Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

View Poll Results: Whats first?
Lift 1 100.00%
Bigger Engine 0 0%
Tires 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2004, 08:32 AM

Exclamation help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a HUGE problem. My 1990 yj with the 2.5 and bolted to the ax15, has a problem with starting. Well let me put it this way......it all started when i came back from a long trip from Rammstein,Germany, and yes i am stationed here with the Air Force, anyways, i came home late that nite and went to sleep. The next moring i got up to do some trailing, when, this is where i get confused, The JEEP would start but not idle. So i said screw i can still drive it to my shop. So i did, my shop is about 9km from my house, by the time i got to the shop the jeep was warm and idled great. Now it is worse...I can start it but it will die, even with me pushing the accel pedal it dies. But when she gets hot she will run fine. Also when i do get to drive her she will stutter real hard, like she dies than kicks back in. Its easier to see her sit than to drive it, I know it hurts to say that. Any help would be most greatful. Oh also it is cold here, if that will help you help me.
Thanks soo much
Old 03-02-2004, 09:03 AM

I'll just point to a couple of things to look at and you can go from there - first, check your fuel filter, next check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) that will usually let a Jeep run but thats about it.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:04 AM

Thanks i'm going to my shop later tonight i have to check them. Once again thanks it hard to find help out here.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:11 AM

No problem - you sounded kinda desperate
Old 03-02-2004, 09:22 AM

yeah i am kinda deperate, i went to the dealer and they canned my appointment on my. It sux trying to keep a jeep over here, parts are really expensive.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Reggae

Try to lightly tap on the throttle body with a screwdriver handle, while somebody else is starting the jeep. If it maintains idle fine with you doing that, could be a stuck valve.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:16 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Re: help me please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by 90yj666
I came home late that nite and went to sleep.
Well what do you expect, you went to sleep! (Oh I forgot, your are USAF!)

That said, I'd be looking at the Idle Air Motor. It is located on the side of the Throttle Body.

The IAM really isn't a motor, but rather a plunger that slides in and out to regulate the amount of air that "by-passes" the throttle body plate inside the Throttle Body for idle air.

If the IAM is stuck in one position it will indeed give you the same symptom as you describe depending onwhat position it is suck in. Primary when the engine is cold.

I am not know exactly what the IAM looks like on the 2.5 YJ but it should be round in shape and bolted to a somewhat round casting on the side of the Throttle Body. There should be a 4 wire plug going to it.

You may want to check this out, particularly the connector for dirt and grime.

Have you at any time cleaned the Throttle Body on your YJ? If not perhaps now might be a good time.

Also the manifold that the IAM bolts onto, over time, will pack up with carbon. I have seen chunks of carbon in there on some Jeeps. If a chunk should fall off it will interfere with the operation of the AIM piston.

It is hard to diagnose things over the internet, let alone across the ocean, but perhaps some of these thoughts might help you out.

Frank