Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-01-2003, 12:16 PM

Cool Tire carrier finished...finally

I finally finished up the tire carrier and got it on. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but ran into one problem: I guess I should've welded a little at a time instead of just blazing through - the heat tweaked the arm a little, so I have to push down *hard* to get the latch bolt to line up. Guess it's better than having it sag and having to lift it up......

I have more pics on Webshots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im001988a.jpg (26.7 KB, 350 views)

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-01-2003, 12:21 PM

Thumbs up

It looks good.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 10-01-2003, 01:34 PM

Looks good, Dan.

Same thing happened to me. The diagonal brace caused the swing-arm to move "up" a little. I used a tailgate latch, however, so you just slam it shut.

Nice work, should serve you well.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:50 PM

That really turned out great Dan, it looks really good... nice paint job too!
Old 10-01-2003, 03:03 PM

Thanks, everyone.

I'm probably going to add a "guide" on the top of the latch plate to help push the arm into place - shouldn't be too hard to fab something up that will work.

I'm gonna take it out and scratch it up this weekend - good thing Rustoleum is easy to touch up.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Administrator

All you need now are some tires worthy of being toted around on such a fine piece of fabrication.

PS- the winky was in regards to your tires, not your fab skills.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:27 PM

Thanks, Blaine! I understood what you meant.

A set of MT/Rs are in the plans, it's just that little thing called money that keeps getting in the way. I only paid $250 for a set of five used Pro Craps, so I figured they would keep me going for a while. I'm not impressed with them, but at least they hold air and keep the axles off the ground for now.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:41 PM

Blaine's tire's aren't made by a company with a blimp anymore. He has tires that win.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
Blaine's tire's aren't made by a company with a blimp anymore. He has tires that win.
and right now their winning the battle of which tires can occupy the most space in my back yard.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:50 PM

You know there is a disposal charge for used tires now, right? I'll dispose of those old 35" MT/Rs you have taking up space in your back yard - and I won't even charge you.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I wish you had left your posse comment up there. As we all know, every posse has to have a sheriff and I was wondering when you were getting your badge???

Old 10-01-2003, 03:51 PM

That's true. If Goodyear had a nickel for every MT/R.....

Oh! Wait... They do have a nickel!
Old 10-01-2003, 03:54 PM

Cool

So Blaine, what are you running now, BFG's ??
It's getting close to the time to get a new set of rubber for mine

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 10-01-2003, 03:55 PM

Cool

Dan, looks really good.
Guess we'll get a chance to see how it does this weekend

Been getting any of my e-mails ??

Fred
Old 10-01-2003, 04:00 PM

Thanks, Fred. Maybe if we have time after UW, we can do Lower Ajax again and see if I can try for that corner again....

I got your emails and replied - maybe Prodigy is screwing up again??? Guess it's about time to go with Comcast...
Old 10-01-2003, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
I wish you had left your posse comment up there. As we all know, every posse has to have a sheriff and I was wondering when you were getting your badge???

I have a coffee mug from a buddy of mine that's a Highway Patrolman in South Carolina and its got a gold badge on it. Does that count?

Seth (and we both know who had the posse trump card)
Old 10-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I have a coffee mug from a buddy of mine that's a Highway Patrolman in South Carolina and its got a gold badge on it. Does that count?

Seth (and we both know who had the posse trump card)
You lied, one rig did complete his obstacle. Guess which one?
Old 10-01-2003, 04:08 PM

Which obstacle?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
That really turned out great Dan, it looks really good... nice paint job too!
It does look good. For those fabbing up stuff like this make sure the seam on the box tubing is on the inside otherwise it'll show right through the finish. Does this suggestion belong in the fluffy section?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Which obstacle?
they have names????
Old 10-01-2003, 09:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jays89YJ
Re: Tire carrier finished...finally

Quote:
Originally posted by DanB98TJ
I finally finished up the tire carrier and got it on. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but ran into one problem: I guess I should've welded a little at a time instead of just blazing through - the heat tweaked the arm a little, so I have to push down *hard* to get the latch bolt to line up. Guess it's better than having it sag and having to lift it up......
Dan, that looks really good! Did you use bearings in your pivot arm, or just a bushing? Do you have a zerk fitting or 2 on there?
Old 10-01-2003, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
they have names????
Yeah. The only one to run the money pit successfully was ken shupe. Would've won the whole thing too, but his gamble at doing a spotter ride on the last obstacle resulted in a flop instead of a leap frog.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:02 PM

Jeff - Thanks. Honestly, I don't remember where the seam ended up - but I think it's on the mounting face...only by luck.

Thanks, Jay. The pivot is a piece of 1.25" solid bar stock, turned down slightly to fit inside some 2"OD/1.25" ID tubing, which is recessed in the bumper. The tire carrier will only be used when I need the back seat in the Jeep - maybe 10% of the time - so I built it to be easily removable and to for the bumper to look clean when it's not in use. A light coating of white lithium grease is all it'll get when I'm putting the carrier on - makes it easier to clean up when it goes back in storage. I have a lot more pics detailing the construction on Webshots - click on the "My Pics" link in the sig to see them.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-01-2003, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jeff - Thanks. Honestly, I don't remember where the seam ended up - but I think it's on the mounting face...only by luck.

Thanks, Jay. The pivot is a piece of 1.25" solid bar stock, turned down slightly to fit inside some 2"OD/1.25" ID tubing, which is recessed in the bumper. The tire carrier will only be used when I need the back seat in the Jeep - maybe 10% of the time - so I built it to be easily removable and to for the bumper to look clean when it's not in use. A light coating of white lithium grease is all it'll get when I'm putting the carrier on - makes it easier to clean up when it goes back in storage. I have a lot more pics detailing the construction on Webshots - click on the "My Pics" link in the sig to see them.
I checked out your pictures! They came out great. Is see the turned down bar stock. Now you're running steel tubing over it. Thus your tubing is actually your plain surface bearing, or Bushing. This is ok. The surfaces of these mating parts will play a great roll of the longevity of the parts. The smoother the surface, the longer they will last and your grease will be much more effective. Idealistically a larger tube ID could be used and then press in a cast bronze bushing. The bronze bushing will actually tend to bind less than the steel to steel contact. Bronze is soft, so the metal itself acts as a lubricant. You should be ok though if you Keep at it with the Grease. Plus like you said you only use it when the back seat is in the Jeep! I think it looks great! Nice Pictures too.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:06 PM

Thanks again.

If I were to build another, I'd probably just buy the hinge from Toys by Troy - he makes a slick unit that would allow the carrier to come off and not leave anything sticking up.

I'm really glad I made the carrier removable - after driving the Jeep around for the past couple days with the spare hanging off the back, I'm amazed at how much different the Jeep handles than it does with the spare in the tub. I'm anxious to see how it does on the trail....could make for an interesting day.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks again.

If I were to build another, I'd probably just buy the hinge from Toys by Troy - he makes a slick unit that would allow the carrier to come off and not leave anything sticking up.

I'm really glad I made the carrier removable - after driving the Jeep around for the past couple days with the spare hanging off the back, I'm amazed at how much different the Jeep handles than it does with the spare in the tub. I'm anxious to see how it does on the trail....could make for an interesting day.
Oh man. I hope my Jeep isn't too bad with that spare on the back like that! What is your suspension setup?

Edit:
Oops, your SIG says. Hopefully a leaf sprung Jeep won't be so bad!
Old 10-02-2003, 06:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm amazed at how much different the Jeep handles than it does with the spare in the tub. I'm anxious to see how it does on the trail....could make for an interesting day.
I ran out of fab time two years ago and needed a swingout (I thought) to carry my spare. Bought the very nice Currie unit, installed it, ran one trail, came home and took it off and sold it to this moron that thought he needed more than I did.

I couldn't handle the difference in handling. Hope your experience is different.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:15 AM

I put 35s and a Younger Bros. tire carrier on at the same time. My Jeep felt like a tank and I scratched it up to the bigger tires. About a year later I took off the tire carrier and bumper and my Jeep became nimble again. I sold the YB and built a 37# bumper. The convertible tire carrier is definitely the way to go!
Old 10-02-2003, 09:17 AM
Banned

Seems like all you guys have TJs... Hmmmm... I hope my YJ doesn't perform like that.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:25 AM

My tire carrier is wickedly heavy. Weighs in at nearly 12,000 lbs. fully loaded.

Its made by Ford and doubles as a tow truck.