Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-30-2002, 08:13 PM

Speedo gear advice appreciated

Hey guys,

While I was getting around to finishing up this and that for the rubicon, I thought I'd finally get around to zeroing out my speedo (or as close as possible).

After the axle swap, my speedo was way off on account of the new gearing.

I checked one of the various charts on the internet and went with at 38 tooth gear.

I am still 3 MPH fast at 30 MPH.

I need to get a higher gear, correct?

Will a 39 tooth gear be enough to get my speedo true or should I go with a 40 tooth?

Right now, I have 4.88 on 33 inch MTRs. My preference is to run a tad slow than a tad fast, so you can figure that into your calculations.

The charts always seem to be off by a little or a lot, so any opinions would be appreciated before I order yet another gear that may or may not work.

Thanks,
Shalom
Old 07-30-2002, 10:19 PM

Now that I think about it (and after talking to someone), I think I'm dyslexic on this. I need to get a smaller tooth gear to slow down.

So I probably need a 37 or 36. Anyone have a link to an accurate speedo chart? One they used and worked for them on the first try or so?

The only link to one I have told me to use a 38.

[EDIT]

Nevermind folks. I answered my own question by searching the forum (which I should have probably done anyway).

Chirs L had a thread with a link up. Looks like the chart says I need a 37. I'll try my 36 again tomorrow because I think the neighborhood advisory speed radar trailer is nearby my work. I'll see how slow the 36 runs, and if it is not okay, I'll order a 37.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2002, 11:36 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Shalom,

FWIW, I found that my odometer and speedometer give me different readings. I calibrated my speedo gear to my odometer using my GPS mileage over a several hundred mile freeway drive to the Rubicon. According to it, my odometer is accurate to 0.1%, yet my speedometer reads a few mph faster than the actual speed according to the gps. Since the speedo/odo are electronic and driven off of the same sensor, I can only guess theorize (guess) that they read fast from the factory to get us to drive a bit slower? ... or it's just a crappy guage!
Old 07-31-2002, 07:43 AM

I guess I'm lucky. We have a four wheel shop here in Vegas that sells you one gear and lets you exchange it until you get the right one. Of course he screws you a bit on the first one, but it's worth it.