Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Is this really true?

Verbatim PM I collected somewhere.

A thought

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not trying to upset anyone but when you talk down to people and get into ****ing contests over who knows more it's never good for anyone. I'm a mechanical engineer been working in industy for 17 years and I do know a thing or two. I post here to get real world experiance from people who have tried things a couple different ways and make my decisions based on my experiance and the experiances of others. People can have differing opinions without anyone being wrong....

Old 07-02-2007, 11:33 PM

I don't know about "it's never good for anybody" comment. I almost always get a gut wrenching laugh.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:44 AM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
Re: Is this really true?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

A thought

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

not trying to upset anyone but when you talk down to people and get into ****ing contests over who knows more it's never good for anyone. I'm a mechanical engineer been working in industy for 17 years and I do know a thing or two. I post here to get real world experiance from people who have tried things a couple different ways and make my decisions based on my experiance and the experiances of others. People can have differing opinions without anyone being wrong....

An "opinion" is just that, and can be many different views on a particular subject. However, most of the time when I read someone asking for an opinion, that's not what they really want. They want advice. And if you (or anyone for that matter) are going to give advice, it should be based on fact. That is where hes wrong.

His pm to you is incongruous to his stated occupation. He's unlike any "engineer" I've ever known. Most are way more anal then that. At the the very least, he needs use spellcheck, not to mention take some basic grammar classes.

Tam
Old 07-03-2007, 03:36 AM

Yes it is true, because he believes it to be true.
Only he can change his beliefs. Not you or I or the whole www.

You know the saying: A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:54 AM

Brainwave.

What about this: you take two people and one of them is colourblind.

They both see the same thing, but interpret it differently. Neither is wrong, yet one argues for table, the other for chair.

Oooh now THIS is getting exciting. Even here as I type this post, this very issue has come into play. The built-in spell checker doodad has informed me that I have spelt the word colour incorrectly.
No I insist, it's not wrong, stop underlining it in red. But yet it persists and I know I am right.

You guys just do things a bit differently over there, and maybe you're all colourblind.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt N
. Even here as I type this post, this very issue has come into play. The built-in spell checker doodad has informed me that I have spelt the word colour incorrectly.
Computers never lie.

Now if we could just get the computers to teach ya'll how to pronounce stuff
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Administrator

He wanted to know if he should remove the rear swaybar on a TJ.

I explained to him that at the point in time when he needed to extract all the performance out of his rig just to complete the trails he was running, the answer would become self evident and he wouldn't need to ask anyone. Until then it didn't matter.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
He wanted to know if he should remove the rear swaybar on a TJ.

I explained to him that at the point in time when he needed to extract all the performance out of his rig just to complete the trails he was running, the answer would become self evident and he wouldn't need to ask anyone. Until then it didn't matter.
some things you just have to find out for yourself ... it's one of those 'live and learn, or maybe not' kinda things

And the removal of the rear anti swaybar on a TJ is a nice example of that
Old 07-03-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
Computers never lie.

Now if we could just get the computers to teach ya'll how to pronounce stuff
Or get your spell check to recognize y'all

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 AM

Re: Is this really true?

Quote:

A thought

Would that be from a guy named Jim on JU? I think I know that guy
Old 07-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I believe he probably is an engineer with many years experience crunching numbers in the back room ... because he can't write for $hit!
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 AM

Just another example of how having a degree doesn't mean a person is intelligent. I know a few people who have Masters, BAs, etc., but ask them to solve a problem that requires only common sense and they're lost. You would also think someone with a degree could use proper grammar and correct spelling, but I've read way too many reports from "educated" people who could write no better than a ten year old.

Personally, I'd rely on input from someone who has personally tried different ways of doing things and has personal experience to back up their advice, not opinions from someone who read something in a book or on the 'net.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-05-2007, 08:45 AM

I think engineers think they know more than they actually do...so they drive trains...big deal

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cutch
I think engineers think they know more than they actually do...so they drive trains...big deal
I think you may be on to something.

Trains are controlled from a central location, the switching is done from there, the crossing gates automatically raise and lower, they are loaded by someone other than the engineer, there are no gas stations to deal with, so the only things they get to play with are the brakes, throttle, and the handle for the train horn.

And, they only have to start and stop when they are told to.

Yep, sounds like most engineers I know.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Trains are controlled from a central location, the switching is done from there, the crossing gates automatically raise and lower, they are loaded by someone other than the engineer, there are no gas stations to deal with, so the only things they get to play with are the brakes, throttle, and the handle for the train horn.

Been away for a while working on my tow rig and thought I would check in, read a few posts, and thought this was funny...

Old 07-25-2007, 11:49 AM

HEY!!!!!! I yam an engineyear and I resent this ugly talk. I reed and spell gooder than most of u. No need to put us down bekause we ar buttter than thnk. Hek, most of you kan not spell four sheet.

DO NOT make me madder or the next time you fly on a plane and use the lectronic ticket i will erase your name and they won't not know u are on de plane, de plane.

visit my forum: all rigs, expedition type travel in the SW and beyond, all are welcome, no cost just friendship...

www.savagesun4x4expeditions.com
Old 07-26-2007, 11:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Quote:

watched something on tv regarding trains recently. They featured a the Cajon Pass as one of the more difficult passes for trains. The engineer has a button he has to press to let the control system on the train know he's still awake Everything was so automated he pretty much was just along for the ride.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:

In the Military we call them consultants.

Let me interject a small story for funny purposes. I work with paperwork. Actually, I supervise people who do paper work. There is a push to reduce the amount of "walk in customers" we get.

Background: a system was created to facilitate better tracking of claims. Basically, you upload the claim to a secure web site. You then transfer them to a local station that reviews them, and forwards them on to the processing center. It's a bit cumbersome (why input a stop check for review, and why not put them strait to the processing center..). Anyway, you can track the claims on a real time basis from submission to pay. Much easier than creating log books, making multiple phone calls, and it tracks performance MUCH better.

So, you have this system that works well.

Some one came along and then said "we want to reduce walk in traffic". Walkin meaning, anyone with a question.

So now, that person fills out a sheet. Turns it into a representative. That rep then scans it, uploads it and sends it to my command. We then print it out. Research, annotate, rescan, upload, rescan, and send it back to the rep who prints, contacts the person and tells them what we said.

So, instead of walking in and saying "I have this question" and getting an answer, they have to go through that process.

And they are pushing for a 24 hour turn around, stating it is "faster and reduces foot traffic". Never mind you have to have a rep who supervises in and out claims, a supervisor here who gets the request, forwards it to the applicable technician, the tech has print, hand update the form, scan it, upload it, then transfer it back to their supervisor who then transfers it to the original rep.

All this is faster than the "5 minute phone call"?

I was asked for my "quick and dirty technical opinion".

"insane waste of time, resources and over all, not well thought out" was my response, much to the dismay of the entire room and the person on the other end of the teleconference.

I was asked to repeat it. So I said "You can just call it dumb."
I guess I'll never become a consultant.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Reggae

Wink

That's a finny story, William. Hey, instead of all that printed paper, how about setting up a web-site where forms are submitted electronically. I can consult on how to get that going.