Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

View Poll Results: Keep the stock tranny or upgrade?
Suck it up and replace that crappy tranny 3 75.00%
Tranny sucks but it should last for the year 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2004, 10:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Another lame what should I do thread

I have a 14bolt that will need about another $200 to get it rolling under my jeep. Still need to find a D44 or 60 (probably a 44 due to costs) for the front and do that, I'm allowing $600 for it, including purchase price, all new bearings, seals, etc. Allowing $500 for steering, if I luck out and can do some hydro assist and still stay under 500 I'll do it. Another $400 for driveshafts, and I'm at $1700 now. Of course I rounded up the costs....I would rather have money left over than suprise expenses.

Since new driveshafts will be required, I was really wanting to do a np435/sm465/etc tranny with a granny gear and the matching case, but due the extra costs Im not sure if it will be worth it to do it all at once. While I am a WV redneck and a cheapskate, I REALLY hate doing stuff two and three times, so there is no way I would put in a new tranny and case without getting a new clutch, new bearings, seals, etc in both. So I would wind up having about $500 in the tranny and $300 in the t-case. SYE kits are so cheap on PBB now, its REAL tempting to just buy the $160 kit and be set.

The only thing is Im stuck with the POS peugeot tranny. I could make up for the lack of gearing in 1st with a 4-1 kit that wouldnt require me to get new driveshafts either, and would only be a few hour job to do. I am also doing a engine rebuild on my 4.2, I am allowing $500 for that. Nothing major, sending the head out to check for warps and cracks, new valve seals, etc and new rings, bearings, and oil pump. Just an overhaul basically. The only thing I am worried about is the strength of the stock tranny and running 38s down the road. Which path would you take in a situation like mine?
Old 11-24-2004, 11:46 PM

I would think that my decision would hinge on how I felt about numerous driveshaft rebuilds.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Jays89YJ
Re: Another lame what should I do thread

Quote:
Originally posted by LeadFoot
I have a 14bolt that will need about another $200 to get it rolling under my jeep. Still need to find a D44 or 60 (probably a 44 due to costs) for the front and do that, I'm allowing $600 for it, including purchase price, all new bearings, seals, etc. Allowing $500 for steering, if I luck out and can do some hydro assist and still stay under 500 I'll do it. Another $400 for driveshafts, and I'm at $1700 now. Of course I rounded up the costs....I would rather have money left over than suprise expenses.

Since new driveshafts will be required, I was really wanting to do a np435/sm465/etc tranny with a granny gear and the matching case, but due the extra costs Im not sure if it will be worth it to do it all at once. While I am a WV redneck and a cheapskate, I REALLY hate doing stuff two and three times, so there is no way I would put in a new tranny and case without getting a new clutch, new bearings, seals, etc in both. So I would wind up having about $500 in the tranny and $300 in the t-case. SYE kits are so cheap on PBB now, its REAL tempting to just buy the $160 kit and be set.

The only thing is Im stuck with the POS peugeot tranny. I could make up for the lack of gearing in 1st with a 4-1 kit that wouldnt require me to get new driveshafts either, and would only be a few hour job to do. I am also doing a engine rebuild on my 4.2, I am allowing $500 for that. Nothing major, sending the head out to check for warps and cracks, new valve seals, etc and new rings, bearings, and oil pump. Just an overhaul basically. The only thing I am worried about is the strength of the stock tranny and running 38s down the road. Which path would you take in a situation like mine?
Leadfoot, I got a really good deal on my SM465 (w/granny gear) when I put my AX-15 trade-in core value against it. My SM465 was completely rebuilt too. It's definitely a solid tranny, so I say junk yours and get the SM465.

You might want to consider looking HERE before getting a D44 for a front axle. LOL.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
That thread makes me want to get 5 ton rockwells.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
it's hard, but save some more and search for the tranny. i need to do mine within the next six months (since it's no longer a DD it can wait :P) and i'm ****ed because it will be the third or fourth time i've got to redo driveshafts. this time i think i'll replace the slips with long travel units.