Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-06-2002, 04:48 PM

Cool Don't Laugh! Tire choice question.

Time for new shoes on the WJ. Since the YJ has been down for so long I do use the Grand for some light off-road use. Its still in its stock form other than having a 2" BB. I'd like to keep it the way it is for at least a few more years but I would also like to have a little more aggressiveness in the way of tread and tire size. From what I gather, I can fit 245/75/16's on the stock rims and thats also the largest spare I can fit in the rear while still being able to close the lid.

With all the talk of MT/R's being the tire of choice, I was wondering what that size MT/R would ride like on the WJ and what kind of wear might I expect. I understand the off-road bennies and look forward to trying them if in fact that is the tire I should go with.

Thanks!
Jeeper
Old 09-06-2002, 05:41 PM

I have close to that size on my 62 wagon and they work great on the street.

if you are looking for a good all purpouse tire you can check out the perrelli scorpion I had those on my Trooper and they where great street dirt road compromise.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:24 PM

Scott, thanks. How do they hold up on mild off-roading and mainly a street driven vehicle? I loved my Pirellis on my Mustang...gripped like mad in the corners but never lasted more that 15k miles (of course they were Z rated so maybe I abused them). I need a little more durability and longevity.

Maybe I should post my wish list:

1. Long lasting for a mix of driving (70% road, 30% mild off-road)
2. Quiet on the road
3. Sticky on the trail...mainly rocks but NOT rock crawling as we know it.

Thanks again!

Jeeper
Old 09-06-2002, 10:03 PM

I was getting wear like the BFG at's and had a lot better traction for general ( easy ) off road. plus they where quiet and at like 90.00 each it was a good choice.

but I have to say for any hard core stuff the MTR's stick like mopar gray silicone. and are quiet on the road.

Scott
Old 09-07-2002, 06:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to emdub Send a message via AIM to emdub Send a message via Yahoo to emdub
My WJ

I've got 265/70 R 16 BFG AT's on my WJ which has a 1" lift by means of larger springs from Dobinson. This didn't give the tires enough clearance off the front fender when completely turned, but now with the teraflex BB recently installed the tires are perfect on the WJ. I've got around 12500 miles on them right now and it looks like they can do AT LEAST another 12500... I do a lot of highway driving and the tires are silent enough for my ears. At least the FIPK from K&N drowns out any tire noise I might have. :-)

If I can help in any other way... let me know... :-)

And the lord said to me "You are taking a bad path", and I answered "Don't worry, I've got a Jeep".
Old 09-07-2002, 06:55 AM

emdub, when you say larger 1" springs, do you mean that you used up-country springs?

Jeeper
Old 09-07-2002, 07:16 AM

Send a message via ICQ to emdub Send a message via AIM to emdub Send a message via Yahoo to emdub
No... these are some springs from Dobinson that I installed when I installed my RS9000's because they were a bit higher than stock. Maybe it'll bring the Jeep up to the upcountry package, but we don't have that "model" in Portugal.

And the lord said to me "You are taking a bad path", and I answered "Don't worry, I've got a Jeep".
Old 09-09-2002, 07:56 AM

Jeeper,

30" pirelli scorpians came on my TJ when I bought it (it was used). They did OK on a few things. But I can't vouch for mileage, as they were used when I bought them and only had them for about 6 thousand miles.

On my pathfinder in Iceland, I had cooper discoverer, and they did really well, considering the abuse. However, they were never aired down, and that may make a difference on tire wear.
Old 09-09-2002, 10:17 AM

LOL. I thought you were getting rid of the 38.5 SX and going to the 42 TSLs like everyone else.

BTW, I had an open seat for H2H Saturday, but I never heard from you ...
d
Old 09-09-2002, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blatant
LOL. I thought you were getting rid of the 38.5 SX and going to the 42 TSLs like everyone else.

BTW, I had an open seat for H2H Saturday, but I never heard from you ...
d
Had family issues....Sorry I didn't get back to you.

42's???? Please do not tell me that it your next step! The 38's might look pretty sweet on the WJ but whooooa that's a lot of cutting! Maybe next year

Jeeper
Old 09-09-2002, 10:49 AM

Don't know about the 42s. Probably next year, unless Interco comes out with a 40-inch SX (which is what I really want).
Dion
Old 09-09-2002, 11:26 AM

I was pretty happy with my BFG AT KOs. They worked great on road. They last forever, and are very quiet. They did well in the rain or the snow.

I put about 30-35k miles on mine, with a good amount of offroading, and I had 50% tread left on them.

I would not recommend them for mud, at all. They are fine for rocky trails, but not rockcrawling.

They work great on about 95% of any offroading you will do, but begin to get taxed in more extreme situations.