Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 04-08-2005, 03:38 PM

Transfer Case 4 WD Indicator Switch for 94 Wrangler

Can someone tell me the proper name of this switch which is on the rear of the transfer case. An actuator (vacuum or air pressure driven) activates the switch which turns the 4WD indicator light on the instrument panel. Model is 94 Wrangler YJ - 6 cyl. Actually, I'm less interested in proper name than where to acquire one and how much I can expect to pay. Thanks in advance
Old 04-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I don't know about the name of the part you're talking about, but I'm 99% sure that the 4WD indicator light on a YJ is activated by the vacuum shift motor. If you look at the passenger axle tube you'll see the motor with a few vacuum hoses hooked to it and a pair of wires for the indicator light.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:25 AM

Jeff: Thanks. You are correct. On the '94 the wires come from a small unit attached to vacuum shift mechanism you describe. The switch is turned off/on (in/out 4WD) by vacuum from this unit. This may be a dealer only item. Hope not. Regs, Tom
Old 04-11-2005, 07:43 AM

4WD Hardware sells all the parts for the front D30 axle disconnect. Before buying parts, I'd try to nail down the problem. On one of my old YJ's, the front axle disconnect stopped working because battery acid got on the vacuum line and put a hole in it. I'd start by testing the disconnect motor manually using a vacuum pump or a manual pump (your mouth, it works ). Anyway, if I were to guess, I'd put my money on a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. There is also the possibility that everything is fine and it is only the light not working. Have you tried putting it in four wheel drive and doing tight turns on pavement to see if it is engaging or not?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:56 AM

Jeff: The tranny guys (just had it rebuilt) tested the vacuum. They actually took the unit apart (also used air to move the yoke shaped unit inside the adapter back and forth). He used a meter to test the voltage from the switch and got erratic readings. I believe the 4WD is working. Though I took it back to my son at school over the weekend. I'll ask him to do the test you recommend to be absolutely positive it is going into 4WD. Note: The light is working under certain conditions. For example it was on all the time when I got the Jeep back from shop. It appears that it was plugged in backwards. When on the way home with it the time before last that I took it back to the shop.....the light voluntarily came on & stayed on - it was not in 4WD. Is it possible that they have the vacuum lines reversed coming from the transmission or is there only 1. Finally, is there any documentation available on the web to refer to that you know of?
Thanks, Tom
Old 04-11-2005, 08:43 AM

It is possible to have the vacuum lines on backward. If the light is on, the shift fork is engaged on the vacuum motor. If that is on while the transfercase shifter is in 2WD try to reverse the direction of the vacuum hoses. If the front driveshaft is spinning while you are in 2WD then the shift motor is incorrectly engaging the front passenger axle. Also, if you put the tcase in 4wd and the 4wheel drive light turns off then the vacuum lines are reversed. I think you're on the right path for hunting this down. Unfortunately, I don't know of any online sources for specs on this. If you have a 4WD hardware catalog you'll see the schematic for the YJ front D30 axle assembly.

Good luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM

Thanks, again, Jeff. I'll let you know how it comes out when we get to it this weekend. Best Regards, Tom
Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

here is a picture for you.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-11-2005, 11:08 AM

Eric: I'm a bit of a klutz when it comes to getting links, etc. The icon that I believe I should click on for the picture is a little red x in a box. When I click it nothing happens. Thanks for trying to help me with it. Regs, Tom
Old 04-11-2005, 12:41 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/faff21b1.jpg
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 04-14-2005, 07:21 AM

4X4 Vacuum Diagram

Eric: Thanks. I'll let you know how we come out. Regs, Tom
Old 06-16-2005, 11:25 AM

Jeff - another question on replacing with posi lok

Jeff: Was it you who sent me directions / a writeup on how you and a buddy swapped in a posi lok for a vacuum lock?

Thanks for indulging. Regs, Tom
Old 06-16-2005, 12:20 PM

Re: Jeff - another question on replacing with posi lok

Quote:
Originally posted by TomL
Jeff: Was it you who sent me directions / a writeup on how you and a buddy swapped in a posi lok for a vacuum lock?

Thanks for indulging. Regs, Tom
Nope, wasn't me.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:04 PM

I sought help on repairing the 4WD engagement and switch. Went the Posilok 920 route that was suggested here. It works. Difficult part is engineering the routing of the cable from dash, thru firewall and down to the axle. I recommend using the 3 feet of 5/8 inch hose for abrasion and heat protection. It's a fairly close fit between the exhaust manifold/headers steering rod and front axle/shaft. Still, it works. Was helped by Jeff and others. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:04 PM

I sought help on repairing the 4WD engagement and switch. Went the Posilok 920 route that was suggested here. It works. Difficult part is engineering the routing of the cable from dash, thru firewall and down to the axle. I recommend using the 3 feet of 5/8 inch hose for abrasion and heat protection. It's a fairly close fit between the exhaust manifold/headers steering rod and front axle/shaft. Still, it works. Was helped by Jeff and others. Thanks.