Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-22-2002, 10:21 AM

808 steering box trouble

Somehow I managed to rip one of the teeth off of the pitman shaft in my 808 box. I'm a little surprised given the relative strength of the box, has anyone else seen this before? I'm no metallurgist but looking at the tooth fragment it looks like a bad casting. I'll call Lee on Monday to ask them to take a look but for now I'm just curious if I'm an anomoly or if it may be time to look for a box that is a step up in strength.
Old 12-24-2002, 10:32 AM

I dropped the box off at Lee mfg this morning and talked to them for a little while. They said that they've seen this before w/ 808 boxes when used with larger tires in the rocks and the fix is to get the ram installed to take some of the load off of the box, but that is a problem with the TC pump as discussed in a thread a month or two ago here.

He confirmed that they'd like to be able to move forward on adapting P style pumps for the TJ but had too many other things going on right now. When I get the box back I'm going to go ahead and install the ram and then pick up a used P pump and play around with some bracketry.