Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-06-2004, 08:49 PM

Unhappy LCIR closed

a newby post.
I'm sure most of you knew this anyway.
http://loscoyotes.info/
Bob
Old 09-06-2004, 08:57 PM

Nope, didn't hear about this yet, but by reading the link - it looks as if wheeling by day use will still be ok but the camping will be temporarily closed for renovations.

In all honesty, I think it's a good idea and this should make things better for everybody in the long run. It seems to make clear that the Tribal folks are looking to make things better for folks and provide a facelift for the campsite areas.

Bravo Zulu to the Tribe in my book.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:07 PM

That website sure leads me to believe they're only going to be catering to horses and their riders after their re-opening. Everything keeps referring to "horse camping" with nothing else mentioned.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:07 PM

Joe - Hope that's right!
But... was up there Saturday and the people at the gate said it would be closed. Period.
The link was supplied on another board earlier today.
Old 09-06-2004, 11:28 PM

Bummer if that's the case.

I'll try to give them a call & see if I can find out the scoop.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:31 PM

I spoke to Wanda at LCIR over the phone a little earlier. She said that the entire grounds are closed up till the renovations are complete.

I forgot to ask her if the off-road access will still be available after their facility reopens.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard
I forgot to ask her if the off-road access will still be available after their facility reopens.
Heh, of all questions to forget to ask her Joe.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
I had a friend who went there this last weekend, and she said that it would be closed to motor vehicles...

I dont know who told her that, or the validity of it...

should be interesting to find out more.

Tam
Old 09-08-2004, 08:36 AM

Cool

The first time we heard about LCIR closing to all off road vehicles was about four yeras ago. I believe it was in late October of '01 that the CA4WD Club sponsored a trail clean up and about 60 Jeeps showed up for a day work and a BBQ in the late afternoon. I was on the trail crew that ran from the main gate to the top of Hot Springs Mt. We picked up a lot of trash and along the way we were slowed by members of the Sierra Club who walked slowly in front of us or just stopped to talk. Thay did not assist in the clean up. At the top of the Mt, I talked to one of the Sierra Club members. He said it was their aim to close LICR to all off road use as soon as they could and that they were working very closely with the LCIR Tribal Council to find alternate sources of generating revenue. Horse camping seems to be the answer.
However, there are members of the LCIR band who are avid off roaders and they have delayed the banning of off road use for several years. Maybe our LCIR off roading friends have moved on or just given up the good fight. In any case, I am afraid that we have just lost one of the best off roading venues in SOCAL, and it was our fault. Did we meet with the LCIR Tribal Council and present our position or even suggest a joint use option? No we didn't. We let the Sierra Club walk all over us, again. At some point we, the non-aligned Jeepers of the world, have got to get our act together or we are not going to have any place left to wheel. Our Jeeps will be relics that we go out to the garage on weekends and look at and tell our kids about the good times we used to have at Los Coyotes, Big Bear and the Anza Borrego.
We all seem to have a great deal of passion when we are on line but no backbone when it comes to actually taking on the Sierra Club, attending meetings and defending our sport, hobby or whetever you may want to call it. I am as guilty of this lack of action as anyone. What is it going to take to get us off the "dime?" How many off road venues do we have to lose?
Enough.

Fred
Old 09-08-2004, 09:27 AM

Here's a copy of an email I wrote to the LCIR yesterday afternoon. I haven't received a responce back yet. Once I do, I'll pass the info along.

Quote:
Hi,

I noticed on your website that you folks campground will be closed for a while as renovations occur. I wish you the best for things to go well!

I was wondering how this might effect the folks who use your facility to go off-roading and use these designated trails? Will off-roading still be available during this period and also afterwards, and if so - can users park their tow rigs in some area and take their Jeeps/SUV's off them and continue to use the off=road portion of your Reservation?

Thanks for your assistance in answering my questions.

Best Regards,
Joe Dillard
Old 09-14-2004, 09:06 AM

Just an update, well, sort of.

I haven't received a responce to the email I sent out a week ago to the LCIR folks. I suspect that with all the calls, work, etc going on, my questions may have fallen through the cracks.

So, I sent a follow-up email to see if maybe this is so with the same general questions as to our access after it reopens - or if decisions are still in the works.

If I don't hear from them soon, I'll call again to see what I can find out. I don't want to be pestering them - but at the same time, I'd like to be able to put out accurate info regarding their intentions and the future of their facility.