Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-06-2003, 10:05 PM

Allen, interesting welding thread at...

I saw an interesting thread at http://www.jeepaholics.com/citizensb...TOPIC_ID=20227 and thought you'd enjoy some of the stuff being said. It sounds like good stuff on mig vs. tig and stick but then what do I know.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:15 AM

Wow,

Isn't that a can of worms.

Weld strength, when all other things are equal, really depends on the filler rod, or electrode chosen. If those are equal in strength, then my first choice would be TIG. But only for a small job or an exotic metal. My second choice would be MIG, but only because it's fast and easy. That leaves poor, old, stick welding bringing up the rear. It just never gets the respect it deserves.

There really isn't a correct answer. There's just too many variables. Welder skill being the biggest one.

The guy, Jeepnbeer, I tend to agree with his first statement.

It isn't so much about which is stronger, but what you're doing or the process involved.

For example, my complete surprise that Champion Beadlocks MIG welds aluminum rims. Granted it's an automated process, but I had long assumed he used TIG. Go figure.

It's more about what you're doing. Electrode choices seem almost endless, and are expanding all the time.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?