,

Matt
Hey Matt,
What is the WMS-WMS on your YJ? The reason I ask is I have 63" and my shocks are out-board the frame with no notching.

Here is some pics if you are interested.http://www.code4x4.com/my_jeeps/index.html
Old 11-23-2004, 11:28 AM

Jeff, I have seriously considered the XCL kit but I wouldnt want to use their skid. I've put alot of effort and customization into a completely flat belly (design idea borrowed from Chris O, thank you )

So I would probably only use their links and coilovers. I think I would be better off starting from scratch.

Also, at this point I'm really only interested in coils for the rear. SOA (leafs) for the front will (i believe) work well.

Chris, I will be using a Toyota 8" V6 rear -58.5" WMS to WMS. I doubt that I will have room to outboard shocks without notching the frame, but I will certainly confirm that.

I know that notching the frame for shocks is fine, but what about for coilovers or airshocks? The entire weight of the rear will be carried above the notch. The more I think about it, it should be fine, I was just wondering if any of you guys have tried it.

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 11-23-2004, 01:43 PM

I think you would be fine with the notching but my sense is you would want to anchor the top to a hoop that's attached to the frame on either side of the notch rather than using the ford shock towers. That's both for additional strength as well as to deal with the height you'll need for the top anchor point even with the 14" airshocks assuming you want to have the orientation more vertical.

I've been thinking about trying this but haven't had time, if you do move ahead with it I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.