Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-05-2005, 07:10 AM

97 JGC 4 WD switch

..........While driving in four wheel drive a message appeared on the vehicle information center......."SERVICE 4 WD SWITCH"
now back on dry land........the information center is showing vehicle is in 4WD while 2WD is selected..........when shifting to 4WD.....the same message comes up on the info center...........
Does anyone know what this message means..where is the 4WD switch???......exactly what must be serviced????
(NOTE) All fluid levels are fine vehicle appears to be in 4WD with 2WD selected.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:57 AM

I have no ide where it is, but if I had a guess, the 4wd switch is somewhere between the t-case handle and the t-case.

Why not call up your local jeep dealership and ask them where the 4wd switch is.

Sometimes if you find a cool service advisor, they will help you out the part and you can just order a new switch and replace it yourself.

BTW, i'll check my service manual tonight if I remember, and I'll see if I can track down the 4wd switch so I can at least point you in the right direction.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:13 AM

Spaceman,

Thanks for your input. I have called several local dealers, they have no clue.....they just want me to bring it in.......I can't imagine going to a dealer without first having some kind of idea of what the problem may be........
once again, thanks.....
Old 07-06-2005, 07:02 AM

According to my '93 FSM, looks like there is a four position switch that eventually connects to pins 28 (ground), 31, 32, 34, 35, and 36 of the VMM (vic system).

It looks straight forward, my guess is the the switch on the tcase is sending multiple signals (since no signal is neutral position). The signal of other three positions depend on which tcase you have.

From the tcase switch, goes through a 100-way connector to the display via D11 D9 and E6 pins.

PK
Old 07-06-2005, 07:58 AM

Thanks........I'll crall upunder to see if i can locate the switch......
I briefly went under on the driver side rear but did not see any switch.........I'll check the front and left sides tonight......
Old 07-06-2005, 11:15 AM

Looks like someone beat me to the FSM.

Good luck finding the problem.

(Sometimes it just helps going into the dealer and going straight to the parts department and just asking them to look up 4wd switch on their computer and seeing what comes up. I've tracked down parts that the service manager had no idea about that way.)
Old 07-07-2005, 05:26 AM

I found what most likely is the 4 WD Sw.......
it is located on the top of the transfer case adjacent to the front drive shaft. it is Mopar Part Number 56006755.......
it has a connector with 4 pins arranged in a baseball diamond pattern, it has a spring loaded plunger, there is no continunity between any of the pins with the plunger out or in.......
so i'm suspecting it is bad........i called the local jeep dealer (parts dept).........and they do not have any.none in local area.......and the only thing he could tell me was that it was a switch.....
Thanks to all for your help.........
Old 07-07-2005, 07:16 AM

Sounds like a winner. Good chance you can pull it from any old t-case, they are probably the same switch for multiple t-cases/years.

PK
Old 07-07-2005, 02:46 PM

Or just have the dealership special order the part.

I have rarely actually recieved a part the day I went into the dealership. I"ve pretty much always had to special order them.

You'll only have to wait a couple of days to a week for the part to arrive.

(Although robbing a switch from a junked ZJ is probably a cheaper proposition)
Old 07-11-2005, 07:04 AM

NO JOY on the 4 WD switch..I purchased the part from a local dealer......ran a continuity check on the new switch and the results were the same.....DC open on all pins with and without plunger engager.........changed switch and the same results...in 4WD all times...info center says to service 4 WD switch.......when placed in 4WD...when placed into 2 WD stays in 4WD....backing auto does not disengage the 4WD..........

Thanks for everyone's help.........the JGC runs on VODO boxes and only the dealer can get it straight..(SOME TIMES).

ray