Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-13-2004, 01:20 PM

Full Traction SOA vs Rubicon Express 4"

I have decided to replace the suspension on my CJ, again...I'm currently running 35s and use the Jeep for trai rides, moderate to difficult wheeling(haven't caught the rock crawling bug) and daily transport in the summer. I've narrowed my search to two(unless someone can convince me to look at others)...the FTS tech says fully bolt on SOA, all pieces laser cut for tolerance. Full kit with mounts, steering fix, shocks,2-1/2 wide(wrangler) springs, everything but driveshaft.~$1450 shipped. Rubicon Express 4" SUA kit complete with 2-1/2 wide(wrangler) springs, shocks, all hardware~$980 shipped. Any experiences/opinions with either?

Thanks in advance.

J
1985 CJ-7; AMC 360, 35" Pro Comp X-Terrrains, 4" suspension and 1" body lifts,4:56 gears, Lock Right/Detriot Twin stick 300,Mastercraft Rubicon Seats,Rhino Lined, TJ Flares, half-cab soft top, seven point 'cage, and still spending...

2000 Dodge Ram; tow rig

2003 Honda CBR 954 for street duty.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:22 PM

What is a "Steering Fix" ? - Flat top knuckles with bolted on arms ?
If so sounds like a good price .
Don't forget you'll need a traction-Bar in the rear.

Your driveshaft my be OK seeing as your already running a 4" SUa lift.

I'm in the processes of doing this myself. Just found some FT knuckles.
I'll be running Alcan springs and making my own traction-bar.

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 01-13-2004, 02:48 PM

The steering fix sounds like another rod that runs to a pivot on the frame to keep the geometry correct. The way the tech explained it it keeps everything parallel even when the suspension is twisted up. He informed me they have been selling these for YJs for over three years and the CJ kits are finishing testing... He went on to further explain that their springs were built to control axle wrap. Guy sounded like he was in on the design of the systems and convinced me that he knows what he's talking about...but then again...that's why I'm asking here. Thanks for your input.

J
1985 CJ-7; AMC 360, 35" Pro Comp X-Terrrains, 4" suspension and 1" body lifts,4:56 gears, Lock Right/Detriot Twin stick 300,Mastercraft Rubicon Seats,Rhino Lined, TJ Flares, half-cab soft top, seven point 'cage, and still spending...

2000 Dodge Ram; tow rig

2003 Honda CBR 954 for street duty.