Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

steering upgrade

Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Is that the ORO kit or the Tera kit and what's up with the track bar?

And where did the pitman arm go?

Educate me, what am I looking at? You see that I do notice normal things missing, I just don't know exactly what else I might be missing.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Holy bumpsteer Batman!
Old 05-25-2005, 11:54 PM

EEK! That looks like Tera steering. Is that the white TJ Grady was working on? I think Grady welded up the knuckle for that; correct? That track bar has to go! We won't even get into the Tera LA lift on it. I don't understand why the guy didn't go with Troy's steering instead.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 05-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

That is the Tera steering from what I was told.

It is a Tera knuckle on the passenger side as I saw the casting marks on it when we pulled it off.

Jamie, I believe the steering box skid is not allowing you to see the pitman arm. There really was one on it when I looked.

Eric, the way I heard it, Flyin-Hi talked the owner into the steering system. When you saw it on the lift, it was in the process of getting the TBT steering installed.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:43 PM

I had the Tera stearing for a short period of time on my SOA YJ. Very poorly designed for a leaf sprung vehicle and could not be used.

I would not recomend Tera products to anyone.

That said... the install on that Tera stearing looks wrong. The draglink should be under the knuckle to help match the trackbar angle and I cant tell from the pic, but if he has a drop pitman arm, that will add to the problems. You are supposed to use a pitman with almost no drop.

I was very impressed when Tera designed a complete D30 high steer knuckle, but their execution of the kit sucks
Old 05-26-2005, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe

I was very impressed when Tera designed a complete D30 high steer knuckle, but their execution of the kit sucks
You just described the entire Tera design philosophy.

You can apply that to almost every product they sell.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:37 PM

steering upgrade?
Old 05-31-2005, 11:21 PM

I came across this exact same issue on another forum. Which prompted me to approach the Teraflex guys at UROC here a couple weeks back. They could give me no reasoning as to why their steering "Upgrade" was designed like this.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:34 AM

in defense of teraflex, there is good reason why they did the steering in such manner. The problem is people are using it out side of why it was manuf. Which is just as much teraflexs fault for selling it to the public seperate as the person who installs it and wonders why they have bumpsteer. Anyhow the steering is ment to be installed on TJs with the LCG suspension that has a triangulated 3link front end. hopefully this makes sense enough.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I am not at all convinced that Tera is trying very hard to inform people as to why their new steering system was produced. Direct from their web site, they say:

Quote:
The TeraFlex high steer system will beef up the essential steering components of your Dana 30 front axle. The system includes a HD tie rod and drag link with one ton tie rod ends & tapered inserts, new pitman arm, and the HD cast high steer knuckle.

Part #HSK for 4+" of lift
Part #HSK-LCG for LCG applications

NOTE: The high steer system is not an all inclusive kit. Additional modifications will be required that are not included in the TeraFlex high steer system. These modifications may include front sway bar links, front track bar mounting, and offset wheels. (The HSK is recommended for vehicles with 4+" of lift.)

Yes, they say that additional modifications will be required, but I don't see where it states that it is intended for LCG suspension owners.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:37 PM

I was talking to the Tera guys at the Off Road Expo last fall and they said nothing about it being specific to the LCG kit at the time. Personally, they aren't any different than most aftermarket whores - they will sell you anything to get their hands on your duckets and then good luck getting them back if the part is not what you needed.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:16 PM

my point exactly. they will sell it to anyone. not informing the consumer whats involved to get the setup to work properly. Belive me i am one of the masses who HATE teraflex, there products are junk and they use the consumer for testing. i was just stating that this steering was intended to deal with bumpsteer issuse with a tri 3 link front end like with the LCG.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:19 AM

While looking through the latest issue of 4WD and Sport Utility last night, I noticed an ad for the new Teraflex LCG system. Just as an FYI, there is no mention of a steering modification requirement nor are there any steering parts shown in the ad.