Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 05-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Reggae

A visit to Mexico

In June I have an old friend and his wife come over from Russia for the summer vacation. They want to see Mexico. Really no requirements at to the specifics: could be just for a couple of hours, or a couple of days. None of us speak Spanish.

I've never been to Mexico, and have no idea what to expect. Does anybody have any recommendations, or perhaps want to be a tour-guide?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM

I wouldn't mind tagging along if a trip to Ensenada was in the mix of things. Ensenada is ~75 miles south of San Ysidro or ~1:15 minute drive from the border. The toll highway is good all the way there and pretty safe. Excellent food, good shopping & relatively close.

A stop in Puerto Nuevo on the way to Ensenada would be excellent too. Fantastic seafood!

Most business owners/workers in the major cities speak pretty good english - so that shouldn't be much of a concern.

I'm making a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta in one more week from now.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM

You guys aren't worried heading down there with all the drug cartel battles going on in the border towns?

From what it seems, parts of baja are pretty out of control at the moment.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
They want to see Mexico.
Take them to La Habra instead. it's more authentic and safer.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
I wouldn't mind tagging along if a trip to Ensenada was in the mix of things. Ensenada is ~75 miles south of San Ysidro or ~1:15 minute drive from the border. The toll highway is good all the way there and pretty safe. Excellent food, good shopping & relatively close.

A stop in Puerto Nuevo on the way to Ensenada would be excellent too. Fantastic seafood!

Most business owners/workers in the major cities speak pretty good english - so that shouldn't be much of a concern.

I'm making a trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta in one more week from now.
"A stop in Puerto Nuevo on the way to Ensenada would be excellent too. Fantastic seafood!"

this is the one that worries me.
i am a big fan of mexico, and have traveled there many many times. as much as twice a month for the food

ensenada is a lot of fun! i always have a great time down there.
the last time i was there we stopped in puerto nuevo, and it was like a barren wasteland. there were NO tourists in there at all. after asking around a bit and reading the "gringo" newspaper i found that the police department had just been shot up days before by drug lords lynch-men.

it would be good to keep up to date with what is going on down there by reading this:
http://www.gringogazettenorth.com/index.php

you should drop Vern (Britian) a line. he works in baja and travels it daily.
i'm sure you'll have some fun down there. everyone crossing the border does need a passport these days.

as far as the craziness happening down there, i have never let it stop me in the past, and likely wont start now. in fact, i think it is time for some tacos very shortly
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
In June I have an old friend and his wife come over from Russia for the summer vacation. They want to see Mexico. Really no requirements at to the specifics: could be just for a couple of hours, or a couple of days. None of us speak Spanish.

I've never been to Mexico, and have no idea what to expect. Does anybody have any recommendations, or perhaps want to be a tour-guide?

Thanks.
Table dance required ? ..just kiddin,

June 14th I'll be in Rosarito for a Baja Crawler event. Get me a date when they will be here, if I'm free perhaps I can help out.

Passports for sure. What would be of interest to see?
Vern
Old 05-22-2008, 08:05 PM

I would advise against it.

I've crossed the border hundreds of times for both business and pleasure and have always been aware that I may not come back North with all of my belongings (our car was stolen from the Rosarito Beach Hotel secured lot many years back), and will most likely have to pay a bribe to a crooked cop (every other trip was the norm). Those risks I have gladly accepted.

The bad element has dramatically changed in Northern Baja. It is an all out drug cartel war right now. The few good cops are asking the US for political asylum - they want out before they and their families are killed.

Chances are good that you won't be at the epicenter of the next shootout. What will effect you is the thousands of hard core criminals that have come to Northern Baja to fight for their cartel. In their "off" time they rob, rape, carjack and kill tourist for easy money, fun and vehicles.

Their is absolutely NOTHING in Tiajuana or Ensenada worth these risks.

If your friends really want to see baja, fly to Cabo ($300 round trip) and have a blast.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 PM

I have to agree with Matt on nixing Mexico for now, it's just not worth the risks at this point in time Sergey. I was a regular in Mexico for years, especially in Puerto Nuevo for their great lobster restaurants and prices, but I haven't taken my family down there in several years now except way south via cruise boat to Cabo San Lucas and a couple to Ensenada. We won't go into Mexico by car at all, the border areas are being contested by several large drug cartels and shootouts are not uncommon anymore. They're kidnapping Americans for ransom, and robberies further down even on the toll road are becoming a problem. Areas like Puerto Nuevo are WAY down on tourists, few are going down there right now. Ensenada is probably still fairly safe but I wouldn't feel comfortable driving there at this time . The last couple times we were there was off a cruise ship and it was fine but I sure wouldn't want to drive there for the time being.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 AM

I wouldnt go to Mexico for whats been said here. Mexico is still safer then the Middle Ease, Africa, or even Russia. Been to all those places. Still like Mexico and have no problem moving around down here.

Perhap Sergy, go to Disney they have its a "wonderfull world ride" that is safe to go on. Maybe they should change the title eh?
Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM

The farther away from the border the safer and nicer the country is. If you need any advice I can help I'm still living down here.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM

Smile

Sergey,

I have been going to Mexico since 1962. As things now stand in the border towns and 100 miles below, I recommend that you explore flying to Puerto Vallarta for a long weekend. Great town, friendly folks and good food.
I guess I agree with Joe Dillard and Joel when it comes to visits to Mexico.

Fred
Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for the recommendations. I had no idea how serious things were. I pretty much talked my friends out from visiting Mexico from this side. I offered to take a plane or a cruise ship instead.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM

FYI you need to visit to the Mexican Caribbean. Playa del Carmen (1 hour south of cancun is awesome) much better than Cancun itself. That place is awesome.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Cruise ship thats the way to go!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:39 PM

Don't listen to me Sergey! I don't have access to know what is safe.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:19 AM

I work with a lot of people who were born in Mexico. In the last 6 months two of them have had to go home to bury their brothers who were shot dead in the streets. That country is out of control with violence and since you cannot properly arm yourself when you visit I'd stay away.

Take them to Old Town San Diego and have Margaritas - call it good.

I see no reason to visit any part of Mexico in the near future.