Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-17-2006, 08:17 PM

Question Hi Im New, but got an Interesting Question on the OEM Fog Lights

In the past owning a 99 Grand Cherokee Lardo, it had the bolt on fog lights with the built in fog light switch on the Left Head Lamp control arm coming out of the steering column. These days I have the 2001 Grand Cherokee, and finally got around to installing some OEM oval fog lights that mount up inside the lower grey bumper when recently replacing the shot headlights due to the plastic going bad.

My big question to you outthere is as follows...

The OEM fog light setup for a 2002 Grand Cherokee is odd to me, since MOPAR no longer sells the kit. I did however find the pre run fog light harness for both fog lights and hooked those right up before putting everything back together which was really a breeze. Then I noticed that the 2002 with autolamps does not have the fog light pull out feature that the 99 had, yet these are identicle in nature. So, I looked up the part at JEEPOEMPARTS.COM and found the swith lever for $61.00
So, now if I go ahead and get this part and replace what is there now I am hoping the fog lights will work without any additional wire harnesses or relays. I just figured JEEP had everything pre run except for the Headlight swith with built in fog lamp knob, everything else would appear to be there.
I figure JEEP saw it more cost effective to manufacture the Grand Cherokee Larado and Limited with the same basic wiring and just left out the fog light option that this JEEP did not have from the factory. So has anyone done this before, because I wanted more light on the road, and want to use the factory fog light look.

Your comments on this would be very helpful, and I am sure I am not the only one who has thought of doing this to their Jeep.

Nice to be aboard
Regards James
Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 PM

Welcome aboard James.

I have no clue with regard to answering your question, but was wondering where in FL you're at? I spent ~3 months in the West Palm Beach/Boca Raton area earlier this year. Traffic on I-95 suxs.

Oh, I hope you don't mine the brief hijack - we tend to do that here from time to time. It's one way we get to know each other better.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:22 PM

Talking

Thanks,
I in the Melbourne area, but on the Beachside, it is pretty much Central Florida East of Orlando Florida on the Coast.
We took a slight beating from Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne back in 2004 as well as Wilma in October of 2005.
Had the Jeep outside for both of them and I was amazed how much Leaves got blown inbetween the door jambs, but she shined up like a champ.