Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-01-2005, 04:05 PM

Angry Oil in air filter

Hello. After buying my jeep, I went through it looking to see what I need to repair. I found that there was oil in the air filter housing and the rocker arms seem to be loose. I could use some advise on what to do with these two problems. I'm wanting to do all the work myself and I have bought a Chiltons manual. I just would like to get some input from some veterans. Thanks!!

MUD&GUTS
Old 05-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Re: Oil in air filter

Quote:
Originally posted by MUD&GUTS
Hello. After buying my jeep, I went through it looking to see what I need to repair. I found that there was oil in the air filter housing and the rocker arms seem to be loose. I could use some advise on what to do with these two problems. I'm wanting to do all the work myself and I have bought a Chiltons manual. I just would like to get some input from some veterans. Thanks!!

MUD&GUTS
Year of rig if different than your title states, approximate mileage, what engine, and any other pertinent info will aid those in trying to help you with an answer.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:33 PM

It's a 1983 CJ7. It has the 4.2 ltr 258 slant (I think) six. It has approx 157k miles on it. After listening a little closer, the ticking noise seems to be coming from underneath. I'm not sure if it is an exhaust leak or not. I'm going to check a little further when I get some more free time. If it's not an exhaust leak, what other possibility could it be? Thanks!

MUD&GUTS
Old 05-02-2005, 05:02 AM

Oil in air filter is lilkely "blow-by" and would be appropriate for the mileage you have. Keep a clean PCV valve in it, and wipe out the oil when you can. Long term solution is a rebuilt motor.
Ticking noise is highly likely to be an exhaust leak, gasket at head, crack in the manifold, or the exhaust donut between the manifold and your exhaust pipe.
Take a long screwdriver and put it on the oil pan, and timing cover; and put handle against your skull- by your ear. This may help to isolate the noise. Under the front cover noise is likely timing chain related.
Note: There are a ton of things that can make unusual noises. Id'ing them through the computer screen can be pretty tough.
If you get stumped, find a local mechanic you trust; and get them to help you. Your engine is getting up there on miles, expect some noises.