Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 03-06-2004, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Puegeot tranny won't go into any gear/stuck in gear?!

I drained the fluid out of it (needed changed), I then proceeded to remove the shifter and pour two quarts of ATF through the top (While the drain plug still removed). I let it set like that for a few days, meant to be overnight to get all of it to drain out but didn'tt get to work on it forawhile.

Worked on it tonight some. I put the drain plug back in, and put in two quarts of pennzoil synchromesh fluid from the top. Bolted the shifter back on and its stuck in gear. Which one I dont know. With the engine off it wont go into gear with the clutch in or out. With the engine running and the clutch in it just wont go into any gear. But it does the slop in it like trannys have when in neutral. However, it only goes to the right. When I let go, it goes to the left and wont move any farther to the left. So its stuck in gear and the shifter moves to the right. I never ran the tranny with no fluid in it. What's going on? Thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Re: Puegeot tranny won't go into any gear/stuck in gear?!

Quote:
Originally posted by LeadFoot
I drained the fluid out of it (needed changed), I then proceeded to remove the shifter and pour two quarts of ATF through the top (While the drain plug still removed). I let it set like that for a few days, meant to be overnight to get all of it to drain out but didn'tt get to work on it forawhile.

Worked on it tonight some. I put the drain plug back in, and put in two quarts of pennzoil synchromesh fluid from the top. Bolted the shifter back on and its stuck in gear. Which one I dont know. With the engine off it wont go into gear with the clutch in or out. With the engine running and the clutch in it just wont go into any gear. But it does the slop in it like trannys have when in neutral. However, it only goes to the right. When I let go, it goes to the left and wont move any farther to the left. So its stuck in gear and the shifter moves to the right. I never ran the tranny with no fluid in it. What's going on? Thanks!!!
sounds like you missed with the shifter. Take it off and try again.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:31 PM

Blaine:
Thanks for the reply. I removed it and installed it numurous times with no success. Excuse the mud, I cleaned it off the best I could before I started to work on it. The shifter slides into the two metal slots perfectly but won't move (same motions as I described previously. The little metal piece on the left hand is a notch into which the shifter slides into perfectly.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...23842396NvUaNK

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...23842553hxLXVA

Heres the notch into the shifter which the little metal piece on the tranny slides into.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...23842476BuiGnN

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2004, 07:29 PM

Blaine you had it right. Theres a bunch of little rails (best term I can currently think of) that all must be perfectly aligned with eachother before it works. Its now working wonderfully.

Thanks for saving me lots of $$.