Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > The Photo Circle
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Photo Circle Our brand spanking new forum to discuss and ask questions about anything related to photography. Also share you pictures and talk about creative works.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Reggae

Sergey?s studio; Mach 2

After playing with two umbrellas for a while, I realized that it was absolutely paramount for me to light the background separately from the subject. As such I got some more lights, and some various modifiers, while at it: a soft box, a snot, some reflectors, flags, stands, and booms.

Playing with all this stuff I quickly realized that evenly lit pictures look flat and uninteresting. In the real world we always encounter imperfect light, and the human eye likes the flaws. So the challenge of studio lighting becomes how to put imperfections in the picture, but only those imperfections that look pleasing.

Here is one setup I tried:

A soft box provides the main light; reflectors are used for fill; there is a rim light on the back, and a kicker umbrella on the side. A black gobo between the kicker and the camera reduces flare.

And here is the result:

The intention for this picture is a low key portrait. The lens is 85 mm at f/5.6 on a full frame camera, the image is slightly cropped.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Not bad!
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Reggae

Thank you.

And here are my latest efforts in product photography:

Here is a link to a full-resolution image of this picture (big):
http://www.pronografics.com/pictures...4/DSC_0981.jpg
Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
After playing with two umbrellas for a while, I realized that it was absolutely paramount for me to light the background separately from the subject. As such I got some more lights, and some various modifiers, while at it: a soft box, a snot, some reflectors, flags, stands, and booms.

Playing with all this stuff I quickly realized that evenly lit pictures look flat and uninteresting. In the real world we always encounter imperfect light, and the human eye likes the flaws. So the challenge of studio lighting becomes how to put imperfections in the picture, but only those imperfections that look pleasing.

Here is one setup I tried:

A soft box provides the main light; reflectors are used for fill; there is a rim light on the back, and a kicker umbrella on the side. A black gobo between the kicker and the camera reduces flare.

And here is the result:

The intention for this picture is a low key portrait. The lens is 85 mm at f/5.6 on a full frame camera, the image is slightly cropped.
Much better. More than good enough for Van's stuff. I like that portait much better as well.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Reggae

Another table-top exercise:

And the big version:
http://www.pronografics.com/pictures...4/DSC_1008.jpg

Edit: Oops. Notice the very slight darkening in the very top right corner of the picture. That’s what happens when you forget to reposition one of the reflector cards after adjusting something on the table: little things matter.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:11 AM
You can call me Ray

Send a message via ICQ to VancoPBS Send a message via AIM to VancoPBS
Simply amazing.

I like the shadows on 3 more then I do on 5. Are they different?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Reggae

Thank you.

Same idea but slightly different; I think I brought the key light more forward and closer to the subject. Little changes in light can make dramatic changes. Basically there is no one 'works for everything' setup; every subject brings its own set of challenges. Also, things with a lot of direct reflections (like shiny metal) require special attention.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Reggae

Question Economical source of shot bags

Here is a question for everybody.

Safety precautions require weighting the bottoms of light stands to reduce likelihood of accidental tipping.

Once I had a light box swaying at the end of a long counterweighted boom, I realized that this is actually a good recommendation. So, I am looking to get some weights for my studio. Generally, sand bags, water bags, and shot bags are used. I think I want shot bags (bags filled with buckshot).

At a popular store the current prices for shot bags are as follow:

5 lb bag - $28.50
10 lb bag - $37.50
15 lb bag - $44.50

Here is one of those bags: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ot_Bag_15.html

Things sold in photographic stores tend to be more expensive than same or similar things sold for general use. Do you know if there is a cheaper product available? Maybe something sold at a sporting goods store or at Harbor Freight. Let me know if you have any ideas about this.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:46 PM

Sergey,

Scuba divers use shot bags for their weight belts. It's been awhile, but I paid a fraction of the price per lb that your showing (just gave away the last of my weight shot bags too...).

The scuba bags are small, ~4"x4", 1 to 5 lb iirc.

How about shotgun shot in zip locks?