Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-17-2005, 08:43 AM

Question Steel or aluminum???

Wheels that is........

I've broken two aluminum wheels lately and i'm considering going back to steel. The obvious would be weight savings and the fact that steel wheels can be hammered back if slightly bent. The black "rock crawler" steelies are sure cheaper to replace.

On a side note: My wife prefers the black wheels for looks.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 01-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Reggae

If you drive at speeds [on the street] a lot, out of round steel wheels will cause damage to hubs and other components. I have first hand experience.

I would also personally use aluminum rims even on a rig that is no longer a daily driver. The later is just personal choice.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:33 AM

Thank you. Even though they are ugly; I have a good line on 5 Weld Stone Crushers. These are two piece forged wheels. These should prove to be much stronger.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:50 AM

I know more then a couple people who had nothing but problems trying to get cheapy steel wheels to balance.

I'd stick to Al - try to find some MT Classics or Challengers used - they are forged. Then beadlock them!

I'm not sure I honsetly believe that you can hammer a bent rim back into anything servicable over 10mph anyway - or even to get the tire to hold air consistanly if you've bent the bead.

Jeff
Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
Thank you. Even though they are ugly; I have a good line on 5 Weld Stone Crushers. These are two piece forged wheels. These should prove to be much stronger.
I install a lot of Weld Stone Crushers on many of my new truck dealer's trucks and while they are a good high-quality wheel, I sure wouldn't use them on a hardcore offroad Jeep. That particular wheel just won't hold up to that kind of abuse. Weld's one-piece wheels are more than up to it though.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
I install a lot of Weld Stone Crushers on many of my new truck dealer's trucks and while they are a good high-quality wheel, I sure wouldn't use them on a hardcore offroad Jeep. That particular wheel just won't hold up to that kind of abuse. Weld's one-piece wheels are more than up to it though.
Ack!!! Now you chime in! I already installed them. I thought forged wheels were the way to go? Well; I only paid $350.00 for five like new wheels. I guess i'll find out.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:34 AM

I'm still trying to figure out the statement about why a forged Weld wheel isn't abuse friendly Weld has staked their reputation on their durability.

Eric, beadlock them and I think you will be fine. I am running an MT forged wheel with a Champoin beadlock and I have not treated them kindly at all. They are just fine as I would imagine the Weld would be. I ran a set of steelies years ago and got rid of them after 2 trips to JV. They were bent, out of round and while the balancer would read zero, they weren't true running as testified by a serious vibration in my Jeep at freeway speeds.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
I'm still trying to figure out the statement about why a forged Weld wheel isn't abuse friendly Weld has staked their reputation on their durability.
Exactly. But they do have several quality levels of wheels, including less expensive two-piece designs like the model 53 Mountain Crusher and their significantly more expensive one-piece premium wheels like the Cheyenne. My company has had a few problems with the two-piece Mountain Crusher when it sees anything other than road use so we try not to install them on 4x4 trucks that would be more likely to see added stress. We've replaced a few sets of Weld's two-piece wheels under warranty so we're just extra careful on what kind of truck gets them.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:50 AM

Hmmm,
Seems kinda oxymoronic then, to call them Stone Crushers. Don't forget, these are going on a Wrangler, not a full size truck.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates

Eric, beadlock them and I think you will be fine. I am running an MT forged wheel with a Champoin beadlock and I have not treated them kindly at all. They are just fine as I would imagine the Weld would be. I ran a set of steelies years ago and got rid of them after 2 trips to JV. They were bent, out of round and while the balancer would read zero, they weren't true running as testified by a serious vibration in my Jeep at freeway speeds.
I guess I was stumped as well about the comment about Weld Stonecrusher wheels. Weld is an old name in racing and their reputation is outstanding. I guess i'll find out soon enough.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:28 PM

By the way, I accidentally kept using the Mountain Crusher wheel name in place of the Stone Crusher name in my comments. I'm installing the Mountain Crusher wheel on a lot of trucks so it was out of habit.

However, the Stone Crusher and Mountain Crusher are both in the same "Crusher" series which are all two-piece designs. I'm not guessing your Stone Crushers are going to break, just that I personally have seen some problems with Weld's two piece wheels when they're used hard.

Just a kind of a "steer towards Weld's one-piece wheels for hard usage if anyone is deciding on new wheels" kind of comment.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM

Jerry;
Maybe it would help if you could give some examples of problems you have seen with the Weld two piece wheels. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2005, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Jerry;
Maybe it would help if you could give some examples of problems you have seen with the Weld two piece wheels. Thanks!
It has something to do with how the two halves are joined together. They start creaking or popping enough for the driver to notice it with the windows closed, though none have actually failed and caused the wheel to come apart. I haven't actually seen any of them after they're brought in under the warranty, I just authorize their replacement.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:57 PM

Hmmm..... Very strange as that has to be some of the best welding i've seen on aluminum. Without knowing the bafe facts; it's really hard to judge the integrity of this wheel. I wonder if these were large trucks doing things they shouldn't have been doing? Each one of these wheels is rated at 3200lbs. I'd venture to say that i'd have to drive her off a cliff or be hit sideways by one of those big "Weld wielding" trucks to break one of these wheels at the welded seam.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:03 PM

The vast majority of trucks I install them on are F150 and Chevy 1500, with a few Dodge 1500 trucks thrown in. So as far as trucks go, they're not like F250-sized. Don't get me wrong, it's not a huge problem but I have seen problems with them and we're aware of it in my nationwide organization. I'm always under pressure from my peers to use the one-piece Weld wheels but they're also a lot more expensive and the two-piece problem isn't a constant thing.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:03 PM

The vast majority of trucks I install them on are F150 and Chevy 1500, with a few Dodge 1500 trucks thrown in. So as far as trucks go, they're not like F250-sized. Don't get me wrong, it's not a huge problem but I have seen problems with them and we're aware of it in my nationwide organization. I'm always under pressure from my peers to use the one-piece Weld wheels but they're also a lot more expensive and the two-piece problem isn't a constant thing.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
I'd venture to say that i'd have to drive her off a cliff or be hit sideways by one of those big "Weld wielding" trucks to break one of these wheels at the welded seam.
Or maybe the 3rd time will be the charm with me around.

Survived the possiblity of death twice with your Jeep, wanna go round three?
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer
Or maybe the 3rd time will be the charm with me around.

Survived the possiblity of death twice with your Jeep, wanna go round three?
Shush! It was all your fault!