Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 06-16-2005, 11:15 AM

Started my homebrew bumpers (lots of pics)

I've been meaning to get off my duff & fab some bumpers for my junk for a long time.....well, here's how progress is going so far.

Materials to date purchased from Calif. Metals Supply in El Cajon, are:

2"x4"x60"x.120 wall rectangular tube. 2 pieces for $52.00
.25"x3"x2' flat plate. $6.00

I started things out by using just my sawzall to cut with. I soon changed my evil ways & decided to pick-up a 14" cut-off saw, and upgraded my welding helmet and got an auto darkening adjustable lens helmet.

I need to run a couple more beads to finish welding the mounting brackets on the bumper. However.....my mix tank ran out last night & I'll fill it today on my way home. I'll rattle can it with some rustoleum primer and flat black paint tonight. Then it's on to the front.

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-16-2005, 08:39 PM

JOE!!!!

They aren't chrome!!!!

PS - I'll call you next week - sorry I haven't responded yet!

Jeff
Old 06-16-2005, 11:31 PM

No worries Jeff! I'll be up north near Oxnard (Port Hueneme), for the next 10 weeks of weekdays working in a Tomahawk lab. I can be reached on my cell as long as I'm not in one of the labs.

Oh, about the chrome.........I'm not finished yet!