Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Sylvania Bulb: Silverstar

Has anyone tried these light bulbs as fog or head light replacements? I am thinking a brighter bulb in the fog would not be a good idea. But if it is a different kind of light..........well? A brighter headlight would be nice though, but would the extra cost be justified with percentage of change?

Al
Old 06-16-2008, 01:50 AM

on my TJ I've been running those for a couple of years now and they're definitely an improvement over stock. Some people say that the brights give a strange glow/flow, but I haven't experienced or noticed that and others have complained about those lights burning out faster, but I'm still on my first set from a couple of years ago.

HTH
Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM

They're whiter/brighter than stock but not enough that it makes a truly significant improvement. I installed a set into my TJ and thought they were barely an improvement over the OE headlights, not really worth installing unless perhaps one of your headlights burns out. If you really want a significant improvement, I'd look at the non-sealed headlights that use separate bulbs and reflectors. There seems to be a lot of people who like their IPF headlights but I don't recall much about them other than IPF Fat Boys seem to be pretty popular.

I recently removed my Silverstars to re-install some H4 90/120 watt bulbs & housings I had removed a couple years ago until I could install a heavier-duty headlight wiring harness that would handle their heavier current draw more safely.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:14 PM

I have been looking at the Delta H4 for some time also. What did you use to beef the wires with? Stories are going around but I have not heard any info taking care of the issue. Also, I would have to guess that H4 conversion would be DOT approved being in other vehicles. I am not seeing "street legal" on all options though.
I guess I'll just try the SSS in the fogs for now.
I like the Delta Quad Bar for the H4 option!

Al

I recently removed my Silverstars to re-install some H4 90/120 watt bulbs & housings I had removed a couple years ago until I could install a heavier-duty headlight wiring harness that would handle their heavier current draw more safely.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:04 AM

There are replacement headlight wiring harnesses that are easy plug-in jobs that allow you to safely run higher wattage lights, which is what I installed to run my higher wattage bulbs. Even if they are not DOT certified, my feeling is so long as you have aimed them properly so they don't blind oncoming drivers, which mine don't, no cop is going to pull you over to see if the headlights are DOT approved... at least not in California where you and I live.