Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > The Photo Circle
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Photo Circle Our brand spanking new forum to discuss and ask questions about anything related to photography. Also share you pictures and talk about creative works.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:44 AM

Mountain Springs

For those of you that know where 8 splits up going down from Mountain Springs to the desert. Ever wonder whats in between them?

My Friend steeve snapped the 8 freeway survey marker in 2006. It sits on the highest peak between the split freeway

From that point he took this picture of a mine someone was working.

So whats the miner guy up to? Heres a link to some pictures in the split of 8.

Pictures Here
Old 11-04-2007, 03:38 PM

Nice shots Vern. Anything new with the Devils Canyon route? Sure was fun
Old 11-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Reggae

Nice.

I think that white rock on another picture is calcite. It was widely used for optics around WWII time, but doesn’t have much of monetary value these days (although there are some collectible varieties). The miners were probably after something else.

BTW, if you like the Web Album Generator but looking for something with more options then give JAlbum a try.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:08 PM

Matt looks like the BLM first thought it was a lambing area. I had another meeting with them. Its not a Lambing area, they also admitt it was/is a jeep trail at one time. Now they are working with the Fish and Game to see what impact wheelers will have on the sheep. They dont want them running across the freeway.

Though on another note I did have the chance to talk to a CHP who has been patrolling this area for 20 reays. HE claims that those sheep are running across the freeway all the time. Many many of them. Also these sheep are not the original sheep. Seems like the original sheep got some disease and died off. These sheep are transplants. Go figure.

Theres also going to be an independent study on those sheep from a wheeler view.

FYI the buildings at mountain springs and property are owned by the owner of the In ko pah towing at the top of the hill. Per the CHP officer hes friendly and likes the local history of this area. I'll prob talk to him on some other points of interest later.

Serg,
Theres lots of those mines and all are in this redish dirt with that white stuff running through it. Some of the mines are still in use. Theres screens laying around for siffting. The top mesa area is pretty cool for snapping pic.

Will look up Jalbum thanks.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM

100-400 lens

I really like this lens. For snooping its great! Palms about 5 miles out.

Good stuff!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM

South of the runnaway truck ramp

Heres some pics of south of the runnaway truck ramp just passed Mountain springs. Its a pretty cool area. Lots of garbage thrown off of 8 untill you clear the freeway Trucks, cars etc.

Mile in it gets really cool. Found some old wood from some structures out of the creek bed.

Pics Here
Old 11-22-2007, 09:18 PM

Old Photos of Mountain Springs Area

This is a really cool area to explore. Lots of stuff happened here. The old stages which ran from San Diego to Tuson originally went through Mexico starting at Tijuana and coming out at Tecate ( This trail changed because they kept getting robbed ...nothing changes much in Mexico eh?

Heres an old ad, John Capron ran the mail and stage lines from San Diego to Tuson. Stops at all the towns along the way. Arizona City was Yuma. He later sold the siz 4 horse stages cheap. All stages carried dynamite, after leaving mountain springs that stuff was needed in Devils to clear the landslides.

I like this old picture.

Other Old Picture match ups HERE

So heres some stuff I found hiking around in the area..what is it??

Kaboom

Some stuff needs to be left alone