Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-31-2007, 02:11 PM

Trailer tires"

Ok, not actually jeep, but I know most of you trailer your stuff....

I put a set of Maxxis tires (205 75R15) on my trailer a little over a year ago. I ran the previous set until they were bald. Did a few local trips with them and then went to Moab. Blew a tire on the way up, then noticed I had a side wall puncture before I left. Again another flat on the way home. Ugh. Three relativly new tires bad. Then last week (6 months later) another bad Maxxis tire. I now have my one spare left and switched the others to another brand. Anyone else have issues with the Maxxis trailer tires? Anyone have something that they feel is better than the rest. BTW I run my psi between 45-50.

zman
Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Cant say I've had much better luck with trailer tires. For some reason, I never get a flat or even a nail in my trucks tires but the trailer picks up every nail on the road

On a recent trip to JV I forgot my spare, turned around and got it. somehow lost the spare enroute, and blew a trailer tire

Only thing I can suggest is your pressure seems a bit low, I normally run 60 PSI.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 PM

You guys should see the tiny donut-size tires that came on my new Fleetwood Taos tent trailer. It's been on a few trips now and it looks like it needs a spring-over so I can fit something bigger. I swear its tires are the size of my lawnmower's tires and I can't believe they hold up to the bazillion RPMs they must be spinning at 60 mph.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 PM

I run the Greenball TowMaster ST's in a ST225/75R-15's. Got them at Discount Tire ~3 years ago & had to warranty one due to a nail a couple months ago. Total cost of replacement was $12 including a new warranty, mount & balance.

Matt, seems I remember turning around & grabing spares when we went to Moab together.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:35 AM

I run 31" mud terrains on my Teardrop. Haven't had a problem. That also helsp with the rpm's.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
Cant say I've had much better luck with trailer tires. For some reason, I never get a flat or even a nail in my trucks tires but the trailer picks up every nail on the road
I think the trailer is a little wider than our trucks, so that is one reason why. Most of my flats are the pass side, guess it's cause it pics up stuff from the side of the road.

Joe, when I was in Moab I ended up getting Tow Master tires at Big O and have now got all 4 tires with Tow Master. Hopefully I will have the same luck that you are having. What PSI are you running?

BTW, Big O in Moab is now Checker Auto Parts.

zman
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM

despite the fact that people bad mouth and actually have bad experiences with Carlisle trailer tires, I have had no issues with them over the past 2-3 years. The only down side to these tires is the funky wear, although I have to admit that they were not balanced, but then and again, they're bias ply.
When I replaced them earlier this year, before heading out to JV for the Rookie Run, I went with Goodyear Marathons and also had them balanced. They've been holding up good and so far no funky wear is visible (they've got a couple thousand miles on them by now).

Old 06-07-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zman
What PSI are you running?
~50psi while they are cold. I don't seem to ever remember to check the pressure when they get warmed up after driving a while.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 AM

My experience with trailer tires is that they flat out suck. I have had Maxxis, Carlisle, Kellys and Generals on my trailer when I owned it.

They all sucked in some way or another and enough so, that I was trying to figure out a way to get some load range D or E mud terrains on my trailer before I sold it.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM

Running ST225/75R-15's Load Range D and run them at 65psi cold. Check them religiously each morning and check them for heat at every stop. (just by hand just to make sure they all feel about the same temp)
Old 06-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
My experience with trailer tires is that they flat out suck. I have had Maxxis, Carlisle, Kellys and Generals on my trailer when I owned it.

They all sucked in some way or another and enough so, that I was trying to figure out a way to get some load range D or E mud terrains on my trailer before I sold it.
You needed some Goodyear Marathons. I've had those on the trailer after doing the Greenball, Carlisle and other assorted BS on the other trailer and these have been perfect.

Wear like iron, no blowouts, no issues and I know I'm at or over max weight on them.