Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-11-2004, 10:30 AM

Shocking question.

Anyone care to debate the benefits/differences betweeen gas charged and hydraulic shocks? I have always run gas charged(RS5000) shocks thinking they helped "control" the suspension better. As I get older, I wonder if they are not contributing to the harsh ride I experience with my '85 CJ. I was running a 4" SUA lift with 33s, as I am rebuilding, I have gone to 35s and am contemplating new springs/lift for a more comfortable ride/more flex...should I try hydraulic shocks first? Thank you in advance.

J
1985 CJ-7; AMC 360, 35" Pro Comp X-Terrrains, 4" suspension and 1" body lifts,4:56 gears, Lock Right/Detriot Twin stick 300,Mastercraft Rubicon Seats,Rhino Lined, TJ Flares, half-cab soft top, seven point 'cage, and still spending...

2000 Dodge Ram; tow rig

2003 Honda CBR 954 for street duty.
Old 01-11-2004, 09:57 PM

First of all, your R5000 shocks are hydraulic, not gas-charged. So are Rancho's RS9000x adjustable shocks. Really. Rancho's website would have you believe all their shocks are gas-charged but in truth, it's all just very misleading. About the only Rancho shock that I believe is gas-charged is their RSX.

The reason gas-charged shocks came into existance was because hydraulic shocks would foam and get soft during racing events, especially on extremely rough terrain like you'd encounter on the Baja 500. Gas shocks don't lose their effectiveness on such terrain.

But unless you're a racer or do the kind of high-speed driving on tough terrain that would cause a hydraulic shock to cavitate (foam), the advantage of a gas-charged shock is pretty much lost on a Jeep. And typically, gas-charged shocks are usually stiffer-riding than a hydraulic... though few shocks are stiffer than your Rancho R5000 shock that is valved for a much heavier vehicle.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:46 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
There is a differance between gas charged and gas pressure shocks. Does this come into play here? If not, forget you read this.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:05 AM

Jerry, thank you for the clarification. I misconstrued cellular gas(foam)for gas charged. With the gas/hyd argument thusly concluded, suggestions and experiences with hydraulic shocks for my ride or suggestions on softer/flexier lifts? Thanks.

J
1985 CJ-7; AMC 360, 35" Pro Comp X-Terrrains, 4" suspension and 1" body lifts,4:56 gears, Lock Right/Detriot Twin stick 300,Mastercraft Rubicon Seats,Rhino Lined, TJ Flares, half-cab soft top, seven point 'cage, and still spending...

2000 Dodge Ram; tow rig

Old 01-12-2004, 07:41 AM

The typical Rancho type shock (the white ones) are a twin tube cellular gas shock. IMO they are junk, the dampening is too linear resulting in a harsh ride, besides the fact that they are a one shock fits all approach to dampening. The shocks have dead spots also so they take an inch or so of travel to start working.

I would recommend a good monotube gas charged shock that has in internal floating piston like a Bilstein 5100, Edelbrock or Pro-Comp MX-6. My first choice would be Bilstein. You have a selection of valving, and they can custom valve them if none of their standard shocks work for you, I dont think anyone else can do that. The difference is night day between a twin tube and monotube, monotubes give you an easier and more controlled ride.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:07 AM

Thanks Goat,

What spring/shock set up are you running on your 7?

J

2000 Dodge Ram; tow rig

Old 01-12-2004, 10:43 AM

I am running 2.5" Sway A Way coil overs with internal bypass on the front and 2" coil overs and 2.5" bypass shocks in the rear. It's really not a CJ7 anymore.

I would recommend running a good leaf spring with multible thin leaves. Deaver makes a good spring, I would probably go with a YJ spring and change the front to a 2.5" wide. Get single Bilstein 5100 shocks, with 255/70 valving for the front and 275/78 valving for the rear.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Reggae

Watch out for Bilsteins. I know, that is what recommended often, and they sound like a great shock, and even some of the jeeps come with them from the factory (or so is the rumor). But we have at least one guy here who is not happy with his set.

Just like that, he bought a set of Billstein shocks, and he is not happy with them. What can you do...
Old 01-12-2004, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
But unless you're a racer or do the kind of high-speed driving on tough terrain that would cause a hydraulic shock to cavitate (foam), the advantage of a gas-charged shock is pretty much lost on a Jeep. And typically, gas-charged shocks are usually stiffer-riding than a hydraulic... though few shocks are stiffer than your Rancho R5000 shock that is valved for a much heavier vehicle.
Jerry, you need to get out & try some monotube, gas charged shocks. I ran 9000's for years & thought they were the best thing out there for rock crawling, until I put some Sway-A-Ways on my jeep & drove about 10'. Even before I had the valving dialed in they were night & day better than the 9000's in everything.
I actually got them for the race to the trails in JV, but they made as much if not more difference crawling over rocks at 1MPH.
Paul
Old 01-12-2004, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Watch out for Bilsteins. I know, that is what recommended often, and they sound like a great shock, and even some of the jeeps come with them from the factory (or so is the rumor). But we have at least one guy here who is not happy with his set.

Just like that, he bought a set of Billstein shocks, and he is not happy with them. What can you do...
He need to get the valving dialed in.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by GOAT1
He need to get the valving dialed in.
I think you are right.

What's the procedure to have the valving dialed in? Does one need to bring the jeep to the Bilstein factory, or something? How does it work?
Old 01-12-2004, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
I think you are right.

What's the procedure to have the valving dialed in? Does one need to bring the jeep to the Bilstein factory, or something? How does it work?
I would give Bilstein a call and tell them what shocks you have and what the application is and they should have a recommendation for the valving. The are in SD so you could probably just bring the shocks by and they could re-valve them. I dont know where you bought them but ORW sells alot of Bilsein and does some Jeep stuff and may be able to help you out too.
Old 01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
There is a differance between gas charged and gas pressure shocks. Does this come into play here? If not, forget you read this.

ooops, that should have read...

There is a differance between gas charged and gas cellular shocks.

sorry for the misprint.