Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-31-2004, 08:40 AM

Replacing Mirror- How to remove interior panel?

Greetings,

I am replacing the heated/power mirror on the driver's side of a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have a replacement mirror and am trying to figure out a way to remove the panel on the interior side of the door which will give me access to nuts securing the mirror. There is a small round access panel with well behind it. I removed the screw and the panel seems like it wants to come off but interlocks with other panels. Where do I go from here? I don't want to damage the interior panel and it doesn't seem to come off easily. Do I need to remove other panels as well?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

G.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:10 AM

Do you really need to remove the door panel ? I have recently done the same and all that I required to do was to push the new mirror fitting into four slots that are situated on the round plastic circle mounted onto the bi-directional motor. You should start by setting your motor as far to the right as possible and then working round clockwise until all four slots have clicked in. Before that remember to connect the wires. I am sure you do not have to remove any door panels.....maybe wrong tho
Old 01-31-2004, 10:13 AM

I appreciate the response. I may be a bit confused. I still have to remove the existing mirror and I am replacing the entire unit. Is there any way to get to it w/o removing the interior panel? It seems like it is bolted on from the inside of the door.

Thanks,

G.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:35 AM

I have looked at the manual for your vehicle and as you suspected you do need to remove the door panel....I was not sure you were wanting to replace the whole unit. To further confuse things it mentions having to disconnect the wires which is fine but it also recommends disconnecting the positive lead on your battery as it is liable to short circuit.....sounds drastic for the small job you have to do

Cheers

Charlie
Old 01-31-2004, 11:41 AM

Thanks again for your input. I greatly appreciate it! Did the manual indicate whether it was one access panel or several?

Thanks,

G.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:09 PM

one triangular panel which when removed shows one bolt which will loosen the caging. good luck
Old 01-31-2004, 12:13 PM

Again, many thanks for your help. BTW, which manual do you have?

Best regards,

G.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:55 PM

The manual I have is HAYNES REPAIR MANUAL for jeep cherokee 1992 - 2000 all models. It will show you how to do a complete teardown and rebuild with general maintence included.

The ISBN number if you wish to purchase is ISBN 1 56392 394 7

I have used it for everything in the last 6 years and have found it a great help

Charlie
Old 01-31-2004, 02:45 PM
Reggae

Here is a link to the manual on amazon:
Haynes Repair Manual (Jeep Grand Cherokee 1993-2000)

www.jeepbbs.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:46 AM

I got it done this morning. I actually purchased the Haynes manual everyone was referencing. Seemed like a good idea to have it around anyway. I did not remove the trim panel from the entire door, nor did the triangle piece behind the mirror come off by itself. However, I was able to loosen it sufficiently to work behind it.

This saved me a lot of $$$ compared to what the dealer wanted for the mirror (which I got from Ebay) and then to install.

Thanks to all.

G.