Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fluff Section
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fluff Section What hangs from your rear view mirror, jeep pets, 4x4 stickers. This forum is for items that are jeep related and not technical

Old 09-18-2003, 06:57 AM

Not very fluffy....maybe I can sneak it in as a pet....

Fluffy stuff in the background!!!!

Biggest one I've ever seen around here.....
Old 09-18-2003, 08:38 AM

If I had stuff like that in my yard I would move. Sticks are supposed to be on he ground dead not walking around

Scott
Old 09-25-2003, 12:51 PM

Very cool! I had a (smaller) mantis on my grill a couple weeks ago....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantis.jpg (23.6 KB, 496 views)
Old 09-25-2003, 08:09 PM

Exclamation Re: Not very fluffy....maybe I can sneak it in as a pet....

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbender
Fluffy stuff in the background!!!!

Biggest one I've ever seen around here.....

I thought you lived in the "Stick's" not with the "Stick's", I'd run screaming if I saw something like that in my tent
Old 09-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Reggae

Re: Re: Not very fluffy....maybe I can sneak it in as a pet....

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat

I'd run screaming if I saw something like that in my tent
Me too
Old 09-25-2003, 08:27 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Those things are cool.... and illegal to kill in NJ. I think it's getting a little chilly for them around here though, haven't seen one for a long time.

Now for running screaming out of my tent, a spider would have to be the one to do that for me.... ugh, I HATE spiders.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer
Those things are cool.... and illegal to kill in NJ. I think it's getting a little chilly for them around here though, haven't seen one for a long time.

Now for running screaming out of my tent, a spider would have to be the one to do that for me.... ugh, I HATE spiders.
If that's the case, it's quite obvious that Sergey has not informed you as to the precautions we take to protect ourselves from the hordes of Christmas Tent Spiders that invade JV in the winter.

here's a sample

We call them CTS because they like the heat from the propane stoves we keep in the tents. It's not uncommon to see a small herd circled around the tent trying to get warm. Pretty harmless though. Scarier than they look.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:04 PM

While not too big, I snaped a few shots a couple days ago of a spider while watering my fruit trees. I think it was slightly larger than a silver dollar.

Old 09-26-2003, 04:51 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
If that's the case, it's quite obvious that Sergey has not informed you as to the precautions we take to protect ourselves from the hordes of Christmas Tent Spiders that invade JV in the winter.

here's a sample

We call them CTS because they like the heat from the propane stoves we keep in the tents. It's not uncommon to see a small herd circled around the tent trying to get warm. Pretty harmless though. Scarier than they look.
You have got to be kidding me..... Guess I'll have to send Sergey out to protect me/chase them off.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:41 AM

Ha, Ha!

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me..... Guess I'll have to send Sergey out to protect me/chase them off.
That won't work, Sergey is afraid of Spiders too
Old 09-26-2003, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, that's like trying to stop a charging rhino with a BB gun. You better bring a spider stick.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:45 AM

Question That is one ugly spider!

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard
While not too big, I snaped a few shots a couple days ago of a spider while watering my fruit trees. I think it was slightly larger than a silver dollar.
Hey Joe,

Can I borrow that Spider around Christmas, I know the perfect tent to put it in I bet that I can get Wind Danzer to come out of the tent in 0.0001 seconds, I can use her for my alarm clock at the lake bed.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:21 AM

Quote:

here's a sample

Whose hand is that?!

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:13 AM
Arizona Chick

Sergey already told me he'd beat up some guys for me so I think he could handle a little spider or two. I'm sure if I asked real nice like he'd be brave and kill a few spiders.

Kat,

Funny.... really funny.... Just a word of warning, us right coasters know how to pull off really good practical jokes. I'll have 3 days... hmmmm... th gears are slowly starting to turn.

Muahahahhaa....
Old 09-26-2003, 10:55 AM

All you city slickers scared of a few little bugs!!!

The only thing that scares me in the wild (enough to run) are red wasps, yellowjackets, and hornets.

Played with everything else as a kid, had a copperhead for a pet for 3 months (in an aquarium, of course), tarantulas (like your CTS's), scorpions, coyote pups, raccoons, squirells, birds of all kinds, snapping turtles, rabbits, etc, etc.

I worked at a pet store while I went to college, had a few of everything over the years.

Had a pair of Burmese Pythons for 6 years, one was 13 ft long and the other about 10.

One got loose in the apartment complex I lived in at school and was gone for 3 months, he got into the maintenace crawlspace and could have came out anywhere (in any apt) but I came home one day and he was stretched out in the middle of the floor, got hungry I guess.

Electricity went out one night in severely cold weather and they froze to death.

HB
Old 09-26-2003, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
Whose hand is that?!

Allen
mine
Old 09-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think he could handle a little spider or two.
No doubt about that. Unfortunately, did you happen to notice the size of that spider? Not exactly what you would consider tiny and to boot, when there's not enough heat, they bury themselves in the sand to stay warm.

You never actually know how many are laying in wait.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:42 PM

If my wife sees this thread, you can bet she'll never show up at JV. She's hates spiders. If she sees one on the ceiling when we go to bed, she can't go to sleep until I get up an kill it.

Several years back we were camping in the White Mountains, just east of 395 north of Bishop. Some Coyotes started howling near bedtime, and over the course of the next hour gradually moved closer to camp (the yaps and howls were getting quite close). She became very concerned and wanted to pack up and leave.

Snakes don't seem to bother her, but spiders and small carnivores are another matter.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:42 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
No doubt about that. Unfortunately, did you happen to notice the size of that spider? Not exactly what you would consider tiny and to boot, when there's not enough heat, they bury themselves in the sand to stay warm.

You never actually know how many are laying in wait.
Mommy, I want my mommy!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 10:01 AM

Quote:
mine
Uh, ok.....mmmmm.....yeah.....F that you freak!

As someone who is "sensitive" (read:alergic) to some insect bites and stings, I tend to steer clear of things with fangs and stingers.

I like fuzzy caterpillars.....

And regular bees.....and bumble bees. They're ok.

Butterflies are nice.

Grasshoppers can hop on their merry way.

Dragonflies don't bother me.

Inchworms are fun to watch.

Even walking sticks and praying mantisis are acceptable.

But I draw the line at spiders larger than a half dollar. I don't kill them senselessly, but for my hand to be in the place of yours, I'd have to be dead.....I avoid them.

A spider bit me once. Took 17 years for the puncture wound scar/marks to leave.....uh, it hurt.....don't ask me what kind. I have no clue.....

I also draw the line with yellow jackets and wasps.....it's my personal mission to kill every single one. I killed 3 yellow jackets today.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 10-07-2003, 04:01 PM

How about some good stories? I once got stung 11 times in the head by hornets. My head was about the size of a basketball for a few days. So, I don't mess around with hornets. Although, a couple of wasp stings since then have barely bothered me - maybe I am immune!

-Bart
Old 10-07-2003, 04:17 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by bart
How about some good stories? I once got stung 11 times in the head by hornets. My head was about the size of a basketball for a few days. So, I don't mess around with hornets. Although, a couple of wasp stings since then have barely bothered me - maybe I am immune!

-Bart
Just be careful as allergies could sneak up on you. Hopefully you are right though about being immune.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:38 PM
AA reject

Here is one I ran across a couple of weekends ago in the desert.
I think it's called a wolf spider. It was the size of the palm of my hand.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
A spider bit me once. Took 17 years for the puncture wound scar/marks to leave.....uh, it hurt.....don't ask me what kind. I have no clue.....Allen
I got bit by a Black Widow in 1979 -- got to stay in the hospital for a while. The scar stayed until just a couple of years ago.

Up here in southern Utah, we have Wolf Spiders. Harmless and they kill lots of bugs. There're so many of them around, though, that I purchased some of those ultrasonic pest repellers that you plug in the wall. I walked into my shop one morning and here was a nice big Wolf Spider sitting on the ultrasonic repeller! I guess it liked the vibrations . . .
Old 10-29-2003, 02:55 PM

Re: That is one ugly spider!

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
Hey Joe,

Can I borrow that Spider around Christmas, I know the perfect tent to put it in I bet that I can get Wind Danzer to come out of the tent in 0.0001 seconds, I can use her for my alarm clock at the lake bed.
Yes you may (and the web it lives in).
Old 11-03-2003, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Howell
[B I walked into my shop one morning and here was a nice big Wolf Spider sitting on the ultrasonic repeller! I guess it liked the vibrations . . . [/B]
I usually give most living things a fighting chance to prove themselves worthy of being in my space. (Except ground squirrels, they are to destructive for me, but quite sporting in their own right). But if a spider defied me like that I would break out the foggers. I think in the movie "Aliens" they termed it "Nuke for mordom".
Phil, if you looked close I'll bet that one was giving you the finger!