Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-26-2005, 09:16 PM

Trouble Starting:

Please forgive me for posting a question related to a Honda Civic But I could'nt bring myself to log into NopiTunnerVision.com.

In a nut shell, when I turn the key, the starter relay (I think) starts clicking rapidly and the lights on the dash dim considerably . When I hit the relay, while it's chattering, it stops until I recycle the ingition.

So my question is, does that sound like a fired starter, a fired relay, or something else? I need a good place to start looking.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:51 PM

my old nissan did the same thing when the battery was getting weak (left the interior light on overnight, for example)... maybe check that or your battery cables and/or clamps might be corroded?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:34 PM

My mustang used to do exactly that when the battery was starting to go.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:23 AM

Same here.

74 Javelin. Battery replaced.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:54 AM

Clean all your battery connections, battery posts, starter and solenoid connections. make sure they are tight and try again. If possible put the battery on a charger before trying again. If still does the same you can get a free battery test at most automotive parts stores, as stated above it is usually the battery or a bad connection. Cleaning and tightening the connections is cheaper if that fixes it.
John
Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Turn on the headlights. If they are dim, battery and/or battery connections. If they are bright, but when you try to start it, dim or go out completely, then battery and/or connections.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:56 PM

Thanks everyone. I will give it a try and post the result.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
good timing on this post. i picked up a starter for my dodge yesterday. twice it had just not done a thing when i turned the key, but started up no problems the second try. the other night i could get it to click once sometimes, but it took me about 15 turns of the key to get going. the starter, a cheap one, is over $200. i'm horrible with electrical stuff, so it's testing my patience to try and troubleshoot this before i put the new starter in. i get 11V off both batteries when the truck is turned off, headlights on or off. I didn't get a chance to test current while the engine was running, as it was early in the morning and the truck is rather loud. hoping it'll get me to work and back tomorrow so i can have the weekend to fool with it.

doesn't help much that the meter i'm using is from HF and has no instructions to go with my electrical ignorance. i had a decent one, but smashed it, this was to be in my trail bag.

the previous owner gave me a stack of receipts and maintenance records and i think one of them is for the batteries from sears. i believe i should still have a warranty on the batteries, hopefully they'll pass it onto me. there's a little bit of buildup around the terminals but not much. i'll try cleaning it all up.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:46 PM

Nice thing about AZ (or bad thing, depending on how you look at it), batteries tend to only last 2 or 3 years. However, warranties last for 5-7 depending on the make. I've had 3 batteries in my Grand since '99 and only paid for the first replacement.

The clicking you refer to sounds exactly like the battery!

Jeeper
Old 07-27-2005, 03:54 PM

makes sense now that i remember some slow starts and varying voltages read on the guage..i act like a (most) girl when it comes to this stuff...if I ignore it, maybe it will go away.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:34 PM

battery tests at 11v when off overnight, and 13.x while running at idle. looking through my paperwork that came with thet ruck and hoping the warranty on the batteries transfers over to me